Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Initial Entry Date for your skilled visa - can this be changed?

Options
  • 14-11-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Just got my pre-grant letter for Skilled Migration Visa :D , it states that "Initial Entry Date for your skilled visa will be - 10 February 2011". I am gong home for a few weeks for Christmas and flying back to Oz first week in January- anyone know if it is possible to change the Initial Entry Date?? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ambasite wrote: »
    Just got my pre-grant letter for Skilled Migration Visa :D , it states that "Initial Entry Date for your skilled visa will be - 10 February 2011". I am gong home for a few weeks for Christmas and flying back to Oz first week in January- anyone know if it is possible to change the Initial Entry Date?? thanks.

Are you sure that's not the 'no later' than date?

If you have your pre-grant letter, then you should inform the DIAC when you expect to leave/arrive in Aus .. usually you have a year of the grant date.

it probably doesn't mean after date

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

hussey wrote: »
    Are you sure that's not the 'no later' than date?

If you have your pre-grant letter, then you should inform the DIAC when you expect to leave/arrive in Aus .. usually you have a year of the grant date.

it probably doesn't mean after date

yeah it's "Initial Entry Date" alright. Not sure how or why they came up with this specific date. Like you say, i thought i would have one year to activate the visa from the date the grant letter was issued.

Please be advised that you need to provide details of their travel itinerary including the date of departure from Australia, at least a week in advance of their departure. Departure and itinerary details including flight number, destination, date and time of departure need to be included.

Initial Entry Date for your skilled visa will be - 10 February 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

The initial entry dates generally arise from legal specifications within the immigration law, and are calculated on other "perishable" items such as medicals and police certs (which are valid for 1 year). It's the date that you have to enter Australia by, and cannot be changed, by law. This is true or partner migration anyway, and i assume it's not much different for other visas. Depending on the visa conditions, you can be allowed to leave and reënter Aus after you've entered and activated the visa. It doesn't, however, mean you have to enter on that specific date. You can arrive before, just not after!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

The initial entry dates generally arise from legal specifications within the immigration law, and are calculated on other "perishable" items such as medicals and police certs (which are valid for 1 year). It's the date that you have to enter Australia by, and cannot be changed, by law. This is true or partner migration anyway, and i assume it's not much different for other visas. Depending on the visa conditions, you can be allowed to leave and reënter Aus after you've entered and activated the visa. It doesn't, however, mean you have to enter on that specific date. You can arrive before, just not after!

was onto Visa First - you are right - just seems like a confusing term "initial" entry date. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

just out of curiousity OP, how long did the whole skilled visa process take, am thinking of applying early next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

just out of curiousity OP, how long did the whole skilled visa process take, am thinking of applying early next year

depends on skill, but avg seems to be at least 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

cheers, thought it would be longer than that, i'm a qualified accountant so hopefully i won't be waiting 3 years!

Advertisement