Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adventure Touring Motorcycles

• 14-11-2010 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for details/opinions on adventure touring motorcycles. I ultimately want to get a bike that I can do some long distance travelling on, around Europe and perhaps further afield.

Bikes that I've been looking at are:
    BMW F650GS
    Suzuki V-Strom
    Honda XL700 (although I haven't looked at this too much)

Therefore my questions are.
    Has anyone ever done this sort of touring on any of these bikes before. How do they rate in terms of reliability/fuel efficiency/comfort. Has anyone had any negative experiences with them or with touring in general. Also are there any other bikes for this sort of touring that people would recommend.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Definitely not the F650 GS, that bike for touring would be a nightmare, the single thump thumping under you, bugger all wind protection, and very little power, it's more suited for low speed off road stuff, and commuting. I used to have one in the garage I worked in as a service loan bike - hated the little thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Thanks for the reply paintdoctor.

I was under the impression the BMW was one of the best options available. All models in the GS series are recommended for touring and are even marketed for it. I would assume for power purposes the 1150GS would be the more comfortable choice but the fuel efficiency of the 650 seems to be much better.

How did you find the bike in terms of reliability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It was very reliable - it was the bike we lent out when servicing people's own bikes, so it had to be, but I wouldn't like to tour Europe on it, despite what the brochure says.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 GoodGuinness

Been thinking about the F650 GS myself, but spent the best part of 8 hours in the saddle yesterday and my chassis was killing me... the saddle is not designed to be sat on for hours at a time.
    As well as the V Strom, another two to consider is the Kawasaki Versys or the Honda Transalp, both 650's, although I've no riding experience of either, they're what i'm considering as an alternative to the GS..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Honda Transalp

Or if you can stretch to it, Honda Varadero 1000cc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'd go for a Vstrom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I have a V-Strom 650, bought new in '05. I haven't done much real touring with it TBH other than driving around Ireland but it has been very reliable (get it serviced once a year - no problems at all so far), comfortable for large distances, the stock windscreen is height adjustable, plenty of power and pretty smooth riding at motorway speeds too. I mostly use it for commuting year round, but would have no hesitations recommending it for touring as well, ideal bike for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

The R1200gs seems to be the popular choice for adventure/long distance touring riders, especially for harsher terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

I drive an NT700 which claims to be the type of bike you can tour Europe with (Comes with built-in panniers and good on fuel > 300km on a tank of around 19l)
    My experience involves touring the M50:D - do an 80km round-trip commute to work but have driven to Limerick a couple of times and it is quite comfortable.
    The down-side is its prone corrosion and the paint work isn't great.
    I'm happy with the power on it, often cruise at 140 kph but if you're looking for higher speeds, consider a bigger engine.
    Servicing a Honda is normally a less painful experience than a BMW and its typically more reliable than a Versys, the V-Strom afaik also has its share of corrosion issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses. This is actually becoming a bit of a headache :o

@GoodGuinness. The versys is a fabulous looking bike which I'd probably consider having the best looks. Its a real cross between a tourer and a naked bike. Both of which I'd go for. That's one I'd seriously consider. It's also a twin so may be more comfortable on longer journeys.

Regarding the V-Strom. This seems to be extremely highly rated. Many polls have shown it to be one of the best you can buy. Its also seems to have a large range which would be one of my main requirements. Regarding corrosion, I'm lucky in that I can keep is garaged so at least I wouldn't have to leave it exposed to the elements.

My uncle has a deauville as has a lad I work with. They have nothing bad to say about the bike but I am not as big a fan of the styling. I much prefer the naked look of the V-Strom or the BMWs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I've had the F650GS and currently have an R1200GS.

While the F650GS (pre-'07) isn't the greatest touring machine, it's fairly decent, one of the guys that we go to europe with rides one. No problems from it, buffeting or otherwise.

The post '07 model (new twin engine and facelift) is very uncomfortable long distance, but grand around town.

The 1200 is a whole other thing, touring on it is a joy (with a good screen).

I'd suggest go test a few out before buying one -- BM or other wise. Duffy's and Maddocks usually have a few that you can take for a test ride - if you have your full unrestricted license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Are you going off road? If not, you could pick up an st1100 for cheap.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1563992
    Plenty of storage, power and comfort for €3k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

My F650GSD is a superb all rounder.

I have had it all over Europe and north Africa without a problem. Will cruise on motorways at 140kph all day long with full aluminium luggage, tent, tank bag. When you get there strip it and get up the mountains or off road. Hard to beat. Have a look at what Mick Wheeler has done on his....

http://web.me.com/mick_wheeler/Adventure.GS/Bikes_-_Mick_1.html

Bottom line - the F650GS (preferably the Dakar) is perfectly suited to your needs.

Advertisement