Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water seeping through front door

Options
  • 15-11-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We're having a problem with our front door and Im hoping someone here can help. At the bottom of the door it looks as though water is seeping through from the outside. The door has been treated and was given 2 coats of ronseal external varnish during the summer.

Any ideas?? This is the view on the inside of the door.

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Hi G

Looks as if there is decay on the bottom of the panel where it joins the bottom rail.

How about a clear photo of the corresponding exterior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi G

Looks as if there is decay on the bottom of the panel where it joins the bottom rail.

Ill have it up this evening Double Barrel. Its very strange though as nothing has happened the door apart from me varnishing it during the summer with exterior varnish.

Hi G

Here you go Double Barrel. It looks as though the water is travelling down the grooves between the wood and pooling at the bottom. I still dont understand how this is not an issue with the door though and why the company are trying to fob me off. I just want it fixed in case it gets worse.

Hi G
    No easy fix I am afraid. A stopgap measure would be to apply a good quality calk to get you over the winter.

Caveat lector.
    Not having firsthand - on site - visual information, this door has serious pre-existing water deterioration at the meeting of the panel and bottom rail. Two (2) coats of exterior finish did not fix the problem and applying more coats of finish will not solve it either.

A professional painter may be able to make a fix by taking the effected area back to bare wood and applying a epoxy resin restoring agent such as Abatron or CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer), there are others. These products consist of a tough, flexible resin system in a solvent blend which aids in the restoration of rotted or deteriorated wood. The epoxy resin system chemically adhere to the wood fibres and significantly strengthens them while allowing for normal expansion and contraction. If the repairs are done properly they are very effective because of the special blend of solvents that allow them to migrate into the wood fibres and into the cellulose of the wood. Impregnation of the wood with these mixtures changes the cellulose of the wood into epoxy impregnated cellulose which resists the fungi, while reinforcing the wood, and accomplishing restoration.
    Depending on its condition it may be beneficial to take the entire door back to bare wood.

http://www.abatron.com/cms/

http://www.smithandcompany.org/

http://www.smithandcompany.org/WoodDoorRepair.html

http://www.conservepoxy.com/

Hi G
    No easy fix I am afraid. A stopgap measure would be to apply a good quality calk to get you over the winter.

Caveat lector.
    Not having firsthand - on site - visual information, this door has serious pre-existing water deterioration at the meeting of the panel and bottom rail. Two (2) coats of exterior finish did not fix the problem and applying more coats of finish will not solve it either.

A professional painter may be able to make a fix by taking the effected area back to bare wood and applying a epoxy resin restoring agent such as Abatron or CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer), there are others. These products consist of a tough, flexible resin system in a solvent blend which aids in the restoration of rotted or deteriorated wood. The epoxy resin system chemically adhere to the wood fibres and significantly strengthens them while allowing for normal expansion and contraction. If the repairs are done properly they are very effective because of the special blend of solvents that allow them to migrate into the wood fibres and into the cellulose of the wood. Impregnation of the wood with these mixtures changes the cellulose of the wood into epoxy impregnated cellulose which resists the fungi, while reinforcing the wood, and accomplishing restoration.
    Depending on its condition it may be beneficial to take the entire door back to bare wood.

http://www.abatron.com/cms/

http://www.smithandcompany.org/

http://www.smithandcompany.org/WoodDoorRepair.html

http://www.conservepoxy.com/

Hi Double Barrel,

Many thanks for getting back to me with that info. Im going to get back on to the company we bought the door off and get them to sort it out. This seems to be an issue with the door not being sealed properly. I know they dont guarantee solid wood products but they have to sort this out. We were advised that the door would need to be treated with exterior varnish, not stripped back and calked to stop it rotting.

• Advertisement

Im going to get back on to the company we bought the door off and get them to sort it out.

G
    How long ago (#of years) did you purchase the door ? New? :confused:

G
    How long ago (#of years) did you purchase the door ? New? :confused:

2 years last March. We bought all our windows and doors from a reputable company for our house. It was a new self build.

Thanks G.

Here I was thinking this was an "old" door that had seen better days.
    You are surely entitled to satisfaction imo.

Thanks G.

Here I was thinking this was an "old" door that had seen better days.
    You are surely entitled to satisfaction imo.

I know, my fault, should have mentioned it was only 2 years old. It just seems like it wasnt sealed or glued properly and to be honest Im ticked off that the suppliers are trying to get out of it. Ive contacted the Consumer Association for advice and will keep pushing the company. I need to get it sorted before the door gets too badly discoloured.

Not your fault at all.

The condition of the bottom section of the panel is what I was looking at to make the "old" comment.
    My cousin has a similar door that is 30+ years in an exposed location and it looks new in comparison.

Just so we are clear, is there deterioration, rot at the bottom of the t & g upright panel ?

5177574469_65dc507d07_z.jpg

When I enlarge your photo that is what I am seeing.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3552/pastedgraphic2.png

• Advertisement

Not your fault at all.

The condition of the bottom section of the panel is what I was looking at to make the "old" comment.
    My cousin has a similar door that is 30+ years in an exposed location and it looks new in comparison.

Just so we are clear, is there deterioration, rot at the bottom of the t & g upright panel ?

When I enlarge your photo that is what I am seeing.

Definitely looks like there is. They're saying that I have to pay €70 to have someone come out to look at it. Im wondering should I agree but once they find out the issue they have to sort it out without any cost to me?

Definitely looks like there is. They're saying that I have to pay €70 to have someone come out to look at it. Im wondering should I agree but once they find out the issue they have to sort it out without any cost to me?

I would not pay the €70 to them, you will not see it again.

Document it yourself.
    Clear "sharp" in focus photos to start.
    Pay a professional carpenter or painter to take a look and get them to determine what the condition is.

I would not pay the €70 to them, you will not see it again.

Document it yourself.
    Clear "sharp" in focus photos to start.
    Pay a professional carpenter or painter to take a look and get them to determine what the condition is.

Cool, my brother in law is a carpenter so Ill get him to look at it on Saturday and see what he says. I'll wait to see what the CAI say also about my rights and will push them to get it sorted. Thanks again Double Barrel. Great to get a bit of comfort in knowing that someone else thinks its serious!

Good luck and remember your best evidence is the evidence itself.

Advertisement