Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is going to win the PL?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There is absolutely no way Arsenal will be signing a goalkeeper in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Chelsea
    There is absolutely no way Arsenal will be signing a goalkeeper in January.

Id be suprised if we signed anyone in January. Wouldn't mind Gary Cahill though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Manchester United
    It was Chelsea at the start of the season and it's still Chelsea today. That defeat was nothing more than a hiccup that came with half a defence and the two best midfielders missing. Not forgetting an under the weather Drogba as well.

Best squad in the league, and I doubt this thread would've come about had they beaten Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Chelsea are now average; Failanski is now a good goalkeeper

:rolleyes:

You lads are alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Manchester United
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    It was Chelsea at the start of the season and it's still Chelsea today. That defeat was nothing more than a hiccup that came with half a defence and the two best midfielders missing. Not forgetting an under the weather Drogba as well.

Best squad in the league, and I doubt this thread would've come about had they beaten Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That defeat was nothing more than a hiccup that came with half a defence and the two best midfielders missing. Not forgetting an under the weather Drogba as well.

The same could be said of United last season, where points were dropped due to injury. They ended up making the difference though.

Injuries may be the reason they dropped points, but the points were still dropped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Manchester United
    PHB wrote: »
    I really do think that Lampard, Rooney or Van Persie could win this league for either team.

you just love van persie!

id go with what flahavaj said. chelsea look the strongest and arsenal have too many weaknesses, still though they are in with a great shout. I personally dont see utd winning any trophies this season.. i say that now but im sure in 4 months ill be going "doh"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This thread certainly wouldn't exist if Chelsea had won yesterday, but they didn't win. They lost 3-0. Arsenal had a half a defence yesterday too...

I think Chelsea will probably win it narrowly but a lot depends on injuries. Their squad isn't as deep as it once was and a lot of their key players aren't getting any younger. Injuries and fatigue may cost them as the season goes on, but fit and on form they've the best eleven in the league.

Arsenal's squad really isn't that light anymore. The main areas of questionable depth are in goal (2 unproven, albeit young international keepers) and in the defensive midfield positions. Still, there's 2 international left backs, 2 international right backs, 4 international centre-backs, 5 international CMs, 5 international AMs and 3 international CFs. Not that being international means that much, but its a quicker way of emphasising quality than going through the squad individually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

But they didn't beat Sunderland, so that's fairly irrelevant.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Manchester United
    I've thought all season that Chelsea would win it but that was more down to the failings of other sides rather than them being that sensational themselves. I think they'll still squeeze home but there's definitely question marks over them. Having let the likes of Deco, Ballack, Joe Cole and Carvalho go there's a real lack of strength to their squad which is beginning to show. With the number of players that they have who are over 30 and with a very busy fixture list in Europe and at home to contend with there's a real chance that they could pick up injuries to key players and if that happens then I'm not sure they can cope.

Lampard is a real key. If he gets back and finds form then they'll do ok. At his age, and having played the number of matches he has played over 15 years (probably more than many players a few years older than him have played), I don't think it's guaranteed that he'll be able to play 35 games this season.

Arsenal really should be top by now. As a neutral I love Arsene Wenger and his philosophies on football but were it not for his blindspots for certain positions (especially goalkeeper) they'd be clear favourites.

Spurs & Man City may be off of the pace but they will never have a better chance of winning the league than they have this year. It just needs one side to show some consistent quality.

Manchester United
    baz2009 wrote: »
    But they didn't beat Sunderland, so that's fairly irrelevant.:confused:

It is relevant because it spawned a knee jerk thread.

If United lose next week will you expect a thread about how they are out of the title race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Manchester United
    It's not really a knee-jerk reaction. They've not been playing great for a while and yesterday's team must be the weakest that they've fielded in the League in six or seven years. I think it's fair enough to question their ability to hold onto their lead over the next six months.

If United lose next week will you expect a thread about how they are out of the title race?

Did it?

If Chelsea were on 36 points after 12 matches and then lost, it'd be a knee jerk thread.

