Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the most retarded thing you've done in your entire life?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

What i can never understand about the PCers is why they cant compartmentalise things?

Clearly none of us mean to offend down syndrome people or otherwise, the term retarded is just a flippant throwaway term, not in ANY way shape or form meant to cause offense.. get over it, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

THFC wrote: »
    Well I have a brother with Downs Syndrome and I find the thread title offensive, and I'm sure many other people do that knows anyone with a disability, be it physical or mental.
    Get over yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

That reminds me. My brother used to have a dog called Syndrome.
    He was always jumping up on things and I remember we all used to shout.........;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Got a pretty bad sore throat other day - nothing seemed to work.

Friend had a prescription for antibiotics that she wasnt using so lent it to me. Yoink

Anyway, i took it home and stupidly threw it in the fire.

So today had to go to doc again. Not only is it retarted - The lead time needed for the bastardd things to work puts my participation in 12 pubs at risk :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Get over yourself

Pretty harsh comment.

When I was younger I slammed the car door on my finger. Pretty sore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

I wouldnt wait for my brother to stop one day while jumping up on the tractor beside him.
    My foot slipped on the step and the grips on the tyres dragged me under ,
    Ended up supporting the full weight of the tractor on my left leg for a split secont before my knee went bang.
    Took my brother about 10 minutes before he was able to get off the tractor with the shock.
    First thing he said was "Ya fcuking eejit that was your fault"

The second most retarted thing was stopping doing the physio as soon as I had 70 degrees movement back in the knee

Now my left leg is retarded

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Get over yourself

You're an ignorant cúnt. Show some fcuking respect for those who weren't born as great as you...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    What i can never understand about the PCers is why they cant compartmentalise things?

Clearly none of us mean to offend down syndrome people or otherwise, the term retarded is just a flippant throwaway term, not in ANY way shape or form meant to cause offense.. get over it, seriously.

My problem is that this term was used so flippantly when there are plenty of other terms that wouldn't have potentially offended other people.

For example replace Retarded with Stupidest or Silliest

I understand that the OP meant no offence but the term retarded is just not a nice description or image. If you wish to stop the PC brigade then you should stop saying ignorant stuff that can offend, its simple really. Funny does not have to offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

I don't know if it's a retarded thing or not but it's certainly I'm both proud of and something I regret at the same time.

At the start of second year we had a free P.E. class and our supervisor brought us onto the school balcony/canteen and tables. My best friend went down to his locker to get his books (which of he had to get quite a few and a nice weight of books added up). Anyway I saw him approaching me but I stayed working away quietly minding my own business.

He decided to belt me over the head with all his books and gave me quite a headache. :mad: :mad:

In retaliation I grabbed his books from him and and fired them over the school balcony, a good 10 or 12 feet drop, mad me look like the right psycho.

It made quite the bang.
    The situation was made worse by the fact that a student and visitor to the school were sitting below and the books missed them by a few feet. :eek:

Consequence : a bóllocking for both of us but neither of us got any detention or probation card. :D

That fúcking showed your man to smack me unnecessarily, though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Oh as well, I turned the language on my phone mad sister's phone to arabic. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

On holidays in Gran Canaria a few years ago a friend of mine wasn't feeling too good after over-doing it the night before. Myself and another friend were sent down to the chemist to get him some milk and magnesia, not being too sure what it was and the language barrier we returned with a carton of milk and magnesium tablets. Good job the sick guy realised our errors as when we experimented with the milk and magnesium tablets and then shook the bottle we got a mini explosion. Sick friend would have been even worse only for his own intervention :D

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

this will take some time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

You're an ignorant cúnt. Show some fcuking respect for those who weren't born as great as you...:rolleyes:
    well ****, I'm sorry if I offended you or your brother (sincerely hope he's doing well, not just sayin that to get thanks from you or anyone) , but generally when people say "that was retarded" they have no intention of offending anyone. The OP was not out to offend you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Sigh, the word retard has come to mean 'stupid' and 'silly' at this stage. If you can't stand seeing the word, don't go on the internet.

Someone will always choose to be offended by something.

The guy was not saying, "what is the most down syndrome like thing you ever did" , if he had said that, then you have a right to complain.

You chose to see it that way however, thus you chose to be offended.

When someone calls an object or incident gay, depending on the context, it could have absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality. But some gay people might choose to take offense, and others wont bat an eye lid and live happier lives.

Its all about the context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

If you're sick of the response change the username. Again, I'm sorry about saying that last week.

There's life on Earth Jim, but not as we know it.

Its retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Was scratching my inner ear with a pencil when the lead subsequently broke off inside. I had the ingenious idea of trying to remove it with my big, fat finger, only to push it in even further. It was lodged so far into my noodle that I had to go under general anesthetic to have it removed :eek:

Oh, I was the toast of the household, I tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Well I have a brother with Downs Syndrome l.

He must have some wicked stories so ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

He must have some wicked stories so ......
    What a twat you are pal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My problem is that this term was used so flippantly when there are plenty of other terms that wouldn't have potentially offended other people.

For example replace Retarded with Stupidest or Silliest

or 'mong', that's one of my favorites.

No he didn't! :pac:

Whats the most retarded thing i've ever done?

Probably linking to this or this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

beagle001 wrote: »
    What a twat you are pal

I ain't your pal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

PC Brigade: Please stop turning what is a funny brigade into a crusade. You know retard is not meant with regards to folk with down syndrome.

Anti PC Brigade: Kindly stop harping back at the PC Brigade, if they want to be offended, let a mod sort it out.

Now for me, I'd say when the extremely hot swiss chick I met on erasmus and whom I kept in contact with when I went home, invited me to see her in apartment in Switzerland and I declined.

Seriously, I hate myself for it right now.

To the young - providing you do not cause any harm or grief to anyone, take every shot you have, seriously... she was so fricking hot :S

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

when i was 7
    i was lookin over a wall lookin for a football
    then i landed right on my head ouchies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

I ain't your pal
    Thank F-ck for that

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

beagle001 wrote: »
    Thank F-ck for that

oh will the lot of ye just grow up and take it to PM instead of hijacking a thread with your silly bickering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

Well I have a brother with Downs Syndrome and I find the thread title offensive, and I'm sure many other people do that knows anyone with a disability, be it physical or mental.

it doesn't cause offence to me because if I decided to read a thread on AH, I know whats to be expected. For the record, i know and have conversations with people that have downs syndrome and other disability's and never once have I said to myself " they are retarded "

Some people should just stay the f*uk away from AH. If I see a thread that may wind me up a bit.

Guess what I do?

Yeah, whats the fcuking problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

Have you got a disability

Very good thread but slightly distasteful term

Nope, the only disability I have is a clear understanding of what is to be expected in after hours.

Another piece of useless information is this. The op never intended to cause offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I once took mild offence to a post directed at me in the Thunderdome.

Advertisement