Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cutting boards

Options
  • 15-11-2010 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

whats the best? glass plastic or wood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Depends. Wood is very fast, aesthetic, and has less bacteria in it than plastic will; but plastic's cheap enough to buy several, throw away old ones every few months, and will go into a dishwasher.

Personally, I have one very big butchers block style wood board for veg (brings up the work surface a few inches which relieves pain in my back), a few throwaway plastic ones for chicken/fish, and a smaller wooden one for beef/pork/similar meat.

Glass? I wouldn't use it to cut with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

wood is best because the wood has natural anti bacterial properties built in to protect the tree.
    glass ones just dull your knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I agree. For veg I use a big sturdy wooden board that I bought in Dunnes almost 10 years ago for just a few quid. It is in great nick still after constant heavy daily use. I use a smaller plastic one for meat that can be easily bunged in the dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I bought a load of cheapo Tesco value plastic chopping boards and I just bung em in the dishwasher. They don't warp and they're handy to strore. Glass chopping boards are the work of the devil.
    Wood is great too, but a little more effort is required when it comes to cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I agree. For veg I use a big sturdy wooden board that I bought in Dunnes almost 10 years ago for just a few quid. It is in great nick still after constant heavy daily use. I use a smaller plastic one for meat that can be easily bunged in the dishwasher.

Same here. I even use a different knife for meat, which I wash in the dishwasher (only ever hand rinse my veg knife)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

bung in the dishwasher? whats wrong with using your hands people.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Wood - one very old piece of iroko that we use for raw meat or fish. An olive wood board that I bought in Corfu, we use this for veggies and general food prep. Another general board for fruit - don't want the flavour of garlic in the fruit salad. Then I have two large 40mm boards that are impractical due to their weight; one of those I made from the off cuts of a kitchen worktop in our first home.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

maxextz wrote: »
    bung in the dishwasher? whats wrong with using your hands people.:p
    Dishwasher gets to a higher water temperature than you get to with bare hands without scalding yourself. Washing chopping boards by hand requires you to have a dilute solution of bleach handy to sanitise the surface after washing and scrubbing with steel wool.

Advertisement