But we're one third of the way into the season, and the league table is as follows:

Chelsea - 28
    Arsenal - 26
    United - 25

Seems like a good reason to start a debate, and the poll results suggest not everyone thinks that it's Chelsea's in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

playa3 wrote: »
    But the reason someone else said Arsenal's wasn't good enough is that we have too many young players? It's not like Chelsea have a huge amount of injuries either to have to resort to these youngsters.

They do however have a better first team.

[edit] Also the likes of Vela and Bendtner weren't included on the bench. Both full internationals.

Lampard, Essien, Alex, Terry, Benayoun

that's half a starting XI in fairness and some of their younger players (much like Arsenals to be frank) are very highly rated and won't be long about knocking on the door.

I think Chelsea win the league this year, United have a lot of mental fortitude but that won't be enough to do it, Arsenal are getting closer every season but really need to sort out their keeper situation and get a Viera type player back into midfield before they go all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Who said Chelsea were out of the title race?
    The loss yesterday has opened up the title race and shown that Chelsea are beatable.

I wouldn't expect a new thread to open up either, considering that this one isn't concerning only Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I think the last 3 games have highlighted Chelsea's reliance on their starting players, atm They are still favourites, but I think United/Arsenal are better equipped for injuries and general fatigue.

Some knee-jerk, yes, but I've also read some reasonable comments on a team that might have been overestimated.

Manchester United
    Did it?

If Chelsea were on 36 points after 12 matches and then lost, it'd be a knee jerk thread.

But we're one third of the way into the season, and the league table is as follows:

Chelsea - 28
    Arsenal - 26
    United - 25

Seems like a good reason to start a debate, and the poll results suggest not everyone thinks that it's Chelsea's in the bag.

If it's that simple then why didn't you start it after they won midweek?

These type of things only crop up when a team loses or fucks up so you'll have to excuse my cynicism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Chelsea
    smokedeels wrote: »
    I think the last 3 games have highlighted Chelsea's reliance on their starting players

i have now backed Arsenal, but i always love this line when anyone gives it.

Chelsea rely on JT, Lamps, Essien and Drogba. funny that.
    Utd rely on Vidic, Scholes, Fletcher and Rooney. funny that.
    Arsenal rely on Cesc, VP (when fit), and Song. funny that.

every team needs a bit of luck with injuries over the season to really make a sustained charge.

every team needs their important players playing in a fair share of matches to win the League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'm hoping Manchester United will win it. But the head leans towards Chelsea a bit. I think they have the best squad in the league overall.

Arsenal, IMO, are very weak in defence. I don't rate Sagna or Clichy as wing backs. Nether Squillaci or Koscielny haven't impressed me at all yet, obviously early days in the PL for both. Arshavin, for me, has been very poor again this year. Let Fabianski play this way until Xmas to see how he does, but he's been great atm but I still think he'll cost Arsenal a few points. I just don't think Arsenal will get to the finish line again this year. But I'll reserve my final judgement until the 27th of December.

United have a decent squad. Like a lot of teams this year we have been unlucky with injuries. With Rooney back now I hope we can move up a gear. But I'm sick to death of talking about the weakness in our squad. They are there for everyone to see but I still think we have an stronger squad than Arsenal.

Chelsea lack replacements in CB. When Carvalho was out, you had Alex. Now all you have is Alex and Terry. I imagine Chelsea will bring in some cover in the Winter window. I think we (United) have stronger cover in defence than Chelsea do. But if I was a Chelsea team I'd be very disappointed not to win the league looking at the teams around us.

I still expect Chelsea to do it but I'm hoping we take it up a gear with Rooney back and push on and win by a few points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Where's the Liverpool option?

:p

• Advertisement

Where's the Liverpool option?

:p

*Starts relegation thread...* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Le King wrote: »
    I don't rate Sagna or Clichy as wing backs.

If you don't rate Sagna as a fullback, what right full-backs in the league do you rate ?
    IMO Sagna is a smashing right back in league where there are very few good ones.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    If you don't rate Sagna as a fullback, what right full-backs in the league do you rate ?
    IMO Sagna is a smashing right back in league where there are very few good ones.

I thought Sagna was very good in first two years. Last year he wasn't very solid at all and this year again I wasn't impressed. Maybe that's just me, he's also very poor going forward. I doubt any Arsenal fan who rates him cares what I think though.

