Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Superthreads & Prefix's 3 months on.

• 15-11-2010 12:45pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So its been 3 months now since the Superthreads prefix idea was implemented,as we said in the announcement we would review it and give you your say.

My own thoughts are its been a great addition to the forum,I was in favor at one stage of moving the Superthreads out of the forum in order to clean the place up a bit.But this new prefix solution has worked fine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dub13 wrote: »
    So its been 3 months now since the Superthreads prefix idea was implemented,as we said in the announcement we would review it and give you your say.

My own thoughts are its been a great addition to the forum,I was in favor at one stage of moving the Superthreads out of the forum in order to clean the place up a bit.But this new prefix solution has worked fine.

I'll give you some completely useless feedback...

I haven't used the prefixes at all, i didn't mind the superthreads where they were and as a United supporter the Man Untied Supper thread is the thread I use most in here so would never really have use for making those threads invisible.

hope they have proved usefull for the people that do not wish to see the super threads clogging up the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The prefixes offer nothing for me but the superthreads keep all the day to day nonsense from clubs I've no real interest in in the one spot without the need for spin off threads.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Because the prefix is not visable it is unobtrusive and therefore ok. If it was kept the way it was at the start, that would have been a bit of a pain I thnik.

I had forgotten they were there, and don't use filters anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I don't use it all the time but the times i want only look for superthreads or normal threads it is very handy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

5starpool wrote: »
    Because the prefix is not visable it is unobtrusive and therefore ok.

I think this is the key point,it does not effect you if you don't mind the superthreads but if they do bother you its a easy fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't use them but I'm happy the endless debate about them has ended so I consider them a roaring success!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Never used the filters. We still have too much stuff going into "superthreads" and see other threads being drowned out.

Have other threads been replied to more often since the filter became available? That's the real test of their success (I think apathy has overtaken me with this forum, mods and admins are absolutely useless at actually adminning and structuring forums on this website).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I wanted this feature to be implemented, but in it's current state, it's not ideal. And could menimproved upon massively with a simple option to save your preference. Unfortunately, I can't see that happening for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It never bothered me either way so business as ususal for me. Though I can see why some would like them, so keep it going IMO.

Could we get a sperate forum for "Are Manager X and Club Y done?" threads though?:pac:

I find it handy when looking for the fantasy football thread/premier league predictions thread and match threads.

After 3 months, thumbs up :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Would love to be able to filter out all the threads about English football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

CiaranC wrote: »
    Would love to be able to filter out all the threads about English football

Why don't ya just go to a LOI forum if ya feel so strongly about it?

baz2009 wrote: »
    Why don't ya just go to a LOI forum if ya feel so strongly about it?
    Like where? (Dont say foot.ie)

The LOI and other league threads here are great, I just personally have no Interest in English football and it would be handy to be able to filter it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Made no difference to my life really, I barely notice them

The LOI and other league threads here are great, I just personally have no Interest in English football and it would be handy to be able to filter it out

Whatever about club/international/other league forums we could setup, I still don't see why boards.ie has no LOI forum, there seem to be a very passionate set of fans there that deserve their own space, rather than being drowned out. It could also be a big growth area membership wise, if moderated correctly (i.e. similar rules to the soccer forum as it is now to prevent fans clashing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I was tempted.:P

That'd be near impossible though, tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

They don't return all the superthreads. Couldn't find the Real Madrid one for instance.

astrofool wrote: »
    Whatever about club/international/other league forums we could setup, I still don't see why boards.ie has no LOI forum, there seem to be a very passionate set of fans there that deserve their own space, rather than being drowned out. It could also be a big growth area membership wise, if moderated correctly (i.e. similar rules to the soccer forum as it is now to prevent fans clashing)

Yes because alienating yourself from the main forum is the way to increase interest in the league.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yes because alienating yourself from the main forum is the way to increase interest in the league.
    You could create an EPL forum and have the thousands of posters move over there just to suit me :D

Ush1 wrote: »
    They don't return all the superthreads. Couldn't find the Real Madrid one for instance.

did you let anyone know about that?

