Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable fullbore clubs?

Options
  • 14-11-2010 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

To make a long story short (or not); I am interested in purchasing a rifle for the purposes of deer stalking (at some point in the future), but do not have any permissions so I will need to join a club that can accommodate a stalking caliber (i.e. 6.5x55). I've looked around and the only club that I've found that has a fullbore range is Midlands, but to join it's 600e for a new member (!) - so I'm looking for an affordable club somewhere within a reasonable distance from Dublin. I've done a bunch of shooting/stalking back home (in Canada) and taken the NARGC course, so I'm trying to navigate the red-tape maze here in Ireland.

To complicate things further, I will likely be moving to the UK within the next year, so I will be unable to qualify for a Firearms Cert until I've lived there for 6months (to gain "residency"). I will, however, be able to get a European Firearms Pass, but you can't purchase firearms with the European Pass -making it fairly useless if you don't have a rifle to begin with. So ideally, I'd like to purchase a rifle here and then move with it, using the European Firearms Pass until I gain residency.

So if anyone has any thoughts or ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

TCos wrote: »
    .......... the only club that I've found that has a fullbore range is Midlands, but to join it's 600e for a new member (!) -

The Midlands charge €585 for the first year only. There is a registration fee of €300 included within this price. The membership fees for every year after that is €285. Pretty much the cheapest in the country for the amount of facilities you have access to.

........... so I'm looking for an affordable club somewhere within a reasonable distance from Dublin. ............To complicate things further, I will likely be moving to the UK within the next year, ........

Before rwading further please note I'm not having a go at you and understand your situation.

This is going to be your problem. Basically you are looking for a gun club/range to join that will allow you get the license for your deer stalking rifle, after which you do not intend to rejoin the following year as you are moving to England. Personally i cannot see any club and definitely no range allowing someone to join for the sole purpose of aquiring a license. When you use the club/range to get your license its in esscence down to them to vouch for your character and ability, etc, etc. For them to knowingly allow you to join to get your license/rifle then leave will send out the wrong message about that range/club and may cause issues for the range/club with the Gardai when more new members apply for their licenses using the range/club.

Thats probably not the answer you were looking for, and i could be wrong. Maybe there is a club or range out there that would do this for you, but i do not of any. Sorry.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

To make a long story short (or not); I am interested in purchasing a rifle for the purposes of deer stalking (at some point in the future), but do not have any permissions so I will need to join a club that can accommodate a stalking caliber (i.e. 6.5x55). I've looked around and the only club that I've found that has a fullbore range is Midlands, but to join it's 600e for a new member (!) - so I'm looking for an affordable club somewhere within a reasonable distance from Dublin. I've done a bunch of shooting/stalking back home (in Canada) and taken the NARGC course, so I'm trying to navigate the red-tape maze here in Ireland.

To complicate things further, I will likely be moving to the UK within the next year, so I will be unable to qualify for a Firearms Cert until I've lived there for 6months (to gain "residency"). I will, however, be able to get a European Firearms Pass, but you can't purchase firearms with the European Pass -making it fairly useless if you don't have a rifle to begin with. So ideally, I'd like to purchase a rifle here and then move with it, using the European Firearms Pass until I gain residency.

So if anyone has any thoughts or ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I'd go along with Ezri's comments on value and add that IMO you've misunderstood the Firearms Pass. The latter is not a licence, it is more like a gun passport that is specific to the guns for which you have a licence and is not issued on its own.
    Additionally, on a single year membership of a club - you are obliged to notify the Gardai if any of the conditions pertaining to your application have changed - lapsed membership of a range is certainly a notification requirement.
    Rs
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

he Midlands charge €585 for the first year only. There is a registration fee of €300 included within this price. The membership fees for every year after that is €285. Pretty much the cheapest in the country for the amount of facilities you have access to
    . There is a registration fee of €300
    And still a rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TCos

Thanks for the info and honest opinions.

I think I may have given the wrong impression about getting a license and then moving. There's a chance I may need to move, so I'm trying to get all my angles covered if that does happen - that being said, I wouldn't expect a club to take on a new member just to have them use them as a reference and leave.

The whole process is fairly frustrating because I have to go through the same licensing procedure here that I had to do back home to import guns I already own. Gotta love bureaucracy!

marlin vs wrote:
    And still a rob

How so?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

...... There's a chance I may need to move, so I'm trying to get all my angles covered if that does happen - .....

All of what i said still stands true (IMO), but honestly there is nothing to stop you joining a club/range and then leaving a year later.

My point was that other than using a club/range to get the license some ranges and most clubs are looking for a level of dedication to the club/range from their members. Again unless you are upfront with them about your intentions there is nothing to stop you.

Having said all that you seem genuine and are just "covering the bases". On that note there are a serious of ranges and clubs around the country. An authorised range may be your best option. No real input needed other than to go and shoot. As to which range is best, its a hard call. The Midlands is the best range in the country simply on amount of ranges, disciplines covered and the yearly renewal price of the membership. Have been a member of a few different rages/clubs over the years (Eagles, etc) and they were great for closeness to Dublin. I joined the Midlands in 2001 as it was closer to me after i moved out of Dublin.

Most ranges in Dublin have .22lr facilities. Others have both .22 and shotgun, then there are those with shotgun, pistol, gallery rifle, and .22lr. The problem is there are not alot with fullbore ranges and none with anything over 200mtrs. The only other range in the country that has a 300mtr/yd range is An Riocht in Castlemaine (LRRAI). I think i read somewhere that one or two ranges are trying or are developing 300mtr/yd ranges which is great news.

I'm not sure on prices on membership for these clubs/ranges. I know some are in the region of up to €800 per year every year. Others could be alot less and i'm hoping there will be members of other ranges/clubs on soon to discuss or even PM you details of their fees. In the meantime here is an old-ish list of ranges/clubs. Try ringing a few and go visit some of them to see how they work and which suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

ezridax wrote: »
    How so?

You a member ezidax ?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

You a member ezidax ?

As am I and I agree 100% with what he has said in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

As am I and I agree 100% with what he has said in this thread

I agree with Bunny Shooter 110%
    €5.49 cent or so a week is not a big ask, less than a packet of fags!

And you get IFA Countryside insurance with that (saved me ~€500 on my vodafone bill too)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Pretty much all clubs have a joining/registration fee. There are a number of reasons for this:

1. It puts new members on the same footing as existing members who have put their hands in their pockets and given freely of their time to improve and develop the club's facilities.
    2. It helps ensure commitment to the club by the new member, who having invested in the club will be less likely to move to another club or just leave.
    3. It helps fund future development of the club for the benefit of all members.
    4. It almost always represents value for money. The facilities most clubs provide for their members can be quantified in tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of euro and a joining or registration fee of €300 is usually a tiny fraction of that. It will be patently obvious whether or not this is the case.

Saying it's robbery is asinine. If you join a club and pay a fee to do so, that money goes straight back into the club directly for your own benefit. If you're not prepared to make a long term investment in your sport, my suggestion is that you take up something less demanding on your pocket, commitment and time.

Advertisement