Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended basic wireless router

• 14-11-2010 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've my broadband from a UPC modem and I have a 2 year old Netgear wireless router plugged into it. The netgear is giving problems by constantly dropping the wifi signal. The signal from the UPC modem is fine.

Im going to replace the Netgear Wifi router.

Can anyone recommend a simple wireless router for the house?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I would do some testing on the router before you replace it.

Download a program called netstumbler (http://www.netstumbler.com/) if you use windows or istumbler if its mac.

Run the program and look at the wireless networks that might interfere with your one.

You will be able to see the channel that your network and other networks are broadcast on and change yours if necessary.

Try to pick one thats 2 channels away from the oher ones e.g. 11 and 13.

When changing the channel its best to have the computer plugged in using a cable (just incase the card cannot pick up the network on the new channel, it can happen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,274 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I havent found and cannot reccomend any particular N router. but the older G, you cannot beat the linksys WRT54GL. They're cheap and reliable as hell. Of the Linksys N routers I've seen though, I havent been happy with them yet.

definitely however follow the troubleshooting steps. theres actually a channel interference chart to go by. scary I know. or, you could just guess. guessing works for me.

80211-frequency-channel-map.JPG

so channels 11 12 and 13 interfere with eachother greatly, while 13 and 3 dont interfere with eachother whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Don't pick channels 12 or 13 or devices made to USA standards won't work, USA use only 11 channels, You will not even get the option of 12 and 13 until You change Your region to Europe. The 3 most used channels with no overlap are 1,6, and 11. Tv senders, baby monitors and wireless ip cameras will interfere also, but won't show up with net-stumbler as they don't conform to standard wifi. See whats being used nearby and pick another channel away from that, any channel.

Advertisement