Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi repeater/extender

Options
  • 14-11-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a device that can pick up wifi and throw it out again, ideally using the same network, rather than having 2 networks in the house.

I looked at one or two on amazon and some of the reviews say that they can be tricky, or sometimes impossible, to set up.

Anyone have any suggestions on what device to get, and the best method to set up the device using a Win7 Laptop (I'm a mac guy myself, and while pretty technical and able to pick stuff up, my knowledge the whole network language stuff is at about 25%..)

All help welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

why dont you use an apple airport express?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not a broadband issue. Thread moved to Wireless forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

BArra wrote: »
    why dont you use an apple airport express?

forgot to mention it's not actually for me, so its a Windowz household, just saying i could set it up on the mac.
    jor el wrote: »
    Not a broadband issue. Thread moved to Wireless forum.

Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

buffalo WHR-HP-G300N, it does exactly what you saying :)and not tricky at all.

akamossie wrote: »
    buffalo WHR-HP-G300N, it does exactly what you saying :)and not tricky at all.

looks good, but looking on amazon and it doesn't say anything about picking up a wifi network and throwing it back out again?

• Advertisement

thats true, because they released new firmware, where you can make your Router act as a slave for the existing wireless.

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-n-nfiniti/whr-hp-g300n-airstation-wireless-n-300mbps-cable-router/

The feature is WDS, Slave(EC) which means Ethernet converter

Does that mean it has to be hooked up by ethernet in order to do it or can it happen wirelessly?

both ways works, i have through wireless anyway

I'm going to trust you on this!! Its for the OH's parents so this better work!!

it will work, i am willing to give you instructions step by step if you wish :)

• Advertisement

Cheers :) I may well take you up on that but hopefully it's as easy as it's been claimed!

Advertisement