Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is going to win the PL?

• 14-11-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Who do you think will win the league?

I thought it would be an appropriate time to make this thread, not least because of internationals meaning there's no club football until the weekend.

Going to put in three choices, I've no doubt people will be annoyed but frankly i don't care :P

I for one, think it's going to be United. Why?

I think United are yet to hit top gear, and I have real hopes that we are going to. I think we are getting back our best in the league defence. I think Rooney coming back will provide a big boost, as I expect him to regain his form. I also think that one of Carrick/Anderson/Hargreaves will step up and we'll have a good team.

I also think we're going to go out of Europe earlier than Chelsea or Arsenal, and will be able to concentrate more (which defo helped Chelsea last year).

Who will win the Premier League? 97 votes

Arsenal
    0%
    Chelsea
    34%
    PalefacePaulwfolanmoby2101Diddy KongcruiserweightDacelonidthe1andonly1[Deleted User]OPENROADShanotheslayerNozebleedCantGetNoSleepL'profoverexcitedajFreeOSCARSlickRicDeeper BlueDolph StarbeamSDTimeout 33 votes
    Manchester United
    65%
    VokesHelixyom 1Kingp35Unearthlyjoe123KevIRLapplehunterChardee MacDennisMr. PresentableJazzyd22ontourxabimikemacRefulgentGnomonJageratolosencgosplaneZe^Fuzzy_Dunlop 64 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

United are about to go into Christmas, which is always where we do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Manchester United
    Chelsea

I think it will come down to the head to head games just like last year, and they'll just edge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Manchester United
    I still think we(Chelsea) will win it but can see it being as close as last year with Arsenal in the mix come the end as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Manchester United
    Toss up between chelsea and United

or perhaps sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Chelsea
    I'll take a chance and say Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Why is chelsea written in Italics, hidden message maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Does anyone want to win it?? Never seen the big 3 struggle as much as they are this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I still think Chelsea have the strongest squad and the fewest weaknesses, but if Rooney can come back and find form United have a massive shout now as well. I maintain that Arsenal's frailties in defence and goalkeeper will come back to haunt them.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Because that's who you voted for

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Manchester United

yes the hidden message is you picked them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

:pac:

I think your screen's broken, it's not in italics for me.
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

United haven't hit top gear, but nobody really has yet. I wouldn't be so sure about them. Yes they managed a comeback against Villa yesterday but when they were 2 goals down and needed to bring on something off the bench the options were Macheda and Obertan. Their squad is nowhere near what it used to be. If they stay injury free they obviously have a great chance, but if not then they don't have the squad to rely on that Chelsea do.

Manchester United
    Because that's who you voted for

I am slow yes:o

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Manchester United
    Gareth Bale

or Chelsea.

Manchester United
    hitman79 wrote: »
    Does anyone want to win it?? Never seen the big 3 struggle as much as they are this year!

Last year?

Despite Chelsea's blip I think they will still win it, with utd in 2nd.

They can strenghten in Jan whereas united are skint and probably won't buy anyone.

Uniteds defense is pretty poor this season and they are also fairly reliant on Scholes imo. They need Rooney back asap as the other strikers will not win them f-all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

I think it will be as close as last year but think again Arsenal will drop out of contention around march due to smaller squad and i think injuries, suspensions & fatigue will catch up on them.

I also think United have yet to hit any kind of decent form yet they are 3rd tonight 3 points off Chelsea and i think when players like Rooney return we should kick on and hit top form. Chelsea can't be written off but i think United will edge it especially if they make a signing in Jan (altough they probably wont)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Manchester United
    Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Is there african nations in febuary and if so how many players will chelsea lose?

Manchester United
    Is there african nations in febuary and if so how many players will chelsea lose?

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Chelsea
    Some people saying Arsenal have a small squad is pretty stupid. It's quite big and I believe Arsenal are in the best position they have been in sometime, with guys like RVP coming back and Vermaelen yet to return to the defence aswell as Gibbs who I believe will be No.1 left back, Arsenal's squad is in good nick.

Chelsea have a very small squad but they have 15 guys who can go through a full season with very few injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I've deleted the nonsense, if you're not contributing or think it's stupid then stay out of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Even though i think chelsea have the better starting 11, i think united have a better overall squad so i reckon united to shade it. Arsenal could change all of that with a couple of buys in january but at the minute i think they're missing a few players to really compete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Chelsea
    I really dislike the whole Arsenal need to buy attitude. No, we don't and where we did , we have bought.

I'm going blind loyalty and i will say Arsenal. The noises of the squad have been quite good . Chelsea showing they too are now no longer immune to injury's and United only have that Aura that they are " Manchester United " Throwing away two goal leads and chasing the draw seems to be a new united habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

peabutler wrote: »
    Some people saying Arsenal have a small squad is pretty stupid. It's quite big and I believe Arsenal are in the best position they have been in sometime, with guys like RVP coming back and Vermaelen yet to return to the defence aswell as Gibbs who I believe will be No.1 left back, Arsenal's squad is in good nick.

Chelsea have a very small squad but they have 15 guys who can go through a full season with very few injuries.

All well and good having a big squad, not all well and good having a big squad of mediocre youngsters.

I think United will win it, I wasn't as confident last year about it as I am this year. I think the fact that we've been one of the top scoring teams in England without our main striker and missing our best/second best winger in Valencia. Carrick has also been promising, which bolsters the midfield a bit and Park hasn't been great at times but he's played some stuff as well. Chelsea are a lot more vulnerable this year than they were last year, imo and I can see United getting 4 points from the 2 games against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Manchester United
    Iago wrote: »
    I've deleted the nonsense, if you're not contributing or think it's stupid then stay out of the thread

Don't understand how my post wasn't contributing. The thread is called who is going to win the PL. I said that I think Chelsea will win the PL. I was also curious to know who Berba thought was going to win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Manchester United
    MR NINE wrote: »
    Don't understand how my post wasn't contributing. The thread is called who is going to win the PL. I said that I think Chelsea will win the PL. I was also curious to know who Berba thought was going to win the league.

check the poll and you find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Depends on what Frank Lampard and what Wayne Rooney returns.

