Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not as advertised - Aquarium

Options
  • 14-11-2010 2:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought an aquarium from a place in Galway.

On the retailers website it is advertised as 288l. I'm after discovering (after a lot of time and effort not to mention money that has been put in the aquarium) that the aquarium is totally unsuitable for my needs.

What options do I have?

The tank was bought with cash and I cant find a receipt. I do have emails from the retailer about the transaction and the website link showing the price saved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

is it unsuitable because of its size?

change of mind does not give you any options in refund or replacement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

unsuitable for size.

I've stocked the tank based on it being a 288l tank (as advertised) as opposed to 180l which it actually is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Antigone05 wrote: »
    is it unsuitable because of its size?

change of mind does not give you any options in refund or replacement.

Unless it was advertised as being 288 but is in fact smaller. Is that the case OP or is it just that you need a new one that's bigger?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

greetings wrote: »
    Unless it was advertised as being 288 but is in fact smaller. Is that the case OP or is it just that you need a new one that's bigger?

See above

godtabh wrote: »
    See above

Sorry,that post hadn't come up when I posted.
    Simple enough really,a full refund. Goods must be as described by the seller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

greetings wrote: »
    Sorry,that post hadn't come up when I posted.
    Simple enough really,a full refund. Goods must be as described by the seller.
    or an exchange for a 288l one but you may have trouble without the receipt unless any of the correspondance by email shows you bought it there in that shop.

Right I have an email train showing price agreed and when it would be delivered.

I have link to his website where he is showing it advertised as 288l

I will email him now and ask him for a refund or a suitably sized 288l tank and she what he says

I will also send him a registered letter. I will give him 2 weeks to respond and if no answer is received go to the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If you don't have an invoice or receipt with it listed as 288l then take a screen-shot of the website. Not exactly ironclad but then what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Right I have an email train showing price agreed and when it would be delivered.

I have link to his website where he is showing it advertised as 288l

I will email him now and ask him for a refund or a suitably sized 288l tank and she what he says

I will also send him a registered letter. I will give him 2 weeks to respond and if no answer is received go to the small claims court.

Have you had any correspondance with the seller after you realised it is not suitable? - and if so what did he/she say?

I only realised yesterday and today was the first contact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I only realised yesterday and today was the first contact

Then absolutely do not start threatening with small claims court / solicitors or any such thing as this will prevent the seller wanting to help you in any way.

Most busineses are decent and want to keep customers happy. Simply explain in a very decent way what the issue is and you'll probably find they'll be very accomodating.

And my guess is that anyone selling aquarium goods has an interest in fish, so have general chit chat about your fish, what you've had before, what you hope to have and get the seller to want to help you. (if you talk it up he will see you as a potential long term customer).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

91011 wrote: »
    Then absolutely do not start threatening with small claims court / solicitors or any such thing as this will prevent the seller wanting to help you in any way.

+1, I think you're far too quick off the starting blocks looking for legal remedies, have a chat with the guy. I'm sure if he's operating a bricks and mortar shop that it's a genuine mistake because the specs. on the tanks will say the capacity so it's very unlikely that he's deliberately trying to fleece you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

91011 wrote: »
    Then absolutely do not start threatening with small claims court

Agree 100%

I sent the email and letter

I didnt say I would go to the small claims court but would have to look at pursuing the matter through alternative routes.

He got back to me this evening so hopefully we can sort something out

I sent the email and letter

I didnt say I would go to the small claims court but would have to look at pursuing the matter through alternative routes.

He got back to me this evening so hopefully we can sort something out

I hope you get it sorted before the registered letter arrives.

Sounds like you did jump the gun in fairness a bit quick OP. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

As others have already said, you're very quick to send of letters and emails mentioning legal action. There is a very good chance that all you will achieve is getting the shop owners back up.

When it was delivered, did the packaging and paperwork not state it to be 180 rather than 288l? Also, surely the dimensions of the piece when you got it should have given the game away, seeing as one is substantially physically smaller than the other?

Fey! wrote: »
    Also, surely the dimensions of the piece when you got it should have given the game away, seeing as one is substantially physically smaller than the other?

That's a good point, if you multiply the length x width x depth in cms you get the capacity of the tank in cubic centimetres (c.c.), divide that number by 1,000 and that's your capacity in litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

coylemj wrote: »
    That's a good point, if you multiply the length x width x depth in cms you get the capacity of the tank in cubic centimetres (c.c.), divide that number by 1,000 and that's your capacity in litres.

Can be a little trickier on a bow fronted tank but you're right, it should be something that can be identified reasonably easily - particularly with 100L of a difference.

OP let us know how you get on.

I assume this isnt your first aquarium?.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Fey! wrote: »
    surely the dimensions of the piece when you got it should have given the game away, seeing as one is substantially physically smaller than the other?
    In reality most people have feck all concept of volumes, I work as an engineer and deal with water tanks all the time, I am not too bad at doing estimates but a lot of people have difficulty.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    In reality most people have feck all concept of volumes, I work as an engineer and deal with water tanks all the time, I am not too bad at doing estimates but a lot of people have difficulty.

This is right. I see volumes of fridges and freezers at work and generally people haven't a clue,not that I'd be the best either.

Advertisement