Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love of Australia or fear of what's happening at home

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Lads its all to complex the figures are meaningless now....##I mean is this true

Ireland's external debt is a staggering 1000% of GDP. UK is only three places behind at 416%. Greece is "only" 167% and look at what happend there.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Lads its all to complex the figures are meaningless now....##I mean is this true

Ireland's external debt is a staggering 1000% of GDP. UK is only three places behind at 416%. Greece is "only" 167% and look at what happend there.

As I posted yesterday the unofficial figure being thrown around was e100B and today they finally admit to asking for e80B and I would expect more to be asked for.

The bit that gets me is how there has not being an uprising. The lies over the past few weeks are unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Only been here a few months and Australia seems to be flying, though with the mass emigration to Australia that will follow Irelands recent news and people flocking from all over Europe to here do you think Oz will end up where Ireland is in 4-5 years?. There is hardly enough jobs to go around?.

Just looking at the property market over here it looks to mimic Ireland 3-4 years ago?. Surely it has to go bust at some stage!.

I don't understand how someone can buy a 1 bed apartment in Sydney for 1.5 - 2 million and then expect to make a return on it charging $600 a week rent. Like if you get a mortgage THAT big and you are getting 30 odd grand in rent a year, how the hell do you pay off the mortgage? :confused:

Feelgood wrote: »
    Only been here a few months and Australia seems to be flying, though with the mass emigration to Australia that will follow Irelands recent news and people flocking from all over Europe to here do you think Oz will end up where Ireland is in 4-5 years?. There is hardly enough jobs to go around?.

Aus has a pretty controlled migration program that operates on a sliding scale. certain no. of visas per year per type of visa. Most skilled programs can be shut down or seriously curtailed at a moments notice. This happened to a certain extent already with the wait time being put on skilled independent and the cancellation of some already in the system
    Just looking at the property market over here it looks to mimic Ireland 3-4 years ago?. Surely it has to go bust at some stage!.

I don't understand how someone can buy a 1 bed apartment in Sydney for 1.5 - 2 million and then expect to make a return on it charging $600 a week rent. Like if you get a mortgage THAT big and you are getting 30 odd grand in rent a year, how the hell do you pay off the mortgage? :confused:

You dont - negative gearing and they are usually an investment purchase. I think for the whole the million dollar one bed unit is rare. Say top end $600K but there are all sorts of reasons people will do it. Outside the boutique areas though you are correct they will get hit and historically do in 7 yr cycles - 4 yrs up 3 yrs down or no growth . Certain areas, in my 16 yr experience, are nearly ring fenced. Stagnent prices are a bigger fear for these areas and most are already paid off so a loss on a sale can be used to the vendors own end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The housing market crashed in spectacular style in Ireland because there was no control over the building development or the immigration, the Irish government handed out work permits to eastern Europeans left right & centre. All these people had to be housed somewhere especially around Dublin, so people starting getting greedy and buying 3 or 4 houses and renting them out while building themselves a McMansion.

Of course when the GFC hit and most of the big companies used the excuse of extraordinary high wages in Ireland to pull out. Irish people started to take back the jobs in Pubs & factories that the EE had been doing for years and the immigrants all Fucked back to to their own countries.

Paddy_4_houses now has 3 houses with no-one to rent them and the bank on his heals...trys to sell them cheap to get shot of them only Seamus_5_houses is looking to sell his 4 houses.... hence a property crash from greed... it affects everyone who is trying to sell.

There is plenty of Ghost estates where the developers stopped building through lack of demand.... it was the Developer loans which sank the banks, thanks to the bank guarantee.
    And that is what sank the country.

I wouldn't buy a house in Perth for the same reason, if something happened to the mining the whole economy over there would fall like a house of cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

mandrake04 wrote: »
    the Irish government handed out work permits to eastern Europeans left right & centre.

But aren't the Aussie government doing the same to some extent?. They reckon about 80k people will emigrate from Ireland in the next year to Canada and Australia. The Irish are willing to come out here and do all the crap jobs for just alright money if it means they get to stay in Australia and experience a better quality of life. Doesn't that kinda make us the eastern Europeans of Australia?.

I know the skilled migration visas are pretty tight with long waiting periods and that so that is fairly controlled but there are going to be a huge pile of WHVs coming though and a lot of those with a trade hoping to get sponsored. Effectively Oz will now have more of a supply of people than the demand, meaning they can work the bollox off people and pay them crap much like the Irish did with the EEs!.

