Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn baby carrier

• 14-11-2010 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Baby No. 1 on the way in 6 weeks time. I'd like to carry her around a good bit using one of the rucksack/sling/carrier jobbies that are available in a few baby shops.

Can anyone recommend a good one that carries the baby to the front?
    Her Mam can master the buggy, I just want to have the little carrier for myself :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The baba sling is great.

http://www.babaslings.com/

TK Maxx have them for about 25/30 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I really encourage using a sling/wrap as they're so comfortable & a great way to avoid all the hassle of a buggy.

My hubby & I have used the Ellaroo shoulder sling and the Maya wrap for both of our daughters. Shoulder slings are great for pops in & out of the car/store, etc, but they're not the best for long-term wearing b/c the babe gets heavy after awhile. The wrap, on the other hand, takes longer to get in & out of, but you could wear the babe all day. Front, hip or back. We've taken our girls on mountain hikes (the eldest was almost 3) & we still carried her on the back.

Now, a word about the preformed carrier-type things (incl the backpack looking types). I have never heard of anyone who could use these types of carriers for more than a few months b/c the babe's weight pulls on the straps & makes the back/shoulder really sore. My hubby, who has a cronically bad back couldn't carry our 1-week old daughter on a walk in a baby bjorn. But he could carry the (then) three year old daughter through the mountains when she's in the Maya wrap. The difference is in the weight distribution & the way the wrap fabric stretches across the whole back/shoulder area.

I could go on w/ many more advantages of using slings/wraps (really, don't get me started :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The ergo baby sling was recommended to me. I've got back, shoulder and neck problems so i'd need a sling which doesn't add pressure to those areas.

Google it and you'll find some stockist. In Ireland and uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The Ergo one seems to be the one that'd suit me. Im not metrosexual enough to pull off a baby sling I think :D

I think I'll go with something that snuggles her up in front of me like the Ergo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

There's lots of info and a forum on www.babywearingireland.com if you are interested

• Advertisement
Advertisement