Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

can someone give me advice

• 14-11-2010 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi
    I an thinking about buying a games console for a christmas present. But my other half cant decide x box or playstation. :confused:I asked a couple of friends and can't get a straight answer. He is into online gaming, plays a lot on the pc online.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is watching Blueray DVDs important to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wellie49

not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Not exactly a neutral forum to ask in - this is the Xbox forum, most people are biased :D

It's been recommended loads of times before - but whatever platform your friends have, or your other half's friends have. No point in getting a PS3 if everybody is an xbox user - you can't have the craic with online gaming or swap/borrow games then :)

There are very few reasons to pick one over the other, most games are released for at least two out of the 3 platforms (PC, Xbox, PS3). There'll be the odd PS3 exclusive title (e.g. God of War 3) but it shouldn't be something that sways your purchasing decision IMO :) Maybe the blu-ray player in the PS3 is an advantage for the PS3, or maybe you already have a standalone blu-ray player.

Go with your budget, there will be some good deals on the console bundles (console+games) online coming up to Christmas :)

For a more neutral forum you might try Games -> Games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah the age old question.

Well PS3 and Xbox are fairly similar in terms of gaming experience.

The PS3 has blueray and free online gaming.

Xbox has no blueray and you have to pay for an online subscription to play, however ive found the servers are better maintained due to the cost which means the online experience is an improvement over PS3.

Between the 2, get both :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You will find it hard to get a straight answer as people have preferences, both are more or less the same, as gaming machines.

Personally i get more use out of the PS3 because i can go online and watch youtube and films/tv shows on the big TV etc.

PS3 is free to go online as well

But if he only wants a gaming machine either will be fine just get the best deal price wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Get him and Xbox if his main interest is games especially FPS Halo etc, Plus most other games like red dead and call of duty look better on xbox.

for online gaming Xbox live is great and is better then PS network but you will have to fork out €50-60 a year on gold membership, plus if you have sky, the sky player is great.

Plus PS3 is more expensive.

Bottom line and I am not biased as I have both systems. is that I would go for an Xbox if I had 0 interest in bluray, otherwise it may be more worth while going for a PS3.

Advertisement