Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love of Australia or fear of what's happening at home

Options
  • 15-11-2010 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Perhaps this has been done recently but thought I would post anyways as I am out of touch with the "young folk".

Would be interested to know from people who have come out in the past 12 - 18 months on the whv what their views on their impending return to Ireland are?

I am from a time that when I was returning to Ireland the celtic tiger was in it puddy cat stage and had not morfed into the beast it became. Many from my time were abit non·plused as they were back on their feet (especially the trades people) as soon as they touched down in Dublin and the family/what you know/have work factors negated the Aus/different/sun and the other s's.

Different ball game now with the possiblilty of the ball being taken away.

So does the thought of returning scare the daylights out of you? Are you doing everything legally possible to stay (no "I'll go illegal/get a fake de facto etc)?

just interested in the general census.
    thanks
    myhorse (must be me longest post?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Can't say how would feel now if i was on a WHV and returing home . Only speak from my exprince back in 2001 I was in Sydney from end of 2000 to end of 2001 and I didn't want to come back home even then when things were just getting started going here in Ireland .

When I Landed in Dublin on 21 st Oct 2001 I wanted to stay on the plane and just go back to Oz . Maybe because I had just left the love of my life back in Oz .

We'll 10 years later ( i know a long time) alot trips back and forward to OZ a wife and little girl i'll be moving back to Melbourne very soon .

I'll miss Ireland a little but be glad to be out of here and back where I left my heart 10 years ago .

Never really settled back here in Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

I think your love for Australia has shone through from your posts and with your website.

It sure has been a long road but I think the appreciation will be even more than you expect now that its finally coming to an end. And the beauty (certainly for me) is having the freedom to have both countries as home.

just a pity you picked melbourne :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Well my wife is from Melbourne so not likely i'd get her to live any where eles..lol . Was dam lucky that she stuck out 4 years in Ireland

But having saying that Sydney was a great city when I was young n going out for the craic great young people's city . Call me old but found Melbourne more laid back . Not that it's not a fun lively city too but also love F1 n to have that on your door step every year will be a dream come ture .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

At the moment you are lucky and probably doing the right thing, was listening to the radio today and the heard the Euro took a hit because Ireland is going to have to be bailed out by Europe.

Does this mean if I return I will have to learn German or God forbid ......French?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

sydney is a fantastic city to live in , it is getting very very expensive to live here though , especially the price of rental properties and food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I can't wait to return home after working in NZ for a year. I know things are bad at the moment but as with everything it probably is being exagerated. There is still an awful lot of positives about Ireland and with a bit of time Ireland will get through its troubles. Probably helps that there seems to be jobs in my area (Accounting) so should be able to pick something up when I get home.

jonnybravo wrote: »
    I can't wait to return home after working in NZ for a year. I know things are bad at the moment but as with everything it probably is being exagerated. There is still an awful lot of positives about Ireland and with a bit of time Ireland will get through its troubles. Probably helps that there seems to be jobs in my area (Accounting) so should be able to pick something up when I get home.

All the best in your return.
    I do agree Ireland has so many positives and I feel after the country lost the run of itself that it will be returning to more "traditional" Irish values.

It's certainly interesting times there and if nothing else I think you will be on the ground to witness one of the most defining times in the history of the state (apols if your from the north but you get what I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

I came over on a WHV but got sponsored in May of this year (arrived in Dec 09) and at the start I said I would give it a year, half way through the year I thought I would end up giving it two and I am here almost a year and it is probably safe to say I will be here for another few years.

I accept that circumstances do change and I wont really know where I "belong" so to speak until I come back over after my holiday at Christmas but Sydney now feels like home to be and more specific my basic but cosy apartment 30 seconds from Bondi beach which I would not give up for the world or probably even double the rent!