If Essien picks up another injury Chelsea could be in a bit of trouble. But I don't expect Chelsea to drop many points, for me it's what gear United can get into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Le King wrote: »

I really do think that Lampard, Rooney or Van Persie could win this league for either team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

If Essien picks up another injury Chelsea could be in a bit of trouble. But Id don't expect Chelsea to drop many points, for me it's what gear United can get into.

My thoughts exactly, it'll come down to the second half of the year and whoever can stay at full strength the longest.

Chelsea need Lampard to return to full fitness.
    Arsenal need Van Persie.
    United need both Rooney and Valencia.

Once those players return the real race begins. And I still don't feel like City should be wrote off just yet, they may have another few tricks up their sleeves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Chelsea
    Don't think Valencia will be back all season

Manchester United
    Lampard has been consistently one of the best players in the league for the last number of years imo, hopefully the injuries won't affect him too much. You can bet he will be close to his target of 20 goals at the end of the season despite missing a number of months.

Johner wrote: »
    Lampard has been consistently one of the best players in the league for the last number of years imo, hopefully the injuries won't affect him too much. You can bet he will be close to his target of 20 goals at the end of the season despite missing a number of months.

10 of them deflected in :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Manchester United
    Either Chelsea or Arsenal. (Hopefully the latter.)

Manchester United
    10 of them deflected in :pac:

Of course. :)

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Of course. :)

I agree with you though. He'll be there or there a bouts with 20 odd goals at the end of the season if he recovers fully from this injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I voted Manchester United, but I don't care who wins it this year to be honest , cos it aint gonna be Chelsea ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Chelsea
    Surprised nobody has said Shamrock Rovers yet, usually you get those clowns in these type of threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Manchester United
    To those ragging on Arsenals squad:

Arsenal's bench today:
    Szceseny, Gibbs, Eboue, Denilson, Van Persie, Rosicky, Walcott

Chelseas bench:
    Turnbull, Van Aanholt, Bruma, McEachran, Sala, Kalou, Kakuta

(still think Chelsea will win the league though)

playa3 wrote: »
    To those ragging on Arsenals squad:

Arsenal's bench today:
    Szceseny, Gibbs, Eboue, Denilson, Van Persie, Rosicky, Walcott

Chelseas bench:
    Turnbull, Van Aanholt, Bruma, McEachran, Sala, Kalou, Kakuta

Be honest with yourself, Chelsea have a much better squad. The best in the league this year.

All those are young Chelsea players too. Very good young players at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Manchester United
    Be honest with yourself, Chelsea have a much better squad. The best in the league this year.

All those are young Chelsea players too. Very good young players at that.

But the reason someone else said Arsenal's wasn't good enough is that we have too many young players? It's not like Chelsea have a huge amount of injuries either to have to resort to these youngsters.

They do however have a better first team.

[edit] Also the likes of Vela and Bendtner weren't included on the bench. Both full internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Manchester United
    arsenal i hope but i think chelsea will win it in the end. arsenal will no doubt have injuries to fab, rvp and others and we will have the usual excuses come end of season :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Chelsea
    Chelsea's squad is excellent, but ageing. I'm hoping (after seeing the team they had to play today) that they are becoming more injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Chelsea
    I went with Arsenal because I now firmly believe that this league can be won by any of those 3, they just have to grab it by the balls. Nobody has been convincing yet, but all are capable. Before today I would have said Chelsea, Arsenal, United. Now it's Arsenal, Chelsea, United. Come on the gunners!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

greendom wrote: »
    Chelsea's squad is excellent, but ageing. I'm hoping (after seeing the team they had to play today) that they are becoming more injury prone.

Chelsea's squad depth is so over rated IMO, I actually think United have a stronger squad when everyone is fit.
    Rooney coming back next week is a huge bonus for United, Valencia due back in February so he could make a huge difference come the end of the season.
    RVP and Lampard will obviously be big bonuses for Arsenal and Chelsea, but I really see United doing the business.
    Probably an obvious statement but United have Chelsea and then Arsenal in a few weeks and that will tell alot about this United team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bolton, Owen Coyle manager of the season. Kevin Davies stars in the CL 2011/12 season

World ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Any of the above.

imo Chelsea have the strongest 11, but United and Arsenal have better "25 man squads", I think injuries will decide the league. On that note, All three teams are due big players back in the coming weeks, things might become clearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Chelsea
    that was one massive blip by Chelsea today; one of the oddest results i can remember in the Premier League.

i'm going to flipflop from my early season prediction and plump for Arsenal.

Chelsea are not as good as we all thought; that much is now clear.

beating Everton today showed a bit of real mettle, and in Fabianski, don't laugh, i think they have a potential goalkeeper who could get them points that Almunia couldn't.

look at Wolves.
    even look at today.

i know you have the Newcastle game where he made a pig's ear of it, but i think if he can get solid, his shot stopping can help win them points they wouldn't otherwise get.

in reality though, as previously mentioned, i think it may all come down to who makes the biggest impact upon their return...Lampard, VP or Rooney.

as an admirer of their football, i hope it's Arsenal's year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If cesc can stay fit then I reckon Arsenal. Also be a plus if they can get Given in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Chelsea
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    If cesc can stay fit then I reckon Arsenal. Also be a plus if they can get Given in January.

We don't need Given, we have Fabianski :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement