Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing options for single father?

Options
  • 14-11-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi all

I am looking for advice on what route to take in getting my own place. I will give you my situation in a nutshell.

25 year old single father (take my daughter part time) still living at home with the folks. I have been holding out for full time employment so I could be able to afford to let an apartment, but this is still a problem in the current climate etc yawn!

I am starting to look at council options as I am getting desperate at this stage, my daughter is getting a little bit too old to share a bed with her daddy when I take her.

so what I'd like to know is:

how to apply for housing list/placement?
    how does rent supplement/allowance work these days?

also I understand there is 2 new schemes under the council, one were you can source your own property if you are on the council list.

excuse my ignorance I am a bit clueless on how the system works. I have gone through the official websites but they only offer snippets of informations. I'd like to hear from 'real' people in the same or similar situations or have experience.

Thanks for any help in advance it would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Google rent allowance rates ireland ,citizens information ie,
    i dont think theres any special treatment ,for a single man, whose a father,
    .YOU are treated like any single person, most people on ra end up living in bedsits, flats ,unless you can show the welfare officer your daughter is living with you full time.
    go see centrecare cathredral st dublin 1 for advice or threshold stoneybatter office.
    a SINGLE MOTHER always gets a house or large apartment on ra ,if she wants one.
    I dont wanna be rude ,i dont think the hse can just give anyone that has kids thats separated 2 houses on ra at a time when there is cuts to welfare health service essential services, being proposed by the government etc ,ie 1 house each for mother and father.
    house in dublin = 900 minimum rent per month.
    but i know single pensioners down the country who are renting houses on ra .
    in dublin a single person gets about 110 max rent on rent allowance ,
    each part of the country has different ra rate ,depends on is it shared accomodation.
    but rents are much cheaper outside dublin.

you have to get on the housing list be4 you can claim ra,go to council fill in the forms.
    my advice go to centrecare ,get advice.
    re sourcing home ,they have schemes for part rental/purchase and council mortgages
    if your income is under 35k per annum.
    i see schemes ,now and again on the website, ie they were selling 1 bed apartments new for 130k, a few months ago to people on the social, low cost housing list.
    my friend got a council mortgage to buy an apartment 9 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

in 12 months from now 130,000 for a 1 bed shoebox or apt will seem like a crazy amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

ironically story about this in today's Irish Times - 35% deposit required for 1 bed apt.....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1111/1224283089638.html

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

I'm sure there is still a long waiting list for the council, Have you tried Vouluntary housing schemes list repsond, focus and Circle VHI? I'm sure somebody said to me last week that Circle have a couple of empty apt in tallaght at the moment because they charge a higher % of social than the council.

The council,only rent 1bed flats to single people, over 60, or people on disability allowance. they may give you a 50/50 mortgage if you are earning enough to pay one.WITH the bank crisis i think houses will decline in price by at least 30 per cent in the next year.ITS not smart to buy anything right now.go in to threshold or centrecare for proper advice re housing ,renting etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I recommend spending some money on a lttle bed for your daughter and make the room nice for her when she stays and ride out the bad times. I know its not ideal but you are lucky to have parents to be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I recommend spending some money on a lttle bed for your daughter and make the room nice for her when she stays and ride out the bad times. I know its not ideal but you are lucky to have parents to be able to help you out.

+1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rightnwrong

ricman wrote: »
    Google rent allowance rates ireland ,citizens information ie,
    i dont think theres any special treatment ,for a single man, whose a father,
    .YOU are treated like any single person, most people on ra end up living in bedsits, flats ,unless you can show the welfare officer your daughter is living with you full time.
    go see centrecare cathredral st dublin 1 for advice or threshold stoneybatter office.
    I dont wanna be rude ,i dont think the hse can just give anyone that has kids thats separated 2 houses on ra at a time when there is cuts to welfare health service essential services, being proposed by the government etc ,ie 1 house each for mother and father.
    house in dublin = 900 minimum rent per month.
    but i know single pensioners down the country who are renting houses on ra .
    in dublin a single person gets about 110 max rent on rent allowance ,
    each part of the country has different ra rate ,depends on is it shared accomodation.
    but rents are much cheaper outside dublin.

you have to get on the housing list be4 you can claim ra,go to council fill in the forms.
    my advice go to centrecare ,get advice.
    re sourcing home ,they have schemes for part rental/purchase and council mortgages
    if your income is under 35k per annum.
    i see schemes ,now and again on the website, ie they were selling 1 bed apartments new for 130k, a few months ago to people on the social, low cost housing list.
    my friend got a council mortgage to buy an apartment 9 years ago.

I agree with this suggestions. You can use this as reference or guidance. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

JoeyJJ wrote: »

yeah or take the couch. we came from an equiv 4 bed apt shared just between the two of us to sharing a room and having flatmates so we would have money for other things like travel! better to be safe/comfortable and with cash to spare then having it all go to living expenses every month and penny pinching. Money issues can be stress, and that is not healthy. :) As long as you still have a goal that you are working toward... saving up to be in a better position to buy/etc when the time is right... and you are not just mooching off the parents, then there is everything right with just sitting tight for a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No they don't. There are many single parents with ordinary sized apartments or flats.

• Advertisement

ALL the single mothers i know can get 3 bed houses on rent allowance if the wish, as long as its under 930 rent limit.IF they want to get council house they must have 2 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lacha

vaalea wrote: »
    we came from an equiv 4 bed apt shared just between the two of us to sharing a room and having flatmates so we would have money for other things like travel! better to be safe/comfortable and with cash to spare then having it all go to living expenses every month and penny pinching. Money issues can be stress, and that is not healthy. :) As long as you still have a goal that you are working toward...

Hello Vaalea,

Hurray for finding someone with the same mentality as myself. I've posted a few times looking for like-minded people in Galway. I won't give up! It was an encouragement to read your post. Thanks!

a SINGLE MOTHER always gets a house or large apartment on ra ,if she wants one

You should rephrase this to SINGLE PARENT.

Because the gender of the parent has no relevance when it comes to rent allowance.

What matters is who the children are considered "resident" with, that determines what rate their parent qualifies for, not their parent's gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lacha wrote: »
    Hello Vaalea,

Hurray for finding someone with the same mentality as myself. I've posted a few times looking for like-minded people in Galway. I won't give up! It was an encouragement to read your post. Thanks!
    Please don't drag up old threads without good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

As a seperated farther, you are entitled to accomadation that suits your needs. You obviously need an extra room for your daughter and rent alowance will accept this (or should do). You are entitled to have your child come and stay with you.
    Before anyone says I am wrong, I am a seperated farther in recipt of RA. I have 3 children who come and stay with me 3 days a week. Rent office told me I am entitled to a 3 bed house. I found one and they pay RA. Dont let them tell you that your not entitled to it, if they do, see your TD. Your entitled to a family life.

Advertisement