Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best estate near Ardkeen to buy House?

• 14-11-2010 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying a house in one of the estates near Ardkeen Hospital and was wondering what peoples opinions are on the housing estates out that way?

I am looking for a place for about €200K so with the prices dropping I would think that most estates out there are possible for about this price now or maybe after the budget in Dec anyway?

I am looking for somewhere that will be peaceful and a decent place to bring up Children while still being close to the shops etc. so they can be walked to on a nice day.

Interested in taking peoples views on where is good and where is not...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

I have friends who live at the back of Earls Court and they have never had any bother...they love it there.

I have family in Collins Avenue and again, they have never had any trouble whatsoever..they love it and said they would never move anywhere else..there is a great sence of community in the avenue that they are in

There is also an estate across the road from the Woodlands Hotel (the name escapes me) that my other friends live in with a young family and again they love it there..I've never heard any bad reports from people I know living in these estates.

Maybe other people would have more views or opinions?

Hope this helps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 apexx

Earlscourt is a nice place,it is 10 mins walk from the hospital,5 mins walk from a shop,it won best large estate this year,nice big greens infront of every road for kids to play on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Yeah Earlscourt looks decent and the price in there for a 3 bed semi seems to be about €180k at the moment.

I think for €200k might be able to go for a 3 bed detached soon!

Any reports on Viewmount, Grantstown Park, Ardkeen village, Grange Manor or anywhere else out there that I have missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Grange Manor and Ardkeen Village are nice enough as well..I've lived in both places at one time or another but (and maybe it was the street i was in) there was never any sense of family if that makes sence? There were a lot of doctors and rented houses around me and children would have no one to play with. Ardkeen Village especially I found was mainly rented houses to either single couples (of which i was one at the time) and professionals as opposed to lots of young families so if you were looking for somewhere long term with established families and less rented houses i'd go with either Earls Court or Collins Avenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm 13+ years in Viewmount and it's been a quiet estate until this summer when a certain TD brought Moyross to the place after he moved scumbags into his rented house and the scumbags friends moved in across the road and made our lives hell.

A number of neighbours and myself got them out though and they've been moved on and life has gone back to being peaceful again. With all the landlords handing houses over to the council I've heard of such trouble moving into most of the estates in recent months.

The house across the road from me sold in the early summer and is rumoured to have gone for €150. It's a large 3 bed semi-detached house with a garden and off-street parking.

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    The house across the road from me sold in the early summer and is rumoured to have gone for €150. It's a large 3 bed semi-detached house with a garden and off-street parking.

Yeah Viewmount is definitely an option, how is the sound insulation between the semi-detached houses there?

I think I would forever kick myself if I bought a semi and could then hear everything that is happening next door!

I see a 3 bed detached in Viewmount was advertised for €199k a few weeks ago and I heard it went for €175k and excepting this price meant it sold within a couple of weeks.

I think come early next year most 3 bed semis will be about €150k and detached houses going for about €180k - €200k in places like Viewmount.
    Anyone at the moment that is not pricing their houses at that will not sell.

Anyone got experience with Grantstown Park with it being one of the newer estates out that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 igglepiggl

hiya I have lived in Grantstown park since it was built 13 years ago, We love it here very quite the only thing I would say is decide where your children will attend school as traffic going into town in the morning is a nightmare if going to ballygunner school u will have no problem...

grantstown park houses are timber framed and are very quick to heat and hold the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 happythirties

I've been living in Powerscourt Lawns for the last few years, I find it a nice place to live. There's a small shop on the estate for convenience sake, the estate itself is generally well kept, there are a good few kids about who usually populate the green during the summer, the estate is very quiet and it's within walking distance to shops, pubs, restaurants etc... prices should be similar to Earls Court, given that the house designs are very similar, same builder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

reni10 wrote: »
    Yeah Viewmount is definitely an option, how is the sound insulation between the semi-detached houses there?

I think I would forever kick myself if I bought a semi and could then hear everything that is happening next door!

I think the sound insulaton is much better than some newer houses. Noise hasn't been an issue for us until this summer when the anti-social scumbags moved in next door and they did not behave like normal people but they've been moved on elsewhere to torment other people.

There's a good sense of community and by the neighbours sticking together and watching out for each other and keeping records of all that was happening as well as putting pressure on the landlords is what finally worked in getting rid of the scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I live in grange manor(2 1/2yrs now) and I find its very quiet, not a bad sense of community either. There's loads of kids around who seem to all play together and certainly on my street there are mostly owner occupiers. Some rented but you'll get that everywhere.
    Very quiet area, my street is a culdesac and there's nobody on the street who should'nt be there really.

