Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old SLR Lens on New DSLR

• 15-11-2010 3:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

Was think of getting a DSLR and i was wondering do all lens fit all cameras or are their specific to a camera. I have a old Cannon SLR from the late 80's (my fathers) there are a 3-4 lens and it would be handy to make use of them.
    If i post the model of camera would that help? dont have it here but will get it tomorrow.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

No there isn't a standard mount. In fact there are incompatibilies within systems. Nikon probably has the most backwards compatability with their F Mount but that is not 100%.

With a DSLR you buy into a system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yes and no. They won't work on any DSLR but they may very well work on Canon DSLR's.

If your Dad's camera's part of the Canon EOS range (which came out in the 80's), then yes, the lenses (called an EF fit) will fit any Canon DSLR though you may have to apply a multiplier of 1.6 to their focal range due to different sensor sizes. Note: there may be issues with autofocus etc. if they're non-Canon lenses (e.g. Sigma)

Older Canon lenses may have the FD fit which won't fit modern Canon DSLR's.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

This is really annoying- I used EOS film cameras, then when I switched to Digital all the lenses fit- but some don't work properly- eg a sigma telephoto worked at maxmmum aperture only. On top of that the trigger voltage for the flashes was lowered- so old flashes didn't work on it either. In the end only one piece of existing kit worked on the digital- So even if the lenses are the same fit- check to see if they will work properly with the digital kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Sleepy wrote: »
    Older Canon lenses may have the FD fit which won't fit modern Canon DSLR's.

Yeah it FD fit. And even some of the lens have adapters to fit FD, so god knows what the original fitting is:D 2 of them are made by Tamron.

The camera is one of these; Brought out in 1981
    708px-Canon_AE-1_Program_Black2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Im looking at getting a few old primes. Anyone know if there is a good adapter that doesnt cost a bomb where you dont comprimise quality or f/stops? cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement