Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog won't let other in ONE room only

• 14-11-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

evening all

Just wondering if anybody has any advice and could share their opinion/experiences. this is the situation.

I have 2 dogs, 8 (Roux)and 7 months (Maxi). They get on really well, sleep together, when one has been away even for a few minutes and comes back they're very very happy to see each other again etc...

The only thing is Roux will hardly let Maxi into my bedroom. This only started a few days ago just after Roux was neutered (Maxi was done earlier).

Earlier Roux went for Maxi. she has never bitten her but growling at her n basically giving her a warning.

What do you hink I should do? While I understand Roux is the Alpha dog, I will not tolerate her to bully Maxi.

Is it between them only or do I have my part to play in this situation? I know they should never have been allowed into my bedroom in the first lace but they dont go on the bed. Roux was always a bit "on her guards" when she was on my side of the bed only but now it's about the whole bedroom.

Should I be worried for Maxi's safety ??

any advice gratly appreciated. I wonder could it be just because she is going through adolescence and it might ease or could it asctually get worse.

Many thanks all,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Hi Falabo,

I'm not a dog behaviour expert so maybe someone else on here can give you better advice!!

But it seems to me that Roux is a little insecure in her position as top dog, and she was attacking Maxi to try and put her in her place. Going away for the day when she had her surgery maybe made her more feel even more insecure about her place as top dog, and she was trying to reestablish her position in the pack. This is often the cause of fighting like this, even between two dogs who seem to have their positions nearly sorted out, as in your dogs' case.

As you said, she was always a bit "on guard" about areas of your bedroom, so now with her feeling a little extra insecure, she doesn't want Maxi in the room at all.

They may sort it out between them as things settle down, but it could be worth going to a dog behaviourist if you are very worried about the situation, especially if they get really aggressive.

if it doesn't seem that serious...As I said, I'm not an expert on behaviour, but but I've been taught that it's important to side with the 'top' dog in these situations, even though it feels wrong!.... i.e. the Leader of the Pack (you!) siding with top dog, which will reinforce the order of who's on top. One way of doing this is once they have a dispute, simply remove the lower dog to another room like the kitchen and ignore it for a little while. As I said, if this isn't working or they're both getting overly aggressive, then don't wait...get an expert's opinion!

For most dogs, once they both 'get' where they stand they return to being friends. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Oh, and regarding your role in the whole thing: It's also very important to establish yourself as the very 'top dog' if you know what i mean! They must both look up to you as leader of the pack. A couple of ways of reinforcing this are general obedience training, as well as 'cues' like always feeding yourself before letting them eat (i.e. they must wait until you've finished your dinner, before you give them theirs), and also regarding the bedroom situation, to not allow either of them on the bed. (I'm talking about problem dogs here - I know lots of owners sleep with their dogs and they all get on great! :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

hi dvet

thank you very much for you input, great advice here. it could be due indeed to her being neutered only a few days ago and trying to re-establish her status of Alpha dog

I bond with them a lot, she loves being brushed and would look up in the air. I sit with her, massaging her ears to make her feel relaxed. I mean she always is relaxed anyway, not fearfull at all by any means ... maybe I treat her too much liike babies and would actually be better off "learning to ignore them from time to time"

anyway i have decided now they are no longer allowed in the bedroom, if thats going to be the source of the problem then

it just upset me this morning when I left a few Kong toys stuffed with treats and Roux got them all, Maxi being let on her bed looking a bit sad with nothing ...

thanks dvet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Your dog thinks the bedroom is his. He'll tolerate humans in there but not other dogs. Have they been sleeping in there?

I'd say keep them both out of your bedroom. Its not really a solution, more of an avoidance but I wouldnt have dogs in my bedroom anyway.

EDIT: Just noticed u said you're keeping them out of the bedroom in your last post, duh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I would wait a few days and be very easy on the dog. She has after all had major surgery and will be sore. It may be just that; she needs to rest alone as sensible creatures will do when they are in pain.

See how she is in a few days and let her be alone from the other dog is she needs that just now?

I honestly don't think that this is frank jealousy. Some opinions say that it takes ten days for the effects of anaethesia to wear off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

there shouldn't be an Alpha dog. Your supposed to be the alpha. there is only room for one alpha in a pack
    If I were you the second that the dog makes even eye contact or a possessive move at the other they would get a loud NO and be removed from the room.

good idea about making the eye contact and removing her the second she starts with that ... anyway things are far from being bad, as I said there has never been any bitting but I dont want things to escalate.

I am the Alpha and this is very clear. its probably due to the surgery even tought the day after she already was back being herself again, had to get them to take it easy on the wrestling and all lol

one thing I noticed in the bedroom is she would ALWAYS be clothes if they were left on the floor, she seems to have a fetishism for my clothes lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Have you been feeling sorry for the dog after it had the surgery? Dogs pick up on this and view it as a weakness, so your dog might be trying to assume the alpha position "for the good of the pack". You need to correct this behaviour (perhaps with a touch to the neck and a firm NO) if you catch him doing it. Easiest solution would be to forbid them both from the bedroom.

Dogs don't understand comfort the way humans do - they want security and stability. Cuddling them when they are anxious only reinforces that state of mind and they view you as weak and unsuitable to be alpha. Stay calm and assertive around the dogs and they'll look to you for strength and guidance instead of trying to be leaders.

hi fluorescence

yes I have to say I have been feeling sorry for her since her operation. None are allowed in the bedroom since saturday and they already got the message. Roux is a sweet as ever once outside the bedroom, walking in a very relaxed way with her long ears almost touching the floor lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Glad to hear she's doing well!

• Advertisement
Advertisement