Won't that set Oz on a similar path to Ireland in terms of employment though?. I know the unemployment rate is very low, but every second person is talking about coming to Oz these days. I just can't see jobs for everyone out here.

But aren't the Aussie government doing the same to some extent?. They reckon about 80k people will emigrate from Ireland in the next year to Canada and Australia. The Irish are willing to come out here and do all the crap jobs for just alright money if it means they get to stay in Australia and experience a better quality of life. Doesn't that kinda make us the eastern Europeans of Australia?.

I know the skilled migration visas are pretty tight with long waiting periods and that so that is fairly controlled but there are going to be a huge pile of WHVs coming though and a lot of those with a trade hoping to get sponsored. Effectively Oz will now have more of a supply of people than the demand, meaning they can work the bollox off people and pay them crap much like the Irish did with the EEs!.

Won't that set Oz on a similar path to Ireland in terms of employment though?. I know the unemployment rate is very low, but every second person is talking about coming to Oz these days. I just can't see jobs for everyone out here.

No in a word. To expand, you are correct vast majority will be on whv. A simple technique for the government to cut back on the ones needing sponsorship is for them to start to really probe if the criteria is met i.e. can the position not be filled from the local job market.

Sponsorship is not a given and while the gov are usually pretty cool about it if / when they start to crack down some employers will decide its just not worth the grief (and maybe have other reasons..). Only a small portion of people get sponsored anyways.

The government have already shown a willingness to reign in the cash cow that was the student visa - so they will have no problem doing the same with other visa types. And simply restriciting numbers / following up to a minute detail that the criteria is being met will be enough.

Here is the important bit, even if there is a huge number given out and thousands get it - if they are let go they have 28 days to get a job (sponsored) or else they are out of the country. There is pretty much no entitlements with a sponsored visa.

Even if on a skilled independent visa if you are not working you dont get anything unless you have been working for two years prior to that. And the dole (I believe) is means tested and would not support you.

Also dont confuse the eastern europeans that came to ireland from EU countries with migrants to Australia - an EU passport was all that was required in the first instance and a strict visa program in the second.

Not sure what will happen as I don't have a Crystal ball but like I said Ireland's failure was a mixture of bad planning and greed, hind sight is wonderful eh!!

In Australia Skilled Migration is capped, WHV is capped and Temporary Sponsored visa is only granted if you have a job to go to in fact the opposite to the open door policy of Europe. Not sure if Australia intends on Irish doing crap jobs like EE because you need a skill and top of the list are

Doctors
    Nurses
    Engineers
    IT

Hardly crap jobs, cant see them hading out skilled visa to people only fit to work in chicken factories.

I don't know about Canada but there is no way 80,000 Irish people are going emigrate here in the next year that number is just ludicrous. That is half of the total intake into Australia from the whole world last year. (that number is being reduced again)

The total number of Permanent emigrants last year was a total 168K (chart A) and looking at chart B Ireland was not even in the top 10 and must have supplied less than 3222 emigrants.

Also have a look at the number of 457 sponsored visa from 1st July 09 to 31st May 2010 (11 months) a total of 60K and Irish applicants (& dependents) had 2950.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

for one, the aussies are delighted with the immigration of qualified talented young people. Ireland might not care that thousands of its best are leaving in droves but Australia is welcoming us english speakers with open arms. They still pay thousands for residents to have kids and want to increase the population not decrease it.

Construction activity at the moment I would argue is hardly sustainable in Oz, neither are house prices. The banks however are very tightly regulated as the GFC proved, there wont be an Anglo style collapse (though I'd like to know how vunerable the Aussie banks are to the European bonds market which I would argue is on the verge of collapse). The raising of interest rates by the banks was welcome really last week despite the hollering from the property supplement heavy media (sound familiar..), hopefully this has the affect of cooling down house prices. As long as the construction activity is mainly infrastructure based e.g. water, rail, roads, airports etc then things should be fine. Be aware everyone that noone is forcing you to buy a house so dont do it. There are other ways to make money. :)

Still though long term even if the Chinese demand for iron ore etc decreases they still have the minerals in the ground for a rainy day for another 200 years or more. The major cities are all in need of urban renewal, if they wanted to kickstart construction down the road they could offer tax breaks to do up places like bondi road which are dumps frankly. While Kevin Rudd's plan for a 'big Australia' has been watered down all evidence is that construction activity will increase even more before falling.

