Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

[Problem]Xbox 360 Slim

• 15-11-2010 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Hey just got a few questions that hopefully can get answered.

Bought the Kinect Bundle this weekend just for the kinect experience and getting some annoying problems already

1. The DVDs drive is very noise when games are running. It sounds like running at max speed most of the time. Like you would be burning or ripping DVDs on a PC at full speed. Is that with all new 360's or just mine?

2. My Xbox basically chewed up a CD. When the Xbox was making alot of noise i wanted to move it horizontally to check will it make less noise in a different position, and when i moved it scratching noises started coming out of it and game froze. When i took the game out it was all scratched.

I never experienced that with a different console neither Wii or the PS could that be a faulty DVD drive not gripping the DVD properly?

3. Can you copy movies and music from your hard drive to the HDD on the Xbox?

4. Its also emitting a massive amount of heat. Only after 30 mins of play time the console was really hot. And it was just standing in clear space on the TV stand.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Bought the Kinect Bundle this weekend just for the kinect experience and getting some annoying problems already

1. The DVDs drive is very noise when games are running. It sounds like running at max speed most of the time. Like you would be burning or ripping DVDs on a PC at full speed. Is that with all new 360's or just mine?

2. My Xbox basically chewed up a CD. When the Xbox was making alot of noise i wanted to move it horizontally to check will it make less noise in a different position, and when i moved it scratching noises started coming out of it and game froze. When i took the game out it was all scratched.

I never experienced that with a different console neither Wii or the PS could that be a faulty DVD drive not gripping the DVD properly?

4. Its also emitting a massive amount of heat. Only after 30 mins of play time the console was really hot. And it was just standing in clear space on the TV stand.

Thanks

rule number 1
    never ever move an xbox (or any other console) with a disc in it.
    it will make bits of the disc as you found out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

jeez i moved the wii and the ps hundreds of times and never had that problem. While i do accept the reason of the argument. Other problems still wreck my head. As one of the main reasons was to buy the 250 GB version was to play movies and music on it. And now i found out i cant move them on the Xbox HDD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

jeez i moved the wii and the ps hundreds of times and never had that problem. While i do accept the reason of the argument. Other problems still wreck my head. As one of the main reasons was to buy the 250 GB version was to play movies and music on it. And now i found out i cant move them on the Xbox HDD

you can copy them all with a usb im pretty sure? as wel as game saves and your entire profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

garv123 wrote: »
    you can copy them all with a usb im pretty sure? as wel as game saves and your entire profile.

I'm open for correction but this can't be done with the X Box (pretty much all I use my PS3 for! :D). Best method is to view from memory stick or stream, plenty of advice here on streaming.

As for the heat my Slim tends to generate quite a lot of heat but I've had it months now and no problems, it's also on nearly 24/7.

And yeah, never ever EVER move a 360 when it's on with a disc in! :D

I'm still pretty sure threres a problem with the DVD drive. Its so noisy when playing games. I remember my friend had the old one and it was pretty quiet except the fan. At this stage my 3 year old PC is not as noisy as this fecker. Ech I dunno

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NoRegrets

I'm still pretty sure threres a problem with the DVD drive. Its so noisy when playing games. I remember my friend had the old one and it was pretty quiet except the fan. At this stage my 3 year old PC is not as noisy as this fecker. Ech I dunno

Yeah sounds like you could have a problem alright one of the main selling points of the new slim is that its supposed to be ''whisper quiet'', have you tried installing any of your games to the hdd itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

You can rip CD's to the hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

My old Xbox360 (non slim) is very noisy when playing the new FIFA and a bit noisy when playing other games. Best option here is to install the game to the HardDrive and it should be quieter as well as quicker

Never move an xbox while its on....well known issue that it will chew the Disc if you move it while its on....

Music can be ripped from CD and stored on the HDD. Most people just connect their external harddrive's to the xbox and play the music and movies from that...its much quicker and easier to manage that having the media saved on the xbox

they can get quite hot...keep it in a well ventilated area and you should have no problems. The older model xbox's had serious issues with overheating but the new slim are not supposed to suffer from that issue although i dont know how thats working out
    Thanks

a couple of answers for you

Thanks. Didn't see the option to rip games to the hdd. Still Kinect Adventures Chewed up :S

went down to GAME shop today and the fella repaired the game for me. Works grand now but have it backed up to the console anyway.

Still wrecks my head that i cant transfer music onto it :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

went down to GAME shop today and the fella repaired the dick for me. Works grand now but have it backed up to the console anyway.

Jaysus Game are really branching out in the recession :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

are your PC and xbox connected to the same router?

the xbox will stream any media across your network, very easily done, no need for transferring files

oops misspelled :)

Advertisement