Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquake swarm in Arabian Peninsula and Africa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Isn't there like a triple point of major fault lines or something there? Don't think eq's there are that unusual.

earthquakes there are normal. A swarm such as we are seeing today is not normal.

''to put things in perspective i did a history on this area. looking back to 1950 thru yesterday this area had 56 earthquakes ranging between mag 4.0-5.9. Nothing greater than mag 5.9 showed during that date range. so if the USGS data is accurate basically one earthquake per year on average at mag 4.0 or greater. ''

[link to neic.usgs.gov]

Allegedly..:)

Yeah but I'd say if you were to look at it on a scale of a few hundred of thousand years then it wouldn't be all that unusual, the same way a volcano might not erupt for a couple of hundred years but when it does erupt its not unusual, cause its a volcano. :pac: Thats what I meant when I said I didn't think it was unusual to see earthquakes at fault lines.

I see what your saying...-ish LOL

check this out .

5. Susceptibility to Natural Disasters

The tectonic process which formed the mountains of Yemen and caused immense volcanic activity from the beginning of the neozoic age (some 70 million years ago) continues even today. The Arabian plate which separated from the African continer to form the Red Sea still moves eastward a few centimeters each year. Today, there is no volcanic activity, but the “fires of Yemen” are remembered in history. Hot springs testify to fact that the earth has not completely settled yet. The severest earthquake of this century hit the Dhamar region in 1982, taking 2502 lives and affecting more than 265,000 people in 1072 villages and hamlets. The earliest recorded earthquake was in 742 AD in Sheba land. 25 earthquakes are believed to have occurred since the 8th century. The last earthquake, which measured 4.5 on the Richter scale, occurred in the Udayn region west of Ibb in November 1991, and killed 26 people. In February, 1993, Aden suffered major floods which killed 12 people and caused extensive damage to property and the city’s aging drainage and sewerage systems.

heres a list of some of them for your perusal :)

Notice the depts, none very deep at all.

http://www.iris.washington.edu/seismon/zoom/events/?lon=43.64&lat=12.3

• Advertisement

fantastic link for zooming right in. New to me anyways.. LOL

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=198987#maps

neic_c0000ak0_s.jpg

Shows locations of mag 4/5 quakes (including todays ones) since 1990.

Advertisement