If 80k people do apply for WHV this year then its not really a problem, in previous years backpackers came with BOI type loans "when we start making it you do to...." and boozed around Oz for the year no problem. The Aussies are actually worried about their tourist numbers with the strong A$ so I cant see too much opposition to the WHV programme. The WHV is only for a year anyway - maybe they will start checking more for proof of funds but I doubt it. Things are different now I guess as more of us use the WHV are a step into resident visas. The skilled occupation list was stripped down a good bit last year (solicitors got the boot), they will continue to strip this down if the job market demands it. As mentioned by others a sponsored visa gives you 28 days notice if your employers lets you go. If things begin to quieten down all the Aussie govt needs to do is tighten these regulations. But yes I must start getting my 175 application moving, that 28 days notice to leave is some risk to be carrying.

All evidence is though that for the short term any visa tightening isnt likely to occur - there is a huge shortage of tradespeople and particularly engineers in the country. There is a movement now for a fast tracked visa for those industries in urgent demand, they are talking about reducing the timeframe for trades from 4 years training to 18 months. Irish people since they are English speaking, generally educated and hardworking and bound to travel and spend money all around Oz will continue to be in demand here imo.

Good post padrepio and good luck with that residency.

• Advertisement

Last week

Ireland-for-Sale-on-daft.ie_.jpg

This week

daft-ireland-sold.jpg?w=600&h=504

650041-why-irish-eyes-are-still-crying.gif

While horses starve and people work without wages, a village near Cork in the south of Ireland reportedly lost 30 men last weekend, all headed to England and Australia. Lucy Carne examines how the fallout of a collapsing economy in the Emerald Isles is forcing thousands to seek greener pastures.

"There are people who have beautiful houses and a car but no food. All their spare cash goes on the mortgage" 'We need some luck right here, luck and a miracle," the young restaurant owner says.

Luck is big for the Irish, but as the nation struggles to keep its head above water in a whirlpool of record unemployment, deficit and a disintegrated property market, any luck has long been washed away.

On a Saturday night in a plush Limerick restaurant in the nation's southwest, the room is empty but for a table of two tourists.

The glossy menus have been put in storage, replaced with typed pieces of paper offering just three simple meals.

"We couldn't keep up with the costs of buying all the produce," the young owner says. "No one is eating at restaurants. We can't even pay our staff. They're just working for nothing now in the hope money comes in soon."

In Cork in the south, horses are starving to death.

More than 20,000 horses have been dumped this year, many dying from hunger on golf courses outside the city or so emaciated they must be put down.

For this nation of horse lovers, whose people own the highest number of the animals per capita in Europe, horses were the first to be bought as a sign of wealth in the boom and the first to be scrapped when the sudden slump arrived.

In the capital, Dublin, the new poor are swarming to food banks and shelters. Two years ago the Capuchin Day Centre fed 250 people a night. Today they must serve warm meals for 520.

"There are people who have beautiful houses and a car but no food," the centre's Theresa Dolan says. "All their spare cash goes on the mortgage."

The land of the smiling eyes was dubbed the Celtic Tiger for emulating Asia with its impressive financial growth thanks mainly to foreign investment, particularly from the technology giants Dell and Google.

Three years later and the Irish Republic is in a ruin of empty-pockets and barren banks.

Unemployment went from 4 per cent to 14 per cent. House values dropped 60 per cent.

The burst property bubble left the banks infected with bad loans, forcing the Government to prop them up. And in the final gaping wound, Ireland this year ran a budget deficit equivalent to 32 per cent of its E200 billion GDP.

Signs of shakiness emerged in September when Ireland's Central Statistics Office announced gross domestic product dropped 1.2 per cent from the first three months of the year.

Forecasters were confused. It was meant to have grown at a 0.5 per cent rate, extending the brief Irish economy expansion seen earlier in the first quarter. The weaker than expected prognosis triggered the euro to drop and prices of Irish bonds to plummet.

But it wasn't until November 18 that deluded Ireland finally stopped insisting it was fine.

After the Irish Government tried to hold up the banks, they became responsible for all the banks' debts, which were unfortunately several times more the economy's output. Foreign investors became nervous and started pulling their money out of the banks, losses grew, and politicians started sweating.

With the bitter aftertaste of Greece's financial collapse earlier this year still lingering, the European Union governments became highly agitated with Ireland's instability. Ultimately it was the European Union which pushed Ireland into admitting it was in crisis and to accept a bailout.

Last Sunday they agreed on an E85 billion rescue package to contain the fallout and show

the Euro-sceptics they could handle any problems.

Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen also last week outlined a desperate austerity plan involving E15 billion of cuts to state spending, reducing the minimum wage, axing 25,000 jobs and hopefully earning an extra E1.9 billion from raised tax.

