Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAFHA on 175 visa

Options
  • 15-11-2010 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I know this has been asked before on this board and someone said as a 175 visa is a permanent visa you cant get LAFHA. I was talking to the guys at lafha.com.au and they said:

"If you have strong links to your usual place of residence (eg. Property / storage) and can demonstrate a clear intention to return home then you can be eligible for the LAFHA benefit."

I am chasing it up with HR in work at the moment and I am just wondering if anyone on this visa has been able to claim LAFHA in the past or is currently doing so?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

i was claiming LAFHA while on 457 but once i applied for 175 visa it was cut:

Based on the Australian Tax Office (ATO) statement that a living away
    from home allowance (LAFHA) is for people who intend to return to their
    usual place of residence, it is logical that the LAFHA is no longer tax
    free from the date an application to become a Permanent Resident is
    made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

175 is a permanent Visa. You wont be able to claim it on that Visa. By all means try if your are brave but you will be stuck with a huge tax bill ($10,000+) next year to pay the difference.
    Also your company must provide it as it is added at source in your pay check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can in fact claim LAFHA on a permanent visa ... BUT
    not the same way you claim on a 457.

On a 457 you are claiming you live away from home (Ireland), whilst on a 175 you must be actually living away from your aussie home.

e.g. you live and work in Sydney, and they send you to wagga wagga to work for 6months

LAFHA is actually intended for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

hussey wrote: »
    You can in fact claim LAFHA on a permanent visa ... BUT
    not the same way you claim on a 457.

On a 457 you are claiming you live away from home (Ireland), whilst on a 175 you must be actually living away from your aussie home.

e.g. you live and work in Sydney, and they send you to wagga wagga to work for 6months

LAFHA is actually intended for this purpose.

Thats true,

I have a friend working in Albury getting LAFHA, ironically he never got it while he was on a 457. (different employer tho)

Advertisement