Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing money from the UK to Ireland

Options
  • 14-11-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

I am working in UK and paid in the UK. I want to send money back to Ireland at times so what is my best option? Bank transfer is £20 a time so I want to see is there a cheaper/better value way to do and also when I should do it. I have lots of options like getting a cheque or a draft and bring it back and lodge, bring cash or things like that. I would be sending maybe between £1-3k at a time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

For the lowest fees etc. if you don't want to go through a currency broker I'd say buy euro drafts from a UK bank and then lodge them in Ireland. There's no fees beyond any commission/fee for actually buying the draft (i.e. the amount on the draft is the amount that ends up in your Irish account).

I always used to do it that way and still do vice versa (ROI to UK).

Or, if you'd rather carry cash get it commission free at the Post Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DraughtHorse

Just done the same from Ireland to Australia using currencyfair.com... very cheap. Cost me €4 to take €2000 across and the exchange rate was only .005 off real-time markets. Unbelievable service too even from the other side of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

glanman wrote: »
    I am working in UK and paid in the UK. I want to send money back to Ireland at times so what is my best option? Bank transfer is £20 a time so I want to see is there a cheaper/better value way to do and also when I should do it. I have lots of options like getting a cheque or a draft and bring it back and lodge, bring cash or things like that. I would be sending maybe between £1-3k at a time

Get some tax advice.

You are repatriating funds, and this money is liable to income tax.

I would suggest cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

Get some tax advice.

You are repatriating funds, and this money is liable to income tax.

I would suggest cash.

sounds like it isnt liable to tax - he has already paid tax on it in the uk.
    its like saying when he moves home he will have to pay tax on all his savings

Advertisement