Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

film on the somme?

Options
  • 14-11-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭

guys,

have there been any decent films made about the somme? i've seen a few documentries and the discovery channel's mockumentary but ive yet to find a good feature length.

modern if possible but old film suggestions greatly accepted aswell.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Nothing off hand comes to mind about the Somme.There has been another movie released lately called Beneath Hill 60 based on Australian tunnelers in Belgium,it's not a bad movie and worth watching and I believe can be viewed on YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

cheers.

ill check that out.

shame there's been nothing about the somme. very interesting and terrible battle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

shame there's been nothing about the somme. very interesting and terrible battle!

try "The Trench" it deals with a company of british soldiers in the hours leading up to the battle of the Somme. its worth a watch, you might want to try "Passchendaele" also worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭WillyWaggler

There's a documentary on the Somme you can watch on 4oD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Paths of Glory, lads.

Paths of Glory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

try "The Trench" it deals with a company of british soldiers in the hours leading up to the battle of the Somme. its worth a watch, you might want to try "Passchendaele" also worth seeing.

Good film. Although OP if you're purely interested in the 'war' scenes just note the first few scenes and the final 20 odd minutes. In between is just a drama. From the title of the film I expected much more but was a decent watch and
    the final battle is harrowing and stuck with me for ages. Really well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Good film. Although OP if you're purely interested in the 'war' scenes just note the first few scenes and the final 20 odd minutes. In between is just a drama. From the title of the film I expected much more but was a decent watch and
    the final battle is harrowing and stuck with me for ages. Really well done.

you are on the money there. thought it was going to be a proper war movie from start to finish myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Beneth Hill 60 is feckin excellent tho.

Trivia : The box in the film IS the same Box Timmins made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

This is all you need.

Im currently looking for it online. Being propaganda it has been censored but I've always prefered the original stuff, all original footage etc...
    if you've watched documenterie's on ww1 youve probly seen a good few scenes from this.

im also looking for The Battle of the Ancre and the Advance of the Tanks

Advertisement