Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lee Strand history

Options
  • 15-11-2010 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Anybody have any idea where I could get a written and/or published history of Lee Strand, specifically about the setting up of the creamery, and the people involved in its early years? Nothing on Kerry Co Lib, UCC special collections or worldcat :(

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

it would be surprising if there was no history of Lee Strand in writing, althought it is much bigger there are a few books on the history of Kerry CoOp/Group.
    Lee Strand was founded by Denis O'Donnell, so if you were to look him up you would probably find some leads on the CoOp.

There are a few references on his wikiedia Page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_O%27Donnell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Why not ring Lee Strand or call in person and ask their receptionist to put you in touch with someone there who can help you or give you a name of past or present employees that may have journals or literature relating to it's history.

This brings back a memory I had when I was in 5th class of primary school - we had to do a project on companies around Tralee and I chose Lee Strand when they were based roughly where the Abbeygate hotel is now. I called to the premises and they gave me a tour, some literature and other bits and pieces about its history and current operations. Gas how we just wandered in off the street and did those things back then - mid 1980s (I could only have been 10 or 11 then) - don't think that would happen now for health and safety reasons alone... apologies for off topic trip down memory lane!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭the-jojo-axiom

This may require more effort than I thought :/

It's a shame there isn't a volume on Lee Strand itself, just wanted to check the list of founders to see if my g-grandfather was on the commitee. We know he was involved with LS early on, but looking to tie down whether he was on that commitee with O'Donnell.
    I won't be able to go down to Tralee on a weekday for a long while, shame. Wonder if they'd be interested in my query over the phone.

Might be a nice project to do, write up the history of the place, hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Been alot of sh*t shoved under the mat there down the years ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Do continue...
    amadain wrote: »
    Been alot of sh*t shoved under the mat there down the years ! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement