Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 English Poets

• 14-11-2010 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

You'd think I'd have learned from last years leaving certs' mistake but nope! I'm after looking over the past 10 papers 2s (all the paper 2s from the new course) and I've picked which 5 that I think will come up! Now I'm not holding my breath and will study all poets we do in class but I'll give these extra attention!

What do you guys think?!

Wordsworth (has never, ever, ever come up so I'll cover him well!)
    Dickinson (came up once, in 2005)
    Hopkins (came up in 2004)
    Boland (came up twice, 2005 and 2002, but after last years mishap I don't know)
    OR
    Frost (2007 and 2003) but I think either him or Boland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Pretty much same as what my English teacher predicted. We had done Boland and Frost only last year. Leaving us with room if two of them came up. I know a lot of people who done 3-4 poets last year and they all came up. Leaving them with a lot of work this year.

The poets i'll be studying and * with detail ;

Wordsworth *
    Dickinson *
    Hopkins *
    Boland *
    Frost

Poetry my favorite section, I'm tied between cutting either Dickinson or Hopkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

We did Rich, Frost and Wordsworth last year.

Hated Rich! Frost was ok and I can't remember what I thought of WW.. I'm going to get to love him though..! :L :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

I've decided not to try and predict the paper. I'm gonna study the ones I like personally and find it easiest to write about. I'll be covering 5 anyway, as I want to be sure I'm covered :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Me and my teacher (And my entire class) are betting on Boland, Dickinson, Wordsworth and Frost

Boland and Dickinson rock. Wordsworth isn't too bad and Frost just bores me. We aren't doing Rich or Hopkins so i've no idea what they're like.

We aren't doing Rich or Hopkins so i've no idea what they're like.

Rich hates men, doesn't believe in Love and thinks that woman are stupid for falling in love..! Quite depressing, truth be told!

My teacher (and another teacher who had higher English last year but has not Leaving Cert class this year) were apparently very 'I told you so' after Boland didn't make an appearance because ''you can never predict what comes up''... So all predictions we make will be done in secrecy..! ;)

I'll show them when I get full marks for my amazingly prepared Wordsworth answer...! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

A bit off-topic, but what poets are on the Leaving Cert 2014 course? Are they the same?

A bit off-topic, but what poets are on the Leaving Cert 2014 course? Are they the same?

When I was doing my predication research (:P) it was very hard to find the prescribed poets over the past few years. I don't think the poets will be out until June 2012 (before the ''class of 2014'' start 5th year)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

I think that the SEC could possibly exclude some of the "predicted" poets this year as everyone seems to be assuming the poets who came up lat year are automatically not going to come up this year. If the SEC are taking an approach of "unpredictability" then I would guess that not all the "predicted" poets will come up. That's my idea anyway.

I have my suspicions that either Dickinson or Boland will definately come up and possibly Frost. I'm not predicting, as we all saw where predictions got people last year. I just think that a question which is worth 50 marks is not worth all that stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Nope, here they are: Dickinson,Yeats,Bishop,Larkin,Kinsella,Plath,Heaney and Mahon .

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

I'm not going to go into the predicting game! Not after what happened to last years students. There may be a mentality of "oh well they won't screw us like they did last year" YES, they just might do that!

So, cover a good few poets and keep yourself covered for all possibilities. Rich was asked last year but who's to say she won't come up again this year? And they may just skip Boland again to catch out the chancers! Sure there might be some patterns in the past papers but that could all change.

The LC is more competitive now than at any time previously. More and more people will be looking for very high marks in English and setting an unpredictable paper will be just one of the ways the SEC will look to expose unprepared and lazy students.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ReveBleu

Hey new poster here!

Other people's predictions seem to be in line with mine. I'm guessing:
    BOLAND
    DICKENSON
    WORDSWORTH
    and one of YEATS/ FROST/ HOPKINS

I know Yeats came up last year but it has been quite a few years since the same poet has come up twice in a row (2003-2004, PLATH) and the SEC seem to want to be seen as 'unpredictable' (plus he's Irish and won't come up again until 2014).

To the OP, don't forget that some poets haven't been on the course for quite a number of years, so that's why they haven't been asked:
    Frost- last on the course in 2008 (not on exam)
    Dickenson- last on the course in 2005 (on exam)
    Hopkins I'm not too sure of.
    I don't think Wordsworth has ever been on the new English course, might be mistaken though!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mozzypuffs

ReveBleu wrote: »
    I don't think Wordsworth has ever been on the new English course, might be mistaken though!

No , he never has been asked in the exam, i think only once in a mock paper!

Im hoping the exact same as the others will come up too!
    But i dislike Dickinson poems....very derpressing!
    Im learning Wordsworth, Boland, Hopkins and Frost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

For some strange reason after reading these replies,I have become really about my stupid english teacher , who has only covered :
    1)eavan boland
    2)patrick kavanagh
    3)adrienne rich
    4)william butler yeats.
    Really I think i've wasted my time know & I'm not very condfident in my english at all !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

And so it begins again......:)

Seriously lads, don't even try and predict. Last year's Boland debacle cost a fair few people a college place.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    For some strange reason after reading these replies,I have become really about my stupid english teacher , who has only covered :
    1)eavan boland
    2)patrick kavanagh
    3)adrienne rich
    4)william butler yeats.
    Really I think i've wasted my time know & I'm not very condfident in my english at all !!!!!!

Make sure you cover Dickinson and Frost. I'm 99% sure they'll be on the exam. Dickinson is only on the course for this year, so I can't see the logic in them not asking a question on her. Frost hasn't come up in a while, just 2003 & 2007 - if you follow patterns, 2011 is the next acceptable year ;) - and his poetry is quite easy to get a good understanding of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

kev9100 wrote: »
    And so it begins again......:)

Seriously lads, don't even try and predict. Last year's Boland debacle cost a fair few people a college place.
    But that either makes it highly likely that Boland will come up this year OR if the SEC are going to be purposefully obtuse then highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I don't see how anyone can blame Boland on a college place. Going into the English exam with out 2 fool proof poets and a very solid third one is madness imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    1)eavan boland
    2)patrick kavanagh
    3)adrienne rich
    4)william butler yeats.
    we've only done Rich and Frost! time to start freakin' out ?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm doing Boland (you'd be mad not to, but I reckon they'll put up a tough question for her since people think she's a no-brainer), Rich, Frost, Yeats and Dickinson. Like them all tbh, Rich is a bit annoying but at least she's interesting and is fairly easy to write about.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

I'm doing:

1) P.Kavanagh
    2) E.Dickinson
    3) Hopkins

4) Not sure whether to do BOLAND or FROST?

Definitely not doing Rich or Yeats.
    I don't believe that either will come up this year.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance :p

• Advertisement

Its guaranteed that every year one woman must come up, simple as, learn the two female poets and you'll be fine, obviously learn one more (the obvious one) and you'll be set for your poets.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

i reckon i'l learn dickinson,frost,wordsworth,yeats and maybe rich
    we've covered all eight already but there is so much learning to be done we have to cut corners somewhere..
    i know predicting can be dodgy but surely its better to cover 4/5 really well rather than the 8 not that well..most people have 6 other subjects to be studying in fairness!!

Advertisement