Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Stag this saturday

• 15-11-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Group of us (14-16 people) heading to Waterford from Limerick for the night on Saturday for a stag. All early - mid thirties, long term mates and well behaved. Can ye point us in the direction of a few pubs and clubs to suit us? Really don't want to end up in Waterfords version of Limerick's Angel Lane!

Thanks

Hooked

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Give us the low down on angel lane so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Where ye staying?
    There a couple of decent pubs spread around the city ideal for starting out ,first few rounds etc , Downes , Alfie Hales ,Taproom .The Showboat or Philly Grimes( if you like a couple of games of pool)
    Later on in the night ye'll find yourselfs having to move near the centre if ye want to follow the action ,late bars etc Revolutions and Kazbar decent spots
    With Harvey's been the final stop for most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Where ye staying?
    There a couple of decent pubs spread around the city ideal for starting out ,first few rounds etc , Downes , Alfie Hales ,Taproom .The Showboat or Philly Grimes( if you like a couple of games of pool)
    Later on in the night ye'll find yourselfs having to move near the centre if ye want to follow the action ,late bars etc Revolutions and Kazbar decent spots
    With Harvey's been the final stop for most.

Staying in Dooleys. few games of Pool might break up the day what with the Rugby on. Speaking of which... any Rugby spot or sports bar with screens etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭JShannow

Hey,

I'm from Limerick, living down here for 5 years now but often head out at home..

Basically there are only 5 or 6 pubs to head to in Waterford on a night like a stag, there are a few pubs that have been closed in the last year but are renovating and reopening but for now you have:

Geoffs is Waterfords version of Nancys, usually a good crowd.., Kazbar is across the road, often has a live band there on weekend (reminds me of Smyths on 3 levels), Revolution & Escape nightclub is around there kinda like Docs used to be... Masons around the corner too but that is basically Angle Lane only worse!!

On a Stag do you will probably end up in Harveys which is a late bar in the style of Flannerys but more nightclubish, (Icon\Sinbin type crowd) free in tho..

Hope that helps!

and I agree on ROCKMANS's ideas of where to start out from.. I gave a list of more later pubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Masons would be pretty good for games but i'd prefer the pubs up in ballybricken(Just ask where it's not far)

Later on in the day all basically in the same area start off in Geoffs early before and get one in (but only one IMHO) then it depends what your into there are plenty of "trendy" pubs being Kazbar, Harveys Masons, and Revelution which I'd imagine would be similar to the pubs on angel lane.

A bit of a walk down near where you are staying (again just asked where) called T&H Doolans which is good for sing song and trad music.

For Later on in the night I generally go to Harveys because it's usually an older crowd but I'm not a fan of the place.

Everything is close and the only place I'd say given your age to avoid would be escape due to the sea of teens that go there.

Cheers 'kid! (JShannow)... Ligind!

Will we get in wearin our tackies like?

Seriously - thanks for that. We're all Nancies/Clohessys/Icon goers in that order, so your advice is spot on. Really appreciate it!

Hooked wrote: »
    Staying in Dooleys. few games of Pool might break up the day what with the Rugby on. Speaking of which... any Rugby spot or sports bar with screens etc?

Alfies Hales in ballybricken is 5 min walk from Dooley's (up hill :D) Ok/Decent sports bar but will more than likely be showing football on the big screen on a Saturday afternoon. The TODDLE BAR (again 5/10min walk ) is only just opened as a sports bar ,haven't been in yet but reports are good ,other places you might try for the game is Masons (10/15 min walk or short taxi trip )or The Three Ships 10 mins walk ,no hills :D

Showboat is nice spot for pool/snooker only 5 mins from Hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Hooked wrote: »
    Cheers 'kid! (JShannow)... Ligind!

Will we get in wearin our tackies like?

Tackies! Now that brings me back to my UL days!

You should be alright in most places but I'd dress relatively smart if going to Harveys. Just because you'll be a stag party and you don't want to give the bouncers a reason to refuse you entry. In places like Revolution and Masons tackies are the dress code! But the crowd would be a bit young in those places for upstanding lads such as yourself!

As for rugby, Masons is touted a Sports Bar and has plenty of TVs. "The Three Shippes" by the people's park is somewhat of a rugby pub, it's about a 5-10 minute walk from the main city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Also can I just say how great the Waterford Forum is. I asked a few similar questions on the Dublin forum for my brother's stag last month and got little to no help. We rock! :D

• Advertisement

Also can I just say how great the Waterford Forum is. I asked a few similar questions on the Dublin forum for my brother's stag last month and got little to no help. We rock! :D

Agreed! As we're only down for the one night and in our thirties - the info above is spot on! Lived in Kilkenny for 5 years and never made the trip to Waterford. Looking forward to getting out of Limerick for a night out with the lads. It's about the only place we haven't been over the years on all the other stags. Thanks again to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

First class moderation is the key Johnny :)

ziedth wrote: »
    First class moderation is the key Johnny :)

Drink been the subject matter helps :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would like to hear more of angel lane

Angel Lane:

Despite the name it is just a nightclub, ha..

Kinda like how Rubys used to be........

Advertisement