"This is not a rescue plan," prominent commentator Fintan O'Toole said during mass protests last Saturday. "It is the longest ransom note in history: do what we tell you and you may, in time, get your country back."

With a third of the population aged under 25 out of work, the tough, some say unrealistic, measures in the rescue plan are predicted to push people out, particularly young people.

"The younger generations have all grown up thinking its normal to be loaded," a 28-year-old Dublin TV presenter, who asked not to be named, said. "We need to realise there is nothing normal in a family owning three houses.

"The Depression has set it. We really know we're in trouble, the worst we've seen in our lifetime."

As University College Dublin professor Declan Kiberd said of the prevailing atmosphere: "Nobody knows what will happen next - not even our leaders.

"We walk as a community in darkness down a strangely unfamiliar road, into a new landscape for which there are no maps."

The Irish have a history of stoic survival. When a crisis hits, they flee. During the Potato Famine in the mid-1800s, more than one million Irish left their homeland.

Between 2010 and 2015 more than 200,000 Irish will emigrate, Ireland's Economic and Social Research Institute said.

The exodus will mainly be young people to Australia, New Zealand and England, according to the research body.

Australia has already had a taste of this exodus with a record jump in Irish migrants in the 12 months to June 30 this year. More than 3000 Irish people permanently migrated to Australia in that period, which was a 21.6 per cent increase on last year, according to the Department of Immigration.

In addition to the number of migrants is a "huge number" of working holidaymakers on temporary visas who "will switch and try to stay", according to Migration Expert senior Australian migration consultant Rebecca Matanle.

"Previously it was more positive and Irish people were attracted to Australia's lifestyle and climate," Ms Matanle said. "Now it is more driven by the fact that people feel they have no future. There are a lot of people in Ireland thinking "That's it, I'm done'."

One village near Cork in the south of Ireland reportedly lost 30 men last weekend all headed to England and Australia.

"Ireland needs young people with energy to take the country in a different course, but they are simply having to leave the country," Cork teacher Liam Young, 28, said.

Ireland's Shadow Minister on Foreign Affairs Sean Barrett said the skills drain was a massive failure that needs to be urgently corrected.

"I hate to think as a country we are not capable of looking after our people," the Irish Fine Gael politician told News Limited.

But while the bailout pushes people to cross borders in search of stability, the biggest concern is that it may knock over the debt dominoes of Europe.

On Monday, 24 hours after the bailout was announced, the euro dropped to a two-month low and the major European markets plummeted sharply.

The EU clearly has a tough job convincing the world it can handle its finances.

The major fear is the risk of financial contagion that Spain and Portugal will join Ireland and Greece to become the PIGS who have been too greedy in the EU trough.

Like Ireland, Spain and Portugal have overwrought finances coupled with high unemployment and unstable governments. Both are expected to raise their hands for bailouts soon.

Yields on Spanish and Portuguese long-term debts - an indicator of how much the market would charge to lend governments money - are trading near their highest levels since joining the eurozone in 1999.

This sends a loud message that the world's markets have unrelenting concerns the eurozone cannot handle its debt.

Whether they can prop each other up or the European house of cards tumbles, is still unknown, but it will take more than luck to see them through.

P52 of Sunday Telegraph

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

mandrake04 wrote: »
    The housing market crashed in spectacular style in Ireland because there was no control over the building development or the immigration, the Irish government handed out work permits to eastern Europeans left right & centre.

To be fair the Government didnt hand out work permits, as part of the EU and free movement of trade no visa is required. That is why Australia is so different and if too many people are coming in they can just close up the borders.

To be fair the Government didnt hand out work permits, as part of the EU and free movement of trade no visa is required. That is why Australia is so different and if too many people are coming in they can just close up the borders.

Yeah it was like an open door although I thought you needed a work permit if you were from places like Bulgaria & Romania.

That article is pretty terrifying reading Mandrake especially since the family is all at home.

I do however doubt the accuracy of the reports of mass migration here and NZ. We all here are well aware of the process of migration to this part of the world. Its not a quick fix and its not free. Its seems every time a reporter wants to write a sensational stat on migration they ask a few punters on the street where would you go and because they say Australia it becomes fact.

It quite frankly gives me the ****s.

3000 people migrating here in a year is not a huge figure. By far they would be more on the money looking for the stats on people looking for sponsorship while on the WHV program. That figure may be more revealing.

