Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Obi Mikel

• 14-11-2010 4:36am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Mikel? Do you rate him? He has completed the most passes in the Premier League in the last 3 years. 1000 more than Paul Scholes. Over the past few seasons there have been few players who divided so much opinion among Chelsea fans as Mikel (Kalou aside) But this season he really has stepped up a gear. his vision is absolutely top notch, his work rate, tackling have made him become undroppable. I believe he will become one of the best players of his generation. Would you want him in your team?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Im tired so short answer, yes.

Very good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I don't think he perfoms in the big games if I'm being totally honest. Often seems lost and games seem to pass him by. He's a bit too big and seems slow and slightly akward when playing against top players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Actually He hasn't put a foot wrong in the big games!! was super against arsenal!

Himself and Kalou have been chelsea's two most improved players this season. Very good player and playing with Confidence now!!

It was revealed that Ancellotti asked him to expand his game and put in more forward passes . You could see how happy the chelsea players were for me when he got the assist for Anelka against wigan earlier this season. They all went over to celebrate with Obi instead of nico!

I reckon if Obi Mikel had joined United instead of Chelsea, he would be a world class player instead of the very good footballer he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

1000 more passes than Scholes? How many games has Scholes played ?Im sure Carrick has more passes than Scholes so that says it all. How many assists has he got in those 3 years? If Essian hadnt been injured for the last 3 season I dont think he would have got much game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Very Improved this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't like him at all. I'm sure he does a lot of donkey work but I wouldn't particularly like him in my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I believe he will become one of the best players of his generation.

Not a chance imo. Good player though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not a fan, he is having his best season but I still wouldnt pick him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I reckon if Obi Mikel had joined United instead of Chelsea, he would be a world class player instead of the very good footballer he is now.

What rubbish ,

He has been given the chance at Chelsea and plays week in week out for the blues , my favorite player this season.

His first couple of seasons he was not great but they stuck by him and turned him into the player he is today imo,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm a fan. He's never going to be a superstar, but he does the spade work and can go forward too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

IMO he's a good player but not a great player. I think Chelsea could replace him very easily yet they struggled to replace Essien when he was injusred. Just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

What rubbish ,

He has been given the chance at Chelsea and plays week in week out for the blues , my favorite player this season.

His first couple of seasons he was not great but they stuck by him and turned him into the player he is today imo,

Many people think he has not fulfilled his early potential, maybe the poster is referring to that. When he came to the football worlds attention playing for Nigeria in the World Youth Cup, he was much more creative than the role he plays for Chelsea allows him to be nowadays. Nigerians still think still think he is being mis-used and he is not getting a chance to improve his all round game. Maybe at United, he would have had more licence to play with more creative freedom.

But I think he is still an excellent player. Not as good as Essien, but that is hardly a crime. United, City, Arsenal and Liverpool would all have a better midfield if he played for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think he is growing into a role that is different to the role it looked like he would have when he was younger. He has the physical attributes and range of passing to be a top class deep lying midfielder in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I was about to take this seriously until:
    I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Mikel? Do you rate him? He has completed the most passes in the Premier League in the last 3 years. 1000 more than Paul Scholes. Over the past few seasons there have been few players who divided so much opinion among Chelsea fans as Mikel (Kalou aside) But this season he really has stepped up a gear. his vision is absolutely top notch, his work rate, tackling have made him become undroppable. I believe he will become one of the best players of his generation. Would you want him in your team?

But I suppose I should at least humor it. I have nothing against Mikel, he is a quality player and would probably fit in any team in the premiership and do a good job, will never be recognised as one of his teams best players but does a good job nonetheless.

Advertisement