Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of PVC back door?

• 15-11-2010 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi folks!

We've been looking to replace our old back door with a new pvc door in our semi? The old timber door that's there now measures at 31x81 inches plus the frame.

So how much should we be paying for the new door and installing it? Plus I assume they'd take the old one away too?Located around the midlands if that matters?:)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Myyra wrote: »
    Hi folks!

We've been looking to replace our old back door with a new pvc door in our semi? The old timber door that's there now measures at 31x81 inches plus the frame.

So how much should we be paying for the new door and installing it? Plus I assume they'd take the old one away too?Located around the midlands if that matters?:)

Thanks!

Prices can vary considerably, so price around, I would budget €800-€1300, if you got it cheaper than that you'd be doing very very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

Thanks CBYR1983! That's pretty much what we've been thinking? Dont know much about these things so want to shop around so we dont get scammed:o

On one quote they said that putting a window in the door wouldnt affect the security aspect of it? Is that true? We'd prefer only a small window if nothing but most of the sellers seem to be very fixed on big windows?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

We are in the process of doing the same thing. very slow. I have been advised not to worry about the security aspect as pvc doors are easy to break through anyway. I will tell you how they do it only i dont think its legal on here.

My brother made a good point...He said the only deterrant is a good neighbour and an alarm. If they are determined to get in they will.

Get the door you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I suppose it depends on how much light you want. I think it's better to let in the light.

I have a white pvc back door, it's half and half, plain white panel at bottom (which I believe is insulated and reinforced) and toughened obscure glass at the top.

It has hook locks and espagnolettes. It is internally glazed, so the glazing unit can't be extracted from the outside. I believe that is very standard these days.

The only security feature I think it is missing are hinge "claws".

One saleman suggested that it was preferable to have a glazing panel over a re-inforced pvc panel. But I went with another crowd and their fitters were adamant that panels were well re-inforced.

Thankfully, nobody's tried to kick in the panel :)

With enough time, and intent, a burglar could smash the glass units.

An alarm is normally a worthwhile investment for a family home, with impact sensors and a dialler (so it texts you if something goes wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

Hi,

You should check out firms that are off loading stock. I know rationel were offloading stock from their edenderry warehouse during the summer at very competitive prices.

Liam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

Doctor_L wrote: »
    Hi,

You should check out firms that are off loading stock. I know rationel were offloading stock from their edenderry warehouse during the summer at very competitive prices.

Liam

Cheers, will give them a call later! Website looks pretty good, that's promising!

Advertisement