Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xlink kai

• 14-11-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi just wanted to see if anyone here uses xlink kai to play online if so what games do you play

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Is that like system link for games or what? I heard it only works with a ping lower than 30ms. Is it any good and how many people use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

from what i understand its like system link over the pc. I installed it the other day and fired it up. When i was in system link i could see matches but couldnt join them cause of the ping being to high(someone had to explain that to me) Was told to try closer to home but i cant find anyone who uses it. I dont play as much as i would like to( being a family man has hampered my playing time) but i would like to try if anyone is interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

from what i understand its like system link over the pc. I installed it the other day and fired it up. When i was in system link i could see matches but couldnt join them cause of the ping being to high(someone had to explain that to me) Was told to try closer to home but i cant find anyone who uses it. I dont play as much as i would like to( being a family man has hampered my playing time) but i would like to try if anyone is interested

MS made sure that the system link won't work with a ping over 30ms. The chances of you ever having an average latency below 30ms is very unlikely. Most people who use this have had their xboxes modified (JTag) which removes the 30ms limit restriction. However, this type of modification will get both their gamertag and console permanently banned from Xbox Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

MS made sure that the system link won't work with a ping over 30ms. The chances of you ever having an average latency below 30ms is very unlikely. Most people who use this have had their xboxes modified (JTag) which removes the 30ms limit restriction. However, this type of modification will get both their gamertag and console permanently banned from Xbox Live.

The 30ms is not a hard limit, it's can change for each game as each game's bandwidth requirement is different. Roundtrip times to servers based in the UK can fall below 30ms, it's highly dependent on a lot of factors so I wouldn't cast it aside as a "modders only" tool - it's been around since long before JTAGs could remove the restriction.

The 30ms is not a hard limit, it's can change for each game as each game's bandwidth requirement is different. Roundtrip times to servers based in the UK can fall below 30ms, it's highly dependent on a lot of factors so I wouldn't cast it aside as a "modders only" tool - it's been around since long before JTAGs could remove the restriction.

Nice one, virus, I just always assumed it wouldn't work on a standard console unless the people you were connecting to were in your locality and the only way around it would be to mod the console.

Would be very interested to hear some feedback from people using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I must fire it up and give it a go some evening, probably worth arranging with fellow boardsies though so at least we can rule out some things (e.g. cross-country lag) if there's a problem and we can get to blaming each other's internet connection :D

I must fire it up and give it a go some evening, probably worth arranging with fellow boardsies though so at least we can rule out some things (e.g. cross-country lag) if there's a problem and we can get to blaming each other's internet connection :D

I'll look into it now and see what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

im working tonight it will be the weekend before i can play what game will ye be playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Ya I will have a look around too, could be interesting.

Advertisement