Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Discworld Convention

Options
  • 15-11-2010 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure what the tolerence level is on advertising (I'm just informing people, I swear!) but I just wanted to let you guys know about the second Irish Discworld Convention.

The first one, November 2009, was such a success and so enjoyable that we were pretty much ordered by Professor Sir Terry Pratchett, OBE (then simply Sir Terry Pratchett, OBE) to have another!

We will, once again, be hosting it at the Falls Hotel, Ennistymon, Co. Clare, from the 4th to the 7th November, 2011.

Further details can be found at our website or facebook page.

www . iwdcon . org

Thanks!

IDWCon11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Hi,

I was at the last one in 2009, it was a great experience. The Falls Hotel is a wonderful setting (if a little hard to reach), and it was full of friendly but crazy Discworld fans of all ages. I'll definitely be going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Sounds like an awesome idea to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

Yay! The first one was fantastic - very well organised. I will definitely make the trek to Clare again for this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

One word... GO.

Its truly wonderful fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IDWCon11

Hi guys, I've kinda gotten the go ahead to talk a bit more about the convention.

It's being held in Co. Clare, in the Falls Hotel, Ennistymon. And there is a membership fee to attend the events (currently €40 for an adult, €30 for student). We have different event such as talks, panals, games and interviews.

The main events are the Guest of Honour Interview with Sir Terry Pratchett, The Maskerade (a costumes and character show, by you the members), a Chéilí and the Oswald Awards and Posh Dinner (a separate cost to the membership one). On Sunday we will be having our charity auction - auctioning off fan memorabilia and cool stuff (pm to donate stuff now!). Last year we raised €4000 for Alzheimers Ireland.

For more information visit our website: idwcon.org

I'll be around answering any questions you may have!

See ye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Any hope of more info from someone who hasn't been to the last one?

I'm very tempted to go, but I'm worried it might be too nerdy for my tastes. What's the age range like and what are the quizzes and games like? I don't think I'd enjoy LARPing with a bunch of kids....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

How would one go about getting there from Dublin? I missed the last one because of its out-of-the-way-ness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Well if you got a train (Dublin-Galway-Ennis) or bus to Ennis, I'd imagine you could get a bus from there. Otherwise I'd try befriending a boardsie who's planning on driving....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

I had difficulty finding a bus that went anywhere near the hotel last time. I shall look harder! Thank ya kindly :)

I had difficulty finding a bus that went anywhere near the hotel last time. I shall look harder! Thank ya kindly :)

Hi LvP

There is a convention Shuttle bus from Shannon airport direct to the hotel if thats any good to you.
    From IDWCON http://idwcon.org/getting-there

Convention Shuttle Bus - the smart way to travel :-D

The convention will be running a shuttle bus from Shannon Airport and some other transport hubs. A price has not been set yet but shouldn't be more than €10. Details will be posted asap.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Some more information - as asked for!

Programme items that were on last year:
    Quizzes included:
    - UnseenUnivercity Challange - a take on the popular tv quiz show.
    - The extremely Difficult Pub Quiz - as the name suggests, fun but tough...
    - So you think you know the answer - a non discworld themed quiz that asked questions you think you know the answer to!

Panels:
    - The discworld movies, current, possible and who you would like to be in them - a general discussion group type thing.
    - Irish folklore in the Discworld - very informative take on things

Interviews
    -The Guest of Honour Interview - Sir Terry Pratchett presiding.
    - The Afternoon show - with Colin Smythe (Terry's Agent), Jack Cohen (Co-Author of the Science of Discworld) and Bernard Pearson (who created the Clarecraft workshop and models, now creates the stamps and has known Terry for longer than he can remember and has some excellent stories - if you've seen the Alzheimers documentary it was him who did the mold of Terry's head and spoke afterwards).
    -We also had Diane Duane and Peter Morwood, two authors, she of Star Trek novels and the Young Wizard Series, he of The Horse Lord series, again, they are long time friends of Terry.

Big Events
    -Chéilí
    -Maskerade - like a talent competition, only you don't necessarily have to be talented. Just need to impress the judge with your costume and content (generally a little speech or joke type thingie - see youtube for more details ->
    -Disco
    -Sunday night Posh Dinner - Oswalds (Oscars) themed event with awards for catagories such as - Best Terry, Best Corset in a supporting role, Best Costume.

There are plently of other panels and games on the agenda for this year and some of the more popular ones from last year will make a reappearance -the posh dinner and the UU challange being two. In fact Terry stipulated that the Oswald Awards were to happen again.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned the attendance fee in an earlier post, if not they're on the website (idwcon.org). The Posh Dinner is a separate cost, though well worth it.

And as someone posted earlier, we will be running a shuttle bus service. More details will follow.

Hope that clear some detail up. If ye've any more questions then don't hesitate to ask. And I hope we'll see some of you there!

:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ElphieT

I missed the last one but I am going to do my best to go this year!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Why are you having it in the sticks again? Fair enough if you don't want to have it in Dublin (gods forbid you get a massive crowd...), but why not put it somewhere like Galway where people can get to easily?