What is for sure is the amount of Irish traffic heading towards this part of the world will rise. Its a pity because lets face it its the skilled people that Ireland will need. Thats you guys ...

Well according to the 457 stats posted on my post #39 there were 2120 sponsored 457 visas issued to Irish Citizens plus another 830 defactos (& kids in some cases) from Jul 09 - May 10

Over the year 08/09 and 09/10 there was 22K & 14K respective amounts of WHV issued so if you assume that most people stay a full year and some maybe 2 (on 2nd WHV) and that it is likely that you would get sponsored after at least 3 -6 months of working for an employer.

so for the sake of argument say that 22+14=36/2 is roughly average of 18K per year WHV over the last 2 years

Sponsored/WHV 2120/18000= .117 or just over 11%

less the lucky c**ts who got sponsored from Ireland.

You would assume that less than 10% of WHV are going make sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Thats my only worry. For a start, the pay isnt even that bad- most lads are on between 750 and a grand for labouring. My rent for my own room in the CBD, food, booze*, all my costs are lower than living in worse conditions in Ireland 2 years ago. Nightshift can make ridicilous money. Problem is, the amount of Irish here is nowhere near shrinking- nobody who started arriving 2 to 3 years ago is actually leaving, yet in the last 6 months there seems to have been a massive new influx of people, pretty much all of them construction bound (when I first arrived there were quite a few Irish lads working in bars and offices, now there are none pretty much).

myhorse wrote: »

The government have already shown a willingness to reign in the cash cow that was the student visa - so they will have no problem doing the same with other visa types. And simply restriciting numbers / following up to a minute detail that the criteria is being met will be enough.

Since when? As I predicted at the time, I havent heard a word about it since the election. Stop the boats, stop Johnny Foreigner and his dodgy student visas, get relected....no more word on it because it is too much effort to explain to the thicker members of the electorate that Australia needs Indians to work the crap jobs. Well played Gillard.

As for emigration, Im not particularly saddened by it. Theres a better life away from Ireland, truth be told even during the boom life was better abroad.

Since when?
    27th March
    As I predicted at the time,
    Good call. Did you back the storm for the premiership as well?
    I havent heard a word about it since the election.

bleedin' dept of Immi not telling ya
    Stop the boats, stop Johnny Foreigner and his dodgy student visas, get relected....no more word on it because it is too much effort to explain to the thicker members of the electorate that Australia needs Indians to work the crap jobs. Well played Gillard.

pssst ...the legislation was already passed. They dont need to do it twice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

As for emigration, Im not particularly saddened by it. Theres a better life away from Ireland, truth be told even during the boom life was better abroad.

My god what an intensive comment. If you don't think emigration is bad for Ireland then you need a slap. Shows you how much you have traveled tbh. There is a big bad world between Dublin and Bondi you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

jank wrote: »
    My god what an intensive comment. If you don't think emigration is bad for Ireland then you need a slap. Shows you how much you have traveled tbh. There is a big bad world between Dublin and Bondi you know.
    ModCut the crap please, if you want to disagree then disagree, no need for personal insults or abuse. No more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Since when? As I predicted at the time, I havent heard a word about it since the election. Stop the boats, stop Johnny Foreigner and his dodgy student visas, get relected....no more word on it because it is too much effort to explain to the thicker members of the electorate that Australia needs Indians to work the crap jobs. Well played Gillard.

Please do us all a favour and read up on immigration laws and policies, before spouting this nonsense. They have already passed and cut down on the student visa route.
    You clearly are mixing up asylum seekers and foreign students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

At the moment it is good for Ireland. Too many are on welfare, best thing for the country is to relive those numbers while we recover. As said, even during the boom we were being held hostage by such greed by businesses that it was truly never a great place to live if you werent super wealthy.
    Please do us all a favour and read up on immigration laws and policies, before spouting this nonsense. They have already passed and cut down on the student visa route.

AFAIK they cut off a handful of courses that were highlighted by the media as being pointless (basic cookery being one of them). There are still quite a few of dubious merit available, and there always will be. Yet again it must be pointed out- cheap courses are needed for cheap labour from the likes of India. The Aussie government knows this. The Aussie public dont realise it. Neither of the two like it. The task for the government is to skirt the line of appearing to crack down on immigrants while letting in enough of them to do the crap graveyard shifts, all in order to placate the type of voting pleb who gets their news from watching rubbish like Today Tonight. It is better than introducing renewable work permits as they make upwards of 5 grand on fees, which, of course, is taxed. Charging people from 3rd word countries 5 Grand for a workl permit would be seen as exploitative.

