Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone as MP3 Player??

Options
  • 14-11-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry in advance for the long post but I'm in a bit of a quandary:
    I teach dance classes - currently using a bulky cd player. Just bought a guitar amp which could connect to my ipod, instead of lugging a large cd player around (better sound, less weight).

My Ipod (classic, 20gb) died and I need to replace it (with some sort of device that I can play itunes from).

Was gonna buy the ipod touch...but I'm also on the lookout for a new phone. Checked out smartphones as a way of combining the cost.

So my question is: For a budget of approx €300 - €400, (500 at a push)
    can a smartphone (android / apple or other) function as a way of playing my itunes (only need a small selection of tunes saved to the device at any one time) from an amp (i.e. would it enable me to connect to an amp by way of using some sort of cable configuration)?

I'm familiar with mp3/ipods being dockable and I assume I can find a cable to connect the dock to the amp, but not sure of the configuration with a smartphone which isn't designed primarily as a music device.

I'd simply go with the iphone but tbh it's well over my budget, hence looking for an alternative.

Other phone requirements would be pretty basic - no major web browsing, just checking emails. Would require good camera and video (often video 2 min. dance class routines).

Any advice or product suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

honestly i got an iphone recently and i have to say id find it hard to go back to a normal phone. all your itunes purchases will just transfer onto it i dont think u can do that with an android or other smart phone-i could be wrong though. but in my opinion ipnones the best its worth the extra bit of money! its an all in one for me from the apps to pass time even my OH half loves it and the games. all your music on it, taking pics and videos i love it and intend it to last me for a long time, vertually anything u need on it is possible-but like i said thats just my opinion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Anything will do you tbh. All you really need is a handset with a 3.5mm jack on it, and 99% of them have that now.

As you said yourself, you only need a few songs on it at a time. Most will take 8/16/32 and even some double that of storage on mass memory or via memory card.

Basically look what you want more of a phone, because they will do what you need it for.

Nokia do have a music setup like itunes. You can purchase online or on the phone, and have copies saved to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭salsagal

Thanks guys for the feedback. It definitely makes things easier knowing most devices will do the trick. Might go get me a HDC Desire so.

Hmmm..I wonder if the phone shops will actually have sales/discounts over Xmas, or will their sales be so good that a Jan sale is unlikely.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Check out http://www.gsmarena.com/

When it reviews a phone it does a section on sound quality.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_desire-review-468p8.php

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I can highly recommend the Samsung Wave S8500

It has a 3.5mm headphone jack and superb sound quality on the output. It has the same level of build quality and hardware as an iPhone at half the price. I believe in GSM arenas testing it came second to the iPhone in technical specs related to it's sound output.

I hook mine up to my HiFi and it sounds as good as my 15gb iPod, if not better. It will take a wide variety of music formats, including AAC which is what you get from the iTunes store, though I am not sure about ones purchased with DRM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

cnocbui wrote: »
    I can highly recommend the Samsung Wave S8500

It has the same level of build quality and hardware as an iPhone at half the price.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If i was you id look around at HTC Surround. Its a purely music dedicated windows phone with a 3.5 Audio jack. Not sure if its around in any of the carriers but its worth a look. As the only purely music dedicated phones are Nokia XpressMusic series phones (which are good in terms of music) but not anything else :)

Advertisement