Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need for a bakery for allergic people in cork?

Options
  • 15-11-2010 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi there,
    I would like to start my own business in Cork City, but before I would like to do some market research and I thought I'd start here.
    I want to open up a bakery in directed to allergic people (gluten, wheat, lactose, diary, sugar), diabetic people and people that are on a specific diet. I would be baking bread and different cakes, buns and cookies. It would be possible to eat on spot and to take away the food. Do you think there is a demand for that kind of bakery in Cork? I asked around and until now I only know about gluten free bakeries.
    I think people that are on a specific diet should still be enjoying food and I haven't seen a place in Cork that covers that need for divers allergies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Bubulina wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I would like to start my own business in Cork City, but before I would like to do some market research and I thought I'd start here.
    I want to open up a bakery in directed to allergic people (gluten, wheat, lactose, diary, sugar), diabetic people and people that are on a specific diet. I would be baking bread and different cakes, buns and cookies. It would be possible to eat on spot and to take away the food. Do you think there is a demand for that kind of bakery in Cork? I asked around and until now I only know about gluten free bakeries.
    I think people that are on a specific diet should still be enjoying food and I haven't seen a place in Cork that covers that need for divers allergies.

Hello Bubulina,

I think you may be on to something. I am certainly not aware of any bakery in Cork that provides that wide a range of products to cover the type of food intolerances you describe.

I would recommend to start searches on Twitter and Google to see what conversations are taking place. I will dig out some further details of people that may point you in the right direction and PM you later today

Regards,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi there - I think it's a fantastic idea - I've been on a dairy free diet for nearly 3 months now and feeling a lot better but not so easy to get cakes and biscuits from the likes of Supermarkets - but the Quay Co-Op in Cork is pretty good for these types of food as it's a vegetarian restaurant and shop and they do bake fresh daily. I know that I can get a slice of choc cake or carrott cake that would suit me being dairy free - but I'd love a bigger range to choose from. Best of luck but definitely check out the Quay Co-Op first. Judes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Bubulina

thanks very much for replying. I'd love more information!
    And thanks for pointing out the Quay Co-Op this restaurant really seams like a big competition. But strangly no bakery in Cork has a range for lactose intollerance.
    Other bakeries I know from is the stand in the English Market
    and the Delicious Bakery which supplies for many supermarkets in Cork.
    But both only do gluten free food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

I'd defo buy egg free birthday cakes from you :) Or any other cakes for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

And I'd support you on dairy free!!! So just like that, you've got 2 customers. (OK a long way to go but best of luck and keep us updated). J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

or come to Tralee!
    but seriously I would come to cork to buy from you,
    I suggest that maybe you do a few farmers markets and see that way if there was a demand.while I have you here can I ask why do gluten free products cost so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I think that's a great idea and as far as I am aware, there is no other bakery in Cork quite like yours will be! Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kat151283

This is a great idea, i have been looking everywhere for diabetic products and i'm finding it very hard to find anything decent. It would help alot of people i think

Thanx so much for the replies. Keep going :)
    The more feedback I am getting the better.
    To do some farmer markets is planed anyway, this way I can learn more about customer needs and increase awareness for the bakery. I plan to so that for about 3 month before opening the shop.
    To answer the question: gluten free food is firstly so expensive because it is produced in a smaler quantiy. There are no mass markets for such products which always increases production costs. Additionally those products need to be made in seperate machines (to ensure no traces) which takes quit an effort. Also such products are mostly made out of high quality ingredients, have no flavour enhancers or preservatives.
    That is just to mention a few reasons... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

ABC bakery in the english market do a variety of breads free from dairy, sugar, wheat, yeast etc. They also sell them in Dunnes and I think Tesco. Their bread is mostly very good and quite often expensive so I'd say (in Cork city) they'd be one of the biggest competitors. The problem with all those "free from" products is that they're generally expensive, and if someone else has a bigger operation than you, their economies of scale (ie making 50 types of bread, 5 "free from" and 45 normal) will make it very hard for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The new place Bakery Union on Marlboro Street does Gluten Free and Wheat Free stuff. I was skeptical about its chances of survival initially but if the pan au chocolat from there is representative of their produce, I think they'll do well. Yuhm.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cork-Ireland/Bakery-Union-ltd/105757306155424?ref=mf

Dermighty wrote: »
    ABC bakery in the english market do a variety of breads free from dairy, sugar, wheat, yeast etc. They also sell them in Dunnes and I think Tesco. Their bread is mostly very good and quite often expensive so I'd say (in Cork city) they'd be one of the biggest competitors. The problem with all those "free from" products is that they're generally expensive, and if someone else has a bigger operation than you, their economies of scale (ie making 50 types of bread, 5 "free from" and 45 normal) will make it very hard for you.

Yes, I know about them. But since my product range will be quit different and wider I can differenciate myself from them. They do focus more on bread and less cake (the only cake they have is gluten free).

Any more comments?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Yeah, how early would you open in the mornings?

Oh, I haven't decidet on that yet. But I would like to open very early, maybe 6 or 7. In Germany it is very normal for bakeries to open that early. Here I haven't seen it that much. WOuld you say there are many customers in the early morning times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I was just asking out of curiosity. I've no food intolerances myself, but I would love for there to be a bakery in the city where I could go in at ~6 in the morning and get bread, and maybe croissants, still warm. I've no idea if there's a lot of people who think like me though. :o

I wish you all the best with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bubby24

I checked their website they has a great gluten free selection. xmas cake mince pie gingerbread etc. worth to check the website bakeryunion.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That place looks nice. It's on Princes Street - opposite Anne Summers.
    I can't help reading the thread title as "allerrrrrrrrrrrjic"! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Farmers markets around the place often seem to have a stall selling gluten free etc baked goods. Not sure but many stalls often seem to be run by a business with an actual shop somewhere else so might be worth your while checking them out.
    If you were to do it you would probably need to offer regular stuff too as you migh not get enough business otherwise.

Advertisement