Australia doesnt do work permits, they use visa's.

At the moment it is good for Ireland. Too many are on welfare, best thing for the country is to relive those numbers while we recover. As said, even during the boom we were being held hostage by such greed by businesses that it was truly never a great place to live if you werent super wealthy.

Ah, at the moment. Seriously, you dont have a clue. Do you know how much it costs to put a child through primary, secondary and third level education only for them to **** off to OZ or Canada or some place only for them not to return. Those who left in the 80's I can assure you that most of them left for good never to return.

AFAIK.......

Stopped reading after that.

This robbed from another user to state why emmigration is so bad for a country.
    Yes, its 100% negative. It reduces Irelands human capital. It also means every penny spent on the education of a person from the age of 5 to 18 is utterly wasted, a subsidy to some other economy where that person will generate wealth, instead of generating it in Ireland.

We dont need to rely on emigration to resolve our problems: If we are brave enough when tacking the unions and the entrenched interests that feed of the states revenue (look at the NAMA "advisors" that have been hired) then we can solve the unemployment problem by creating the space of new businesses to start up and hire people at competitive rates.

Theres an old essential myth about Ireland not being big enough for everyone to live here that Brian Lenihans father infamously claimed. What Lenihan meant was that to provide a vibrant economy that could create wealth and jobs would mean the insiders would have to remove their dead hands from the throats and pockets of the Irish people. They didnt want to do that then, and they dont want to do that now. We dont have to repeat the same mistake.

Re your points:

1 - This brings to mind the old 1980s joke about Thatchers solution to unemployment which involved pushing tens of thousands of people off the Cliffs of Dover each week. My own improved idea is that we should sell the unemployed into slavery abroad so that the state gets back some of its investment in their education.

2 - I dont have to emigrate thankfully (yet anyway...), but Id imagine that if someone was forced to emigrate now and was somehow expected to return to gift us with their experience and skills earned elsewhere theyd tell us to rev up and f0ck off. Certainly I would. Id feel a lot more loyal to whatever country had opened its doors, as opposed to a country that had wished me to stop hanging about the place. I can only imagine how the people who fled in the 80s and 90s feel after coming back in the 2000s to buy a wildly overpriced shoebox 10 miles from amenities and being trapped in negative equity. I dont think future waves of emigrants will make the same mistake of returning.

3 - House prices are going to fall to their true level regardless, which is determined demand vs. supply. Supply is high, demand is low.

4 - See point 2. If a person was forced out of the country, Id doubt they would send back the steam of their piss.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69166983&postcount=6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 AlMadden

This talk of "stay away from Ireland if you can" does my head in !!!! Life goes on regardless of a recession/depression!!! People need to get on with it and stop giving out and complaining ,im sick of miserable people.Cheer up we're still alive!!!
    And I was offered 2 accountant jobs in the last 2 weeks , so some things are not so bad..:)

Thats great that you got offers of 2 jobs in the last few weeks your in the lucky minority . There is a few 100,000 out of work at the moment and getting worse .

I'm only trying to tell people out of the country how it is here at the moment . I'm not saying don't come home just don't come home to Ireland right now . If we all were just exagerting so much there wouldn't be so many poeple leaving the country would they .

The budget has just increased taxes and cut every thing else it can. They are cutting billions out of the economy in the next few years . Every single person in the country will have to try and live with the same expecnses n bills but with less money .

The Gov said they are being the country back to way it was in 2006 . That'd be grand if they would bring cost of living back to 2006 levels but they're not . They are expceting us to live with 2006 levels of money but at 2010 costs .

One simple example is that price of fuel has jumped from 1.26 Eruo to 1.36 over night casue the budget but it up by 4 cent Lt but the stations had already put it up by 6 cent a few days before . So you tell me where is 1.36 Lt the same as it was in 2006 .

I'll say it again and will continue to say it . " If you don't need to come home to Ireland right now Don't" Leave it for a few years and then come home .

You really don't get the full picture from outside the country how bad it really is here .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Ah, at the moment. Seriously, you dont have a clue. Do you know how much it costs to put a child through primary, secondary and third level education only for them to **** off to OZ or Canada or some place only for them not to return. Those who left in the 80's I can assure you that most of them left for good never to return.

Em...havent you ****ed off to Oz after being put through primary, secondary and third level education?

Em...havent you ****ed off to Oz after being put through primary, secondary and third level education?

No in a matter of fact I have not.... you don't know me buddy.

There is an old adage if you dont look after something you dont deserve it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement