Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers FAI FordCup Champions !!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I had to be at a stupid work conference on Sunday - in Dublin of course! So I was sick, would have loved to have been there. Heard nothing mentioned on 2FM on the way down that night in the car. No doubt if Shams had won, 2FM would have had it on. Regardless, well done Rovers a great season and more of the same for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well, its week on. Still a great feeling. So what were we all at this time last week. Had just had the best breakfast i had in an awfully long time, and was in a little gastro pub beside lansdowne rd. Sligo, Shams, and neutals drinking and chating together, discussing the match, the staduim, and the LOI generally. All getting along very well.

It was bright but chilly afternoon, a huge improvement on the wind and rain last year at the the Tallaght Staduim. Felt much more like a football match, plenty of colour, singing, and banter, was on the soft drinks my self after slightly over indulgence the night before, but still having the laugh and enjoying the craic.

Walking towards the level crossing with the gleming staduim looking down at me was a huge difference to the timber and steel that I had experienced in the old Lansdowne, but once steping inside and feeling that cauldron of noise, you felt that this could be a special day.
    I had to be at a stupid work conference on Sunday - in Dublin of course! So I was sick, would have loved to have been there. Heard nothing mentioned on 2FM on the way down that night in the car. No doubt if Shams had won, 2FM would have had it on. Regardless, well done Rovers a great season and more of the same for next year.

Dont know about 2fm, but todayfm did give it alot of coverage in all their bullitens that night. Had a little smile on my face everytime the sports announcer came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 D Boyo

Nearly a month on and still feeling superb about it, DVD being launched tomorrow of season highlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Enjoyed the game. My only Sligo game this year Im ashamed to say. It was nostalgic to hear that Bananramas song (Na na na na) being sung as it was in another one of my sunshine supporters seasons in 83 I think.

My nephew was intrigued with the Sligo mascot (Benny?).

We reckoned he dissapeared for the entire match.We thought he was in the stand but decided it was a someone in a santa claus outfit. Then he was on TV the day after coming last in a charity mascot race.

None of your superhero antics like shams green eejit. Turnup for the Pres,sink 7 pints in the Aviva pub and come out for the adulations after the victory. Pure class!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

T runner wrote: »
    My nephew was intrigued with the Sligo mascot (Benny?).

We reckoned he dissapeared for the entire match.We thought he was in the stand but decided it was a someone in a santa claus outfit. Then he was on TV the day after coming last in a charity mascot race.

I could see him from where I was sat, he spent most of the game leaning up against the advertising hoardings behind the goal where most of the Rovers fans were think he headed up into the stand at one stage.

He is a really lazy mascot. Say what you want about Shams and their fans (and I have, not much of it repeatable), but Hooperman knows how to get a crowd going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

'Benny' is a Sligo Rovers supporter, and like the rest of us, had waited years for a final like that.

I don't blame him for standing watching the game rather than running up and down the sidelines like 'Hooperman' during the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

clap cheer get off your a$$ and join in in the odd chant. people are like sheep if one person does it the rest will follow.its cringe worthy to see the mascot getting people going..its a cup final they should need no excuse..

I could see him from where I was sat, he spent most of the game leaning up against the advertising hoardings behind the goal where most of the Rovers fans were think he headed up into the stand at one stage.

He is a really lazy mascot. Say what you want about Shams and their fans (and I have, not much of it repeatable), but Hooperman knows how to get a crowd going.

I was in the stand behind the goal, I thought it was a brilliant atmosphre, again, a fantastic effort from the Forzas. Voice was horse after the match from all the cheering and singing.

Seen Benny a few times interacting with the kids at the front, posing for pictures. Hes intitled the watch/enjoy the game as well though. Think Bennys role/image at Rovers is slightly differnet from Hoopermans at Shams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

clap cheer get off your a$$ and join in in the odd chant. people are like sheep if one person does it the rest will follow.its cringe worthy to see the mascot getting people going..its a cup final they should need no excuse..

I dont think the mascot was needed that much to be honest. However, you can get a lull in even the best supporters for tense periods of the match (as happenned during cup final): and a mascot can be useful for these periods.

He could have been in the pub and I wouldnt have minded, dont like the idea them too much either, although theyre a bit of craic for teh kids i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Yenoor10

It'd be nice for some of the 10,000+ Rovers "fans" on the day to turn up in the Showgrounds every now and then. But of course, that won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

That has to be the worst post ive ever seen on a forum. Benny is as big a Rovers fan as there is and you are an idiot.

Its a cup final, you dont need a mascot to get you you going

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Yenoor10 wrote: »
    It'd be nice for some of the 10,000+ Rovers "fans" on the day to turn up in the Showgrounds every now and then. But of course, that won't happen.

this post ain't much better!!.... people travelled from all parts of the globe to make it to the final and if you knew the history and nature of rovers supporters you would know that not being able to make it to the showgrounds for every game does not make them any less of a supporter.

Wexler12 wrote: »
    That has to be the worst post ive ever seen on a forum. Benny is as big a Rovers fan as there is and you are an idiot.

Its a cup final, you dont need a mascot to get you you going

Attack the post, not the poster, next poster gets an infraction if a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

dardevle wrote: »
    this post ain't much better!!.... people travelled from all parts of the globe to make it to the final and if you knew the history and nature of rovers supporters you would know that not being able to make it to the showgrounds for every game does not make them any less of a supporter.

Well at a conservative guess we had about 15,000 supporters at the game. We average about 2,500 at our home games so I highly doubt that 12,500 of the supporters travelled from abroad and I am guessing that is what he is referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Team gets more supporters at reduced price cup final than average weekly home attendance. Shocker.

Money is money.

Hopefully some of those fans who made the trip to the final will have enjoyed themselves, like what they saw and become more regular at the showgrounds.

Been a long time since i looked forward to the season beginning as much as this.

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Team gets more supporters at reduced price cup final than average weekly home attendance. Shocker.

Money is money.

Hopefully some of those fans who made the trip to the final will have enjoyed themselves, like what they saw and become more regular at the showgrounds.

Been a long time since i looked forward to the season beginning as much as this.

Have to say, on this occasion the FAI got it right, a huge advert for the league, and with Sligos cup double hopefully an increase in attendence and revenue for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Advertisement