But I rate Rafael and Ivanovic. But then again I'm probably not being very impartial with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Chelsea
    you can't possibly impartially rate Rafael higher than Sagna.

fair enough, Raf squared up to your old friend Tevez, but it doesn't make him one of the top couple of RBs in the division.

Sagna is the most consistent, well-rounded RB of the last 3/4 years in the EPL. he rarely puts a foot wrong. even last year when you say he wasn't good at all.

Clichy, and you'll hear most Arsenal fans admit this, is a complete liability, but not Sagna. he's a different animal altogether.

if Arsenal's defence does creak over the season, i'm 99% certain it won't be because of Bac.

but hey, you did say you probably weren't impartial :p

I think Sagna has been the best RB in the league for 2 of hte last 3 years, but he's been hurt by poor form at times, but when he's solid, he's perfect.

Rafael isn't there yet, but I do expect him to be better than Sagna long term personally. However since I think Sagna is one of the best, that's not the worst. I do however think that Rafael is good enough right now to be playing in the defence with Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra, which is no small praise, and I think he's better than O'Shea and Brown, both of whom have been in the top RB's in the league at some point in the past 4 years.

SlickRic wrote: »
    you can't possibly impartially rate Rafael higher than Sagna.

fair enough, Raf squared up to your old friend Tevez, but it doesn't make him one of the top couple of RBs in the division.

Sagna is the most consistent, well-rounded RB of the last 3/4 years in the EPL. he rarely puts a foot wrong. Clichy, and you'll hear most Arsenal fans admit this, is a complete liability, but not Sagna. he's a different animal altogether.

if Arsenal's defence does creak over the season, i'm 99% certain it won't be because of Bac.

but hey, you did say you probably weren't impartial :p

Exactly, I'm an extremely biased fan most of the time. As I said I thought Sagna was fantastic his first two years, but last season he was poor. Not saying Rafael is better than Sagna now, more along the lines of I think Rafael will become a better player, again possibly the red blinkers. The only solid, consistent RB in the EPL is Ivanovic IMO.

And the Tevez-Rafael thing is more fan points, a lot of fan points;). But Rafael is cracking RB for the future IMO.

Either way, I just don't think Sagna has had the greatest year and a half. Maybe because I'm comparing him too much to his first two years. Or maybe I'm a blind fool. Either way I doubt Arsenal fans will care if they think he is doing the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Chelsea
    Before the season started I said that Arsenal would win it if they bought a brilliant keeper, a tough tackling central defender, an tough tacking midfielder, and a big striker. Even though they haven't signed a keeper, I still think the players they did sign will help them to the title

Man U fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Before the season started I said that Arsenal would win it if they bought a brilliant keeper, a tough tackling central defender, an tough tacking midfielder, and a big striker. Even though they haven't signed a keeper, I still think the players they did sign will help them to the title

Man U fan

Sorry but I'd put my house on it that arsenal won't win it.
    Same reason as they haven't won it for the past 5 years, they lack strength and depth. They always have too many of those spells where injuries, suspensions and lack of experience costs them 5 or 6 points in 2 or 3 games. And when I say lack of experience, I mean lack of experience in actually going the distance and winning premier league titles. Or any titles, as a matter of fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Manchester United
    The team with the most points after 38 games will win. End of. Close thread please.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Chelsea
    I don't rate Sagna or Clichy as wing backs.
    I thought Sagna was very good in first two years. Last year he wasn't very solid at all and this year again I wasn't impressed.

How can you say that you thought he was very good in his first two seasons after saying you don't rate him at all?
    I think Sagna has been the best RB in the league for 2 of hte last 3 years, but he's been hurt by poor form at times, but when he's solid, he's perfect.

I'm not sure what happened to him last season to be honest, but I think he's looked a lot better this season.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Sagna has been solid this season so far. Last few games hes been very good.

Clichy, on the other hand, is a liability and could cost us points as the season goes on. Im hoping Gibbs will get a chance sooner rather than later as i think he has the potential to be a smashing left back.

People comparing Raphael to Sagna are deluded,Sagna is probably the best rb in the league.

Chelsea
    I'm gonna say Arsenal...

...cos I'm a fanboy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭BenK

People comparing Raphael to Sagna are deluded,Sagna is probably the best rb in the league.

In all fairness though Raphael would be seen as the better painter... United for the title, I have a feeling Rooney's going to come back and hit the ground running (fanboy also though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

At the start of the season i said it was between Chelsea and Arsenal I didn't fancy our chances. Chelsea have the best starting 11, Lampards return will be a big boost for them. Arsenals defence appears a lot stronger and more of a unit this season which is a major boost for a side that always play wonderful football but all too often drop points due to silly defensive mistakes. As for us well with or without Rooney our big problem remains the midfield. Whatever people see in Carrick is beyond me I thought he was only alright but not good before coming to UTD but I think that was his peak and has steadily gotten worse since arriving each season. Hargreaves is an epic tragedy at this stage next time he takes to the pitch I'm afraid he might spontaneously combust which is a shame because i fancied him a lot more than Carrick. Ando showed great potential but seems to have also lost it. Fletcher is an excellent midfielder but seems to lack that real leadership quality that the likes of Keane and Vierra had, that Lampard, Gerrard and surprisingly Song have and that is the crucial quality lacking in UTDs squad that the other two have. Every great player and all the great teams will have an off day and a run of bad form but a leader on the pitch can turn that around and stop it spreading into a string of 7 draws.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Manchester United
    This may have some baring on the destination of the EPL :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1330021/John-Terry-injury-shock-Chronic-leg-nerve-problem-rule-Chelsea-captain-months.html

One of the lads on the chelsea board just posted it up , doesnt look to good . We will have to buy in January if this is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Chelsea
    There is not an outstanding team.

Of the three teams above Arsenal have improved since last season they have more options now and better squad so could snip it. Utd drawing too many games that they could be winning. Chelsea loosing Terry now for a long lay off.

One thing is for sure it will be tight and only a point or two in it at the end of the season. Even tighter than last year. Its the way that league is going to be for a few years to come, with all of the top 4-5 teams not that far apart.

Two of the three teams could even end up level on points, wouldn't that be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Chelsea look like they're gonna be without their two centre backs Terry and Alex for the next few months.

How many points will that cost them?

L'prof wrote: »
    How can you say that you thought he was very good in his first two seasons after saying you don't rate him at all?

Because we are talking about who is going to win the PL now. I was probably being overly harsh but still it makes sense as it's a case of then and now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Chelsea look like they're gonna be without their two centre backs Terry and Alex for the next few months.

How many points will that cost them?

Going by the game at the weekend, and the performance, not the result, they'll be lucky to still be within a manageable distance from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I would have said Chelsea right up till i heard both Alex and Terry are (supposedly) due lengthy spells on the side line's.

Arsenal will weed out when it comes squicky bum time.

Ill go with united....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I would have said Chelsea right up till i heard both Alex and Terry are (supposedly) due lengthy spells on the side line's. I think the players where effected buy the sacking of Wilkins and only time will tell weather the will get over this..

Arsenal will weed out when it comes squicky bum time.

Ill go with united....:pac:

Going by the game at the weekend, and the performance, not the result, they'll be lucky to still be within a manageable distance from the top.

LOL.

What a load of horseshít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

rarnes1 wrote: »
    LOL.

Outstanding argument.

Nailz wrote: »
    Outstanding argument.

Sorry, I should have highlighted the piece
    they'll be lucky to still be within a manageable distance from the top.

in the next few months???

C'mon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

That's fair, Chelsea will always be top 3 runners, and I'll be shocked if they even slip to 3rd place over the season, let alone the period of time Terry and Alex are out. Chelsea will always have some type of grasp up there, they may be 2nd while they have those injuries, but they'll still be close to whoever's leading, saying otherwise is OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

rarnes1 wrote: »
    LOL.

Did you watch the sunderland game?

If terry and alex are out for a long time, they have no suitable cover in defence for them.

Did you watch the sunderland game?

If terry and alex are out for a long time, they have no suitable cover in defence for them.

I can do that too

I doubt they will get tonked 3-0 every game. That same Sunderland team was beaten 5-1 a few weeks ago. One or two games doesn't define a season.

Remember Drogba is also under the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Chelsea
    The Arsenal.

Up the gunners!

Chelsea
    Its between Arsenal, United and Chelsea imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement