Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Routers on single BB connection?

• 14-11-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

This might sound a bit ridiculous, but is it possible to get two routers on the same connection? (2 phone connections, 1 router in each) and each have their own IP?
    I'm running off Eircom..
    Regards,

Dale Parish

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This might sound a bit ridiculous, but is it possible to get two routers on the same connection? (2 phone connections, 1 router in each) and each have their own IP?
    I'm running off Eircom..
    Regards,

Dale Parish

Not if they're trying to use the same phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need two phone lines back to exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not with both connected via a phoneline, but you could create a wireless link between them if they both support WDS, although you will cut the wireless speed of your network in half by doing this, or set the second one up as a wireless client bridge, if the routers support either mode.

it depends very much on what routers you have though and being as you've asked the question, you'll no doubt have a lot of reading to do before you can get it set up properly.

another option might be to just run a network cable between them. i've used routers both with WDS and as wireless client bridges, but at the end of the day, you just can't beat a run of cable for speed and stability and after lots of messing around and money spent on half working solutions i ended up just drilling a hole through my outside wall and running a network cable along the underside of a gutter and then back in the house where my 2nd router was just to avoid wireless interference as i was trying to stream media from a server upstairs to my TV. :).

Advertisement