Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jr manager in one of irelands biggest chains

Options
  • 14-11-2010 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hi i work as a manager in retail and we got told by the store manager on friday that all mangers have to work sunday (today) at 8am till wat ever time needed on our day off and that if we had plans we had to cancel them.

i told them that i could not work as i had to mind my 10 month old child that is in a body cast as my partner was going off.

The senior managers said that i had to be in either that they didnt care about my plans. I told them i could not get child minder as is hard to find and leave the child with someone other than myself, partner and her mother due to my childs condition.

We were told that if we all dont turn in we would be issued wit a written warning even that it is our day off. They exspected me to even bring my child into work wit me.

I contacted the senior managers by txt this evening telling them i wont be in as i cant get anyone to mind the child and that i would not be bringing her in due to her not being well but got no reply.

Do you think i am in right not working and putting my family first i dont get paid for working any extra hours or dont get time owed i am contracted only to do 45 hours 5 over seven days. But they use the excuse of that business needs and expect us to be doing extra hours nearly every day

please leave feedback thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

ciarangt wrote: »
    hi i work as a manager in retail and we got told by the store manager on friday that all mangers have to work sunday (today) at 8am till wat ever time needed on our day off and that if we had plans we had to cancel them.

i told them that i could not work as i had to mind my 10 month old child that is in a body cast as my partner was going off.

The senior managers said that i had to be in either that they didnt care about my plans. I told them i could not get child minder as is hard to find and leave the child with someone other than myself, partner and her mother due to my childs condition.

We were told that if we all dont turn in we would be issued wit a written warning even that it is our day off. They exspected me to even bring my child into work wit me.

I contacted the senior managers by txt this evening telling them i wont be in as i cant get anyone to mind the child and that i would not be bringing her in due to her not being well but got no reply.

Do you think i am in right not working and putting my family first i dont get paid for working any extra hours or dont get time owed i am contracted only to do 45 hours 5 over seven days. But they use the excuse of that business needs and expect us to be doing extra hours nearly every day

please leave feedback thanks
    You are 100% correct. Theyre trying to get away with doing what they want coz of the unemployment situation. "we can get em to work for peanuts shur-otherwise theyll be on the dole".It wont work.

Advertisement