There are some upsides when you compare it to earlscourt/collins ave etc:
    Takes 20mins to walk to city centre(rubys)
    No traffic jams in the mornings or evenings! That one is a big plus.
    Cutting through ardkeen village it takes about 7mins to walk to tesco, 10mins to ardkeen stores, 9mins to uluru.
    1min driving to the outer ring road, 5mins to city centre.

You get the idea!

• Advertisement

igglepiggl wrote: »
    hiya I have lived in Grantstown park since it was built 13 years ago, We love it here very quite the only thing I would say is decide where your children will attend school as traffic going into town in the morning is a nightmare if going to ballygunner school u will have no problem...

grantstown park houses are timber framed and are very quick to heat and hold the heat.

I see there are 4 bed semi's going for about 150k in Grantstown park now:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=566677

These houses any good?

So have heard of the decent estates to live in out there but what about ones that people think should be avoided?

Any comments there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

So have heard of the decent estates to live in out there but what about ones that people think should be avoided?

Any comments there?

Plenty of threads on here about such estates,just do a search im sure you will find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Prices looks set to drop another 30% or so according to both McWilliams and Morgan Kelly. You'd be crazy to buy unless you get a really good deal. You'd really want to be in it for the long haul and have a steady job, and even then, why pay 50K more than you have to?

I'd wait another few years and rent until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

merlante wrote: »
    Prices looks set to drop another 30% or so according to both McWilliams and Morgan Kelly. You'd be crazy to buy unless you get a really good deal. You'd really want to be in it for the long haul and have a steady job, and even then, why pay 50K more than you have to?

I'd wait another few years and rent until then.

People say rent is dead money, but interest payments are too. I think you are right. And when house prices rise again I strongly doubt they will massively shoot up.

There is nothing to indicate that prices are currently undervalued.

Yeah I think at least another 20-30% drop in the next few months.

I am in no hurry and thankfully do not need to go to the bank for a loan so have the cash available.

IMF Bail-out and Budget going to really hurt Ireland and the first and hardest hit will be property sales.

3 Bed Semi's will go to about 120k I would say with detached homes at about 150k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Madness when you think about it. I bought one very recently but it was the old family home so got a very good deal for it.

I'd definately wait a year OP. See the lay of the land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Ardkeen village is after coming along in the last few years in the family area.. i lived out there about 10 years ago, and it was all just rented, professionals no kids.. but i moved back out about 6 months ago and i have to say there are way more families out there now.. i like it, its a nice area.. my 2 cents :D

best of luck on yer house hunt :-)

I am in no hurry and thankfully do not need to go to the bank for a loan so have the cash available.

IMF Bail-out and Budget going to really hurt Ireland and the first and hardest hit will be property sales.

Don't want to panic anyone, but I don't trust the government's bank guarantee as the government itself could go bust.

There is protection up to €100,000. Its just best not to have all your eggs in one basket. I reckon credit unions and TSB are safest, then EBS or Bank of Ireland.

I'd hate someone to have saved up for a house and see the money gone, when the bondholders already got their money back.

I definitely do not trust the Irish Government or any Irish Financial Institute so my money is far away from any irish bank that is for sure!

I will never put any substantial money in any Irish bank ever again, the risk of losing it is just too high.

You are dead right though dayshah if anyone has any serious money in the bank then get it out now before it is too little too late!
    It is actually more secure under your mattress then an Irish Bank at the moment which is a very sad reflection on Ireland.
    dayshah wrote: »
    Don't want to panic anyone, but I don't trust the government's bank guarantee as the government itself could go bust.

There is protection up to €100,000. Its just best not to have all your eggs in one basket. I reckon credit unions and TSB are safest, then EBS or Bank of Ireland.

I'd hate someone to have saved up for a house and see the money gone, when the bondholders already got their money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I moved a lot of my savings to Germany a few months a go. Not much by any stretch of the imagination but would rather have my money safe in a solid economy.

ziedth wrote: »
    Madness when you think about it. I bought one very recently but it was the old family home so got a very good deal for it.

I'd definately wait a year OP. See the lay of the land.

I think its good to buy now if there is a house that is special for some reason. Maybe its close to relatives or something.

But I wouldn't buy a house just because I want a general house, if you know what I mean.

Advertisement