Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Veg

Options
  • 14-11-2010 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Well, I got down cabbage, beans, Garlic and Japanese onions that should - one hopes - be up by May.
    Also going in next week are rhubarb cuttings to a new, dedicated fruit bed.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Kales grow well , Hungry Gap might be the best for an early cropping variety.
    You could grow other brassicas as well, purple sprouting brocc. etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I got two Kales down, Tosca Negra and blue curly dwarf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Thats one of the winterbeds, mostly winter and spring cabage and a few winter onions

winterbed3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Bought some first earlies onion sets and will plant them this weekend. Would also like to get some garlic down. Would ordinary supermarket cloves produce bulbs? Thanks, first time planting these veg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I grew garlic from a supermarket bulb last year and it was very successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I also have garlic and onions planted, they are just sprouting now. I am about to plant some winter lettuce aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I hope anyone that has root veg in the ground has a good covering of straw to keep the frost damage down.

Advertisement