So at this stage it is the love of Australia that has me here, dont really have the fear of returning home because thankfully I am at the moment in control of what I want to do! However, I know I would get work if I went home I just have no desire... this whole "the countries f*cked" mindset eventually got to me at home so intend to keep that at arms length for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Only out hereby month but already sorted with place to live, a job and enjoying myself more. Looking at the news is really making me think of doing the regional work and stay another year here. Nothing to go back for. Not really homesick but its early. Ill miss people more so than Ireland. More than likely i won't be back there for a long time and if it is it will be a flying visit just to see people.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 oooomy

My visas up in about 4 months looking forward to going back couldnt give a **** how broke it is. cant complain really got a good job here, offered sponsorship but decided not to go for it. finding it hard to meet people in auckland guess its part my own fault cause im going out with a girl here and not making much of an effort but im just not meeting anyone to have a laugh with. i did a year in aus before on my own and it was way easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I've been home since the end of july, and pretty much every day I think about coming back over! Once i finish this college course, get a bit of experience, and if the countrys still dyin a slow death, i'll seriously consider moving out there long term.

What people dont realise while in Oz, is that everyone here constantly talks about the "R" word. like non-stop, 24/7. For people who still have jobs, or who are in college, or basically not part of the "unemployed", its a serious pain in the hole having to listen to all this talk! Theres more gloom on the telly now than after Keane left Saipan! Its so frustrating! The constant barrage of miserableness being forced upon you. Its a big chance from living in the carefree Oz where all you hear about is some bird gettin photographed in the shower, or how everyones getting $700 for free!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 AlMadden

jonnybravo wrote: »
    I can't wait to return home after working in NZ for a year. I know things are bad at the moment but as with everything it probably is being exagerated.

Jonny I know we do exaggerate a bit but to be honest with you . If you can say in NZ stay there . Things are only getting worse by the day here . The EU n IMF have just come into Ireland to try and bail the coutry out and fix the mess our Gov have made of here .
    There is still an awful lot of positives about Ireland and with a bit of time Ireland will get through its troubles.
    The bit of time you talk about is 2016 - 2018 then the coutry might start to come out of the depression . Yes it's not a ression we're in it's a depression .
    Probably helps that there seems to be jobs in my area (Accounting) so should be able to pick something up when I get home.
    As for jobs in Accounting there prob might be but expect to have a few 100 appling for the one job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dublin15_2009

AlMadden wrote: »
    Jonny I know we do exaggerate a bit but to be honest with you . If you can say in NZ stay there . Things are only getting worse by the day here . The EU n IMF have just come into Ireland to try and bail the coutry out and fix the mess our Gov have made of here .

As for jobs in Accounting there prob might be but expect to have a few 100 appling for the one job

This talk of "stay away from Ireland if you can" does my head in !!!! Life goes on regardless of a recession/depression!!! People need to get on with it and stop giving out and complaining ,im sick of miserable people.Cheer up we're still alive!!!
    And I was offered 2 accountant jobs in the last 2 weeks , so some things are not so bad..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Whats going on at home ??

I have looked on SBS and I can get news from every euro nation except Ireland??

Zambia232 wrote: »

That's because I think it imploded, you would have been safer watching the German news because I think they just bought us.

It ok though I think you can just swap your Irish passport for a German one.

I looked at RTE news online after some bemusement at the sheer hysteria/comments in the politics forum.

I am frankly flabbergasted....

This year 26 Billion euro has been withdrawn from AIB & BOI not to mention the former being nationalised. ???

IMF are they not for like Greece and war zones??

I looked at RTE news online after some bemusement at the sheer hysteria/comments in the politics forum.

This year 26 Billion euro has been withdrawn from AIB & BOI not to mention the former being nationalised. ???

Ireland's credit rating is so low... other nations wont even accept cash of them. I reckon the Irish will be asking the Polish for a sub and there will be Irish kids trying to sell Roses in Romania.

