Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Kit from Amazon

• 14-11-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Hi, Has anybody on here bought kit from Amazon. I have been looking at the prices and they seem quite good with free delivery as well.
    How reliable have you found them?
    Some examples and comparisons below

Canon 7D
    Canon 70-200mm f4 L IS USM lens
    Canon BG-E7 Battery grip
    Canon LP-E6 Battery

Amazon - Stg£2143 = €2521

Shop up North Stg£2395 = €2818 (and add in fuel costs)

Shop in Dublin €3210 (that has web site with prices)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

mikka631 wrote: »
    Hi, Has anybody on here bought kit from Amazon. I have been looking at the prices and they seem quite good with free delivery as well.
    How reliable have you found them?
    Some examples and comparisons below

Canon 7D
    Canon 70-200mm f4 L IS USM lens
    Canon BG-E7 Battery grip
    Canon LP-E6 Battery

Amazon - Stg£2143 = €2521

Shop up North Stg£2395 = €2818 (and add in fuel costs)

Shop in Dublin €3210 (that has web site with prices)

Amazon are brilliant, have ordered from them many a time - and at those prices it's well worth it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

As long as you're buying direct from Amazon and not one of the shops they host I'd have no problem giving them 100% reccomendation, I've bought loads and loads of stuff (not just photographic) from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just for my own interest I had a look at the OP's list on www.computeruniverse.de, maybe I picked something wrong but looks like it might be worth his while to have a look.

They're a good reputable company as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

When you were looking at the Amazon price did you go to the very last step in the checkout? They will add the differance in VAT on at the end. I think it is an extra 4%.

Also I tried to buy a 7D off them recently (2-3 months ago) and they would not ship it to Ireland. When I complained to them they said that they don't ship them here but it is always under review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Is the shop in the North Calumet, if not try them on price. They will deliver by courier to your door. I have found them excellent.
    www.calumetphoto.com
    Belfast Boucher Plaza Unit 2
    4-6 Boucher Road
    Belfast, BT12 6HR 02890 777770 M-F 9 to 5:30
    Sat. 9 to 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Another recommendation on buying from amazon they have a very good reputation but just ensure you hold on to the receipt in-case anything happens to the kit in the future.

I have recently bought a 55-250 canon is lens from camerabox and have no complaints about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Is the shop in the North Calumet, if not try them on price. They will deliver by courier to your door. I have found them excellent.

Yes it is Calumet. I have ordered from them in the past and I have found them to be excellent to deal with also.
    I was just curious about the Amazon deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Hi,

Just to say if the Dublin shop you are pricing from is just off Grafton St, they are probably the most expensive around.

I'm sure many here would recommend Gunn(e?)'s on Wicklow Street for great service, good prices. They don't have a website but you could give them a call.

Maybe Amazon is still a lot cheaper than Gunn's, and if so go for it. But if the difference isn't that big you might better off buying local in case of problems and also to support local business.

I'm not judging you, and if the saving is big I'd agree with buying online. Just my 2 cent worth.

Enjoy the new kit wherever you get it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

Here's a special offer from on a canon camera from Amazon. Havn't a clue what it would cost here.

http://www.dealcatcher.com/digital-cameras/canon-rebel-xs-10-1mp-digital-slr-camera-with-18-55mm-is-55-250mm-is-lenses-tiffen-58mm-uv-filter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

I would dearly love to support local business it's just the price difference especially when on a tight budget that forces the decision.
    I might approach some shops and maybe ask to see if they can split the difference between the North and South price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement