Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

done nothing up to this point

Options
  • 14-11-2010 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

missed 3 mid term economics exams, failed one handed in a history assignment 2 weeks late, not done one history assignment at all, missed my first mcq for geog....is there any way i can scrap d's in my xmas exams if i study now for them and hard

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yes, but your situation isn't ideal. It's easy enough to pass in college, but very difficult to get good grades. Cutting whole portions out of your overall coursework makes it even more so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭h8scobes

i just want to scrape by though...so advice on xmas exams and how to prepare would be great? im gonna attend all my classes from now on

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Attend class, do work, pass exams. Pretty simple tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Most mid terms MCQs and essays are 30% so you still have 70% to play for. No point in worrying about them now, you missed them; they are gone. Just start turning up to lectures and you should manage.

Geography is very difficult to fail, exams are usually very predicable. What modules are you doing?

I dont know what year you are but 1st year Econ is fairy handy exam wise.

For history I would recommend you get your hands on the core recommended texts and give them a good reading. Theres still 4 weeks, forget about what havent done and focus on what you have to do.

im doing geog of cities and physical geog and im in 1st year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Geog of cities is the Joe Brady module isn't it? Just scan all his powerpoint slides, its just a final mcq isn't it? You should go to those lectures, its an excellent module.

Physical geog is trickier but you will get some "big hints" in lectures about the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You'd be hard pushed to find a first year who has done something up to this point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

While 1st year grades may not count towards GPA, they do count towards any Erasmus you intend on taking.

There is no benefit to not doing an exam though. Even if you only pick up a few %, it's a few more towards passing. And especially if you're looking to just scrape by, those few % will make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

You'd be hard pushed to find a first year who has done something up to this point :D

You're confusing 'doing nothing' with 'taking the piss, being a lazy arse and being an advertisement why free fees should be scrapped.'

Lots of people do very little but at least they bother to go to exams and/or attempt assignments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Its week 10, once I left all my revision to the night before the exam. And I passed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

smk89 wrote: »
    Its week 10, once I left all my revision to the night before the exam. And I passed!

With respect, I hate that attitude that some people have. If you spend an hour each Saturday going over material, you never really have to study and revision comes much easier. Unless your doing a course that is 9 to 5 each day, 30 mins per day isn't alot to ask. Just do the last lecture notes etc. You'd be amazed how easy it all comes at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

You have more or less four weeks left until the exams. Go to the rest of your lectures.

In each history subject you probably need to cover 2 topics from before reading week and 2 topics from after it.

This week you need to decide which topics you are going to do and Get the notes you have missed for each one.

As a matter of interest, which history subjects are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Chet T16 wrote: »
    You're confusing 'doing nothing' with 'taking the piss, being a lazy arse and being an advertisement why free fees should be scrapped.'

Lots of people do very little but at least they bother to go to exams and/or attempt assignments.

Agreed. Also why would shouldn't allow repeats for non-medical reasons.

ah jst havin da bant ya no your delf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 snoepys

would dropping out be a option for you,that might make life a bit easier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I agree, he would stop wasting taxpayer's money as well at a time when we can't afford it as it is.

You are priviledged to have made it to 3rd level education. I would, respectfully, suggest you start treating it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

h8scobes wrote: »
    ah jst havin da bant ya no your delf
    Qapla! If I'd known that the Language Centre had started offering classes in Klingon, I've have been there quicker than you can say DeSwIj choptaH 'e' bomev. :p

Assuming you're in 1st year, all you have to do is scrape by. Personally, I just find it easier to go to all lectures, so all assignments etc., and getting those marks mean there's a load off my mind during exam time.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Hov leng ngotlhwI'Hey yIHoH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Hov leng ngotlhwI'Hey yIHoH

Ahem:
    Posting in languages other than english is perfectly allowed in the UCD forum, however if you make a post which contains any signifigant amount of another language, be it Gaeilge Nihongo or Ig-pay Atin-lay, must contain a translation into English.

:P

Advertisement