Ireland wishes they were Greece.
    Its unreal what's going on. Reading the papers and other forums it's 100Billion that's needed - the repayments are somewhere in the region of 5Billion a year just to cover interest.
    Civil service will be slashed and we lose financial soverenity. The Irish government effectively loses control of the finance of the country and the IMF take over. Pensions/ dole / basic wage are all on the table. One of the major bones of contension with the other EU countries is our 12.5% coporate tax rate (i.e the reason google/Intel/Microsoft etc are in Ireland - forget the bull about an educated workforce there is only one reason they are in Ireland and that's because it's a tax dodge) - lose that and who knows.

Basically Ireland will be in hock for the foreseeable future.

Ireland's always been in hock.

However Sat on the neighbours porch today with that sun shining knocking back an ice cold VB (Very Bogan).Days like today you just love Oz

• Advertisement

Ireland's always been in hock.

However Sat on the neighbours porch today with that sun shining knocking back an ice cold VB (Very Bogan).Days like today you just love Oz

I dont know man it's not all VB and nice sunsets. I only got 2 hours on the beach today. 5K run took for ever as there was too many people on the coastal path (especially women) and dinner and 4 beers cost me $30 tonight.

It's this side of Australia you never hear about and people should be warned.

Dinner and 4 beers for 30 bucks is not bad...

EDIT ---hang on what was dinner ?

But I agree its not all beer and sunsets.

This week I will be out of the house at 5am every morning and not back till 7pm.

Dinner and 4 beers for 30 bucks is not bad...

EDIT ---hang on what was dinner ?

But I agree its not all beer and sunsets.

This week I will be out of the house at 5am every morning and not back till 7pm.

fantastic deals to be found. There is honestly no reason to spend more that $15 on a good meal around my neck of the woods as everywhere is competing for the tourist and backpacker dollar and I am not talking RSL meals either (nothing wrong with them in the right RSL).

Dinner tonight was lasagna, chips and salad and it was substantial. $15. $4 a beer. so yeah I was a dollar out.

edit: now watching the 20/20 Cricket - it does get addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

bastards! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

AlMadden wrote: »

The bit of time you talk about is 2016 - 2018 then the coutry might start to come out of the depression . Yes it's not a ression we're in it's a depression .

Things are bad in Ireland no doubt about it but there's still no where else I want to live. As long as I can get a job at home I'll stay there. I've got a good qualification and alot of my friends have gotten accounting jobs in the last few months so hopefully it won't be too much hassle getting a job.

Recession / depression does also have some positives such as I'll probably be able to afford to buy a house at some stage when I get home, without having to get a mortgage over 40 years. Going away for a year has opened my eyes to a lot of the positives about Ireland. Its not all doom and gloom as some peole would paint it.

I still have a 1/2 share in a good house and about 20 acres of good land over there, so I would hate to think its all doom & gloom.

I hate to think how those German Panzer Tanks would make a mess of the back paddock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Just talkin to MAmmy about five minutes ago

She says that anyone in the Parish with an ounce of gumption is leaving

Is it time for some of us to Bite the Bullet and go home to Fix this mess??

Cos in fairness we left ye alone for long enough and look at the mess ye've made of OUR country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

OP - very good idea of a thread.

Ive been away from Ireland (in Germany) 10 years at this stage. Its always something that you would wonder about as to whether you would be happy to be in a far away English speaking place like the US or Australia as an emmigrant instead of the continent.
    (The one thing US/AUS doesnt have is <100 Euro, 2hour flights back home when you feel like seeing you family in the flesh. )

Anyhow, a lot who have stuck with the emmigration lark have partners who are from the host country here or people from a third country that they met abroad and wouldnt be in the mind to move to Ireland.
    Its not that they have a wild preference for being outside Ireland.

I presume a lot in Australia are in the same boat.
    Choosing to stay there can be much to do with your life circumstances than a love for Australia.
    That australia is nice is a bonus, on top of finding the love of your life!!

Is it time for some of us to Bite the Bullet and go home to Fix this mess??

You first big lad we are all right behind you:)

• Advertisement

You first big lad we are all right behind you:)

Who wants to hang around and turn off the lights?

More seriously spent most of today trying to keep up with the last 24 hours in Ireland.

Unreal !

Advertisement