Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

winter glasses/goggles

• 14-11-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering what eyewear people are wearing to stop the winter tears flowing? I bought these CLICK but the tint is too strong for the dark morning commute so I sent them back. I'm looking for something that won't fog up if possible and with plenty of visibility for around €30 if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
    Farrelli

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

Cycling glasses with interchangeable lenses are handy to have, and cover any lighting situation. Examples of such glasses can be found at: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=2153&x=17&y=7&SortBy=Price

XLC, a German brand, and one of the brands listed at this link, have such glasses that might be worth checking out. I personally got the XLC Bermuda glasses last winter for the purpose of cycling with a hybrid in the darker winter conditions - and have been happy with the quality of them for the price (approx. €13, at the time). I have started to use them again recently, as the evenings got darker. I can change the lenses as I require - e.g. darker lenses for earlier in the day, and amber lenses for a return trip later in the evening... Depending on the lighting conditions, the amber lenses actually make everything appear brighter than when viewed with the naked eye - the opposite effect of darker lenses... They have never fogged up on me either. Choosing a type may be influenced by your riding style, e.g. hybrid vs road bike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

At this time of year, clear lens are best for commuting, unless u can change lens during the day. Some days you need dark lens because of the sun, other days you need yellow lens to brighten up dull days. Then when it's dark you need clear lens. The best compromise is clear lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

I had a set of cheap interchangable ones but I was never happy with the fit. Bought these recently and am happy with them, good fit, fogging not a problem. Just over €10 delivered

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Bolle-Contour-ESP-Safety-Glasses-FREE-storage-pouch-/360086921313?pt=UK_SportingGoods_SportsSunglasses_SM&hash=item53d6da6061

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭farrelli

Thanks for the replies, ended up getting a pair with triple lenses for all occasions. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've found the glasses a hindrance on rainy (and sometimes dry) nights, particularly on the Clontarf coastal path where I'm to the right of oncoming traffic. The glasses just white-out in headlamp glare and I can't see a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I've found the glasses a hindrance on rainy (and sometimes dry) nights, particularly on the Clontarf coastal path where I'm to the right of oncoming traffic. The glasses just white-out in headlamp glare and I can't see a thing.

Maybe polarized cycling/sports glasses to reduce/eliminate glare might be worth checking out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

07Lapierre wrote: »
    At this time of year, clear lens are best for commuting, unless u can change lens during the day. Some days you need dark lens because of the sun, other days you need yellow lens to brighten up dull days. Then when it's dark you need clear lens. The best compromise is clear lens.

i always rock the yellow, especially at night, they are fantastic for taking the glare out of oncoming vehicles lights. and with the darker mornings, im never out in daylight so, yellow FTW.

Advertisement