It would be an easy fix for a mod to add a prefix to a thread title to get it working, but if they didn't know about the issue it wasn't going to get fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I haven't used them as I don't mind browsing around but it's good to see they have gone down well. Good work lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Tbh, I dont know why there isnt a MUFC and LFC supporters club like there is for us Spurs fans. I'm sure if enough of ye went to the Forum Requests forum they would be approved.

THFC wrote: »
    Tbh, I dont know why there isnt a MUFC and LFC supporters club like there is for us Spurs fans. I'm sure if enough of ye went to the Forum Requests forum they would be approved.

Sorry but it has to be done.

2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg

THFC wrote: »

personally, and selfishly, I would love a United sub-forum on here so that we could talk with the same group of forum users, but have more manageable conversations spread over threads as opposed to pages. However, I think, and have said in the past, that it is not what i feel would be best for the forum as a whole, and that if I want a United-centric board I can got to stretford-end.com, or redcafe.net etc - while Liverpool have IrishKop and other such sites.

Boards.ie/soccer doesn't need to go that route imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

did you let anyone know about that?

It would be an easy fix for a mod to add a prefix to a thread title to get it working, but if they didn't know about the issue it wasn't going to get fixed.

Well they know now.

AH yes, because the 1 LOI thread with superthreads on, and 3 without superthreads on the main page, really gives the LOI massive exposure on boards.ie.

astrofool wrote: »
    AH yes, because the 1 LOI thread with superthreads on, and 3 without superthreads on the main page, really gives the LOI massive exposure on boards.ie.

Gives it more exposure than if the threads were farmed out to some dark corner of the Soccer forum.

Out of sight, out of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

If you don't mind me asking, why is there a separate Spurs forum? Not a complaint but it seems odd that since before I joined the forum theres always been a separate Spurs supporters club and no other supporters club. How did it come about in the first place? And why Spurs?

MR NINE wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, why is there a separate Spurs forum? Not a complaint but it seems odd that since before I joined the forum theres always been a separate Spurs supporters club and no other supporters club. How did it come about in the first place? And why Spurs?

Cliff notes -

- An (ex?) admin was a Spurs fan and wanted a forum for him and his mates. Boards was relatively small at the time so the request was granted just like any other of the hosted fora.

- Boards grew, fans of other clubs saw the forum and had a whinge.

- Topic has been in Feedback regularly and has had more votes than the Nice Treaty.

- Votes came back in favour of no subforums so here we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Cool thats pretty much all I wanted to know. May I ask why there is also a Spurs team talk/gossip etc thread? Seems kinda pointless having both.

- An (ex?) admin was a Spurs fan and wanted a forum for him and his mates. Boards was relatively small at the time so the request was granted just like any other of the hosted fora.

Just on this point, boards.ie/soccer forum was not exactly small at the time, and it was in the face of similar requests for Utd/Liverpool forums being rejected first.

It was riding roughshod over anyone else to give WWM his jollies.

Incidentally, the "Community admin" Dav was meant to address this a while ago, but it, like a lot of the community drives on boards, has fallen by the wayside (time needed most likely).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You could create an EPL forum and have the thousands of posters move over there just to suit me :D

Welcoming as ever!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i have no idea what ye mean by prefixes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

event wrote: »
    i have no idea what ye mean by prefixes
    Then you don't have to be worrying about them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Cliff notes -

- Boards grew, fans of other clubs saw the forum and had a whinge.

- Topic has been in Feedback regularly and has had more votes than the Nice Treaty.

- Votes came back in favour of no subforums so here we are.

Ah, was unaware this topic was brought up before, only joined in august, apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The prefixes don't get in my way and the forum has managed to avoid being broken up so they get a thumbs up from me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The solution is almost perfect - the only negative is that changes aren't saved.
    The fact that it helps some users while not hindering others is a real achievement. This and autopaging has made many more threads visible for me that would otherwise have been lost beyond page 3.

Advertisement