Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating GMIT students graduate??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 College educ

From my experience this is common practice and it's not always the lecturers fault. I've worked in numerous centres and universities including NUIG and Mary I. I've failed students who have plagiarised, failed examinations and assignments and had the grade over turned because the university wants to make their pass rate look good. It's heads of department and deans that are involved, so the lecturer doesn't stand a chance. I've also seen students get their grades changed because they have appealed, one student passed after appealing and she had written nothing but her name and a summary of the question. Happens everywhere the system sucks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think it's a huge problem during exams. People blatantly getting their phone ready in their pocket on the way to the bathroom is a sickener. The invigilators definitely know too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 College educ

I think it's a huge problem during exams. People blatantly getting their phone ready in their pocket on the way to the bathroom is a sickener. The invigilators definitely know too.

Yes happens across the board. FETAC is the same heard recently from a student the lecturer had sent them home with the questions and answers for the exam to learn 12 of the fifteen they would sit the following week. Also two example long questions. One of which would be on the paper. These people are then getting into second year degree programmes.. based on their grades.. Not worth the paper they written on and we are supposed to have standardisation procedures in place. It's a laughing stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Yes happens across the board. FETAC is the same heard recently from a student the lecturer had sent them home with the questions and answers for the exam to learn 12 of the fifteen they would sit the following week. Also two example long questions. One of which would be on the paper. These people are then getting into second year degree programmes.. based on their grades.. Not worth the paper they written on and we are supposed to have standardisation procedures in place. It's a laughing stock.
    That's even worse when you know the context. Lecturers write two exams concurrently. One will be given at the end of semester. One will be the repeat. The lecturers don't know which will be used for which. In other words the lecturer gave all the information they possibly could about the exam.

There is frequently pressure applied to lecturers to at least ignore cheating, often to facilitate or initiate it.

Advertisement