Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prioritzing Xbox Live

Options
  • 14-11-2010 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi guys,
    Just wondering if there was any way to prioritize Xbox Live on my network, so I'll have my best possible connection when others are browsing the web on he network. I currently have the Netopia router eircom sent out.
    Thanks in advance,
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

See if it supports QoS or Differentiated Services. However, be warned that the implementation of these technologies on SoHo boxes can be decidedly dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 seanf12

Zab wrote: »
    See if it supports QoS or Differentiated Services. However, be warned that the implementation of these technologies on SoHo boxes can be decidedly dodgy.
    Right, it does support Differentiated Services, I've attempted to add a Custom Flow but am totally clueless by what all these mean:

Custom Flow Entry
    Name
    Protocol
    Direction
    Start Port
    End Port
    Inside IP Address
    Inside IP Netmask
    Outside IP Address
    Outside IP Netmask
    Quality of Service (QoS)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You're identifying the traffic you want the router to recognise and prioritize for you. Try entering only the IP address of your xbox as the inside IP, give it a name and set QoS to Expedite and Direction to Both. Then enable differentiated services.

I haven't actually tried this on a netopia box before. You may need to crack out the manual (i.e. download it) and your router may not be able to cope even though it has the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I've never had much luck with QoS with any of the soho routers i've tried bar linksys running dd-wrt.

You might have more luck if you have an old pc laying around and a bit of time and setup FreeBSD with dummynet or something similar

Advertisement