We're having it in The Falls Hotel again for a few reasons.

Mainly that there was no objections to having it in The Falls when we asked people to give us there opinion, both in person and on the web.

The falls makes sense because they give us the best price in all areas. They are also pretty much gauranteed to fill up. In a city people would book into a b&b.

The list goes on.

Your only disadvantage to this hotel is easier solve than you think.

From Galway there is a bus to the west coast and transport is being organised between Shannon, Ennis and the hotel at a small fee.

Everybody who talked to us at the last convention really enjoyed the intimate atmosphere provided by being in the country and near the waterfall from which the hotel gets it's name.

For answers on tranport, hotel and membership you can
    visit: www. idwcon .org
    or
    email: irishdiscworldcon @ gmail . com

Any hope of more info from someone who hasn't been to the last one?

I'm very tempted to go, but I'm worried it might be too nerdy for my tastes. What's the age range like and what are the quizzes and games like? I don't think I'd enjoy LARPing with a bunch of kids....

It's not that nerdy, honest, everybody is really easy to get along with and we had people of all ages from toddler to much older. And most of our games of Werewolf and the sort had a great mix of the crowd in them.

For those that wish to bring the kids and keep them entertained, we'll also have a kiddies corner with discworld based games and colouring.

Trust us, you'll have great craic! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

I was there in 2009 and it was mainly adults if I remember correctly. I only saw one other teenager (coincidentally who I knew but I digress) and a few kids
    But anyways it was great fun because it was small and had a more family feel (also the lack of competit... *ahem* I mean my talent meant I was able to win a prize =D)

Kharn wrote: »
    Why are you having it in the sticks again? Fair enough if you don't want to have it in Dublin (gods forbid you get a massive crowd...), but why not put it somewhere like Galway where people can get to easily?

Hey Kharn if you're stuck for a lift and can make it to my neck of the woods you're welcome to travel with us. :D

For those of you trying to keep up to date with Discworld news, and Discworld in Ireland news, try our twitter feed (#idwcon) or find us on facebook.

I won't link directly cos I don't want to get in trouble.

Also, I wanted to let you know about our guests.

As you are aware our Guest of Honour is none other than Mr Sir Terry Pratchett, OBE, himself! Along with him we have many of his co-author. Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen who have co-written the Science of Discworld. Both are well known in their own fields - Maths and Biology, respectively. Ian has a new book out called the Mathematics of Life and Jack is well known for his help in creating the fantasy worlds by Anne McCaffery (or the science behind them).

Bernard Pearson is the man behind the original Discworld craftwork - liscensed stuff anyway. And has a million and one stories about his time working with Terry. You might have seen him in Terry's doc, Living with Alzheimers.

Colin Smythe is the man Terry went to initially to get his books, the Carpet People, published. Colin, initially his publisher, has stayed on as his agent. Again, this man has stories to tell.

Jacqueline Wilson co-wrote the Folklore of the Disc and is a renown folklore expert. Expect midnight ghost stories that will send you to the bar for a night cap to help you sleep.

I'll be in touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Brilliant its only down the road from me. Count me in. Just wondering would there be any book signing? Be nice to have a signed book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

May sound like a ridiculous question I'm sure, and I know it depends, but are non discworld fans likely to enjoy themselves?

Would very much love to go, and was thinking of bringing the other half, though she's never even touched one of the books, and might be likely to kill me if I convince her to go and then she has an awful time :P

Have dragged her to a few diff conventions before, but never one over a few days in the middle of nowhere with no escape :pac:

She'd be all up for the fancy dress I'm sure, and she's very outgoing, but just exactly how geeky does it get? And is she likely to be a bit of a social pariah with no idea of what's going on? :P

Kind thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

KonFusion wrote: »
    but are non discworld fans likely to enjoy themselves?

From what I remember there was lots of non-discworld related things to do (like playing werewolf/a reading the Eye of Argon competition) so she shouldn't be too bored Oh and some game which involved blindfolding a person and giving them directions to a target (usually the lift =P)
    So yeah there's plenty for non-discworld fans to enjoy themselves with
    KonFusion wrote: »
    She'd be all up for the fancy dress I'm sure, and she's very outgoing, but just exactly how geeky does it get? And is she likely to be a bit of a social pariah with no idea of what's going on? :P

I can't really remember how geeky it got (In fact I can't remember much past the Maskerade... =D ) but I don't think she'd feel left out It's a very family like convention because it's so small and I'm sure she'd have a great time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jhop

Hi! I am thinking of dropping in on the Saturday to say hi to Terry.

I see the program there, but I cant see when things are on. Or to put it another way...when should I turn up, and when should I leave?? And what will I see while I am there? I have a feeling that the citizens of discworld are nocturnal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Can't believe I didn't check in here and go to see Terry. I'm a massive fan, the books helped me get through them awkward Teenage years!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Tp dropped out didn't he? Heard him on today fm a week or so ago saying he couldn't make it. A real pity,i have a fan copy of I shall wear midnight with my photo on the cover and really wanted him to sign it :( Must get to one of the uk ones i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sools

A this happening

Advertisement