Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats on kitchen worktops

• 15-11-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Just wondering really..

Was house sitting 4 cats last week. Don't have much experience with them myself, have only had one and it was years ago. Anyways it was fine, but something that really bothered me was that the cats kept jumping up onto the kitchen counters while we were cooking.

Im definitely not a clean freak when it comes to animals, my dogs are allowed where ever they want in the house and on the furniture, but on the counters? It really grossed me out, it seems so unhygenic and their hair was everywhere.

Is this the done thing with cats? Do all cat owners let their cats on the kitchen work tops? Its just the work tops that grosses me out, don't mind the couches or anything. Just curious!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I don't like my cats on the kitchen counters but it's near impossible to train them not to do it. We've tried putting them down immediately when they jump up, but they just do it when you're not around. We've used sprays, shouted "no", put them outta the room when cooking etc. Cats kinda do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I wouldn't call it 'the done thing' as such, it's just impossible to keep them off the counters. You may finally teach them that going up on the counters is not acceptable but as soon as you walk out of the room they will jump up if they feel like it. For example in my house my cat won't jump up in front of some people but when Im there she will jump up without a second thought or when noone's there you will still find telltale pawprints. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

mine are the same they go wherever they want there is no stopping them, i always just make sure to clean down the worktops and the kitchen table before i prepare food. I have on little fecker who sits on the windowsill observing what i do while i cook :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We don't allow the cats in the kitchen - period.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

I think that all cat owners know that, no matter how much we love them and how hard we try to stop them, our cats will do more-or-less whatever they want :rolleyes:
    If youre thinking of getting a pet and are worried about it being near your work surfaces/kitchen table/cooking facilities or anywhere else, then don't get a cat!
    We have three cats and two kittens at the moment. The kittens get into everything and we have to be extraordinarily careful with the boiling of any water and all cooking so that they don't get burned/scalded.
    Our older neutered male cat is the real boss of the house and sits on the draining board to 'supervise' all cooking and washing up. He also likes to 'taste' all food prepared to make sure it's nice enough for us to eat. Sometimes, when dinner is over, he'll get up on the table to check that we've been good and cleared our plates.
    My older girls, on the other hand, have realised that the human servants must do ALL work in the house and just spend their time relaxing like ladies of leisure.

I keep my kitchen very clean but I'm not anally retentive about it. The cats walk on stuff, we clean it and then we prepare food on it. We're not likely, at this stage, to catch anything that's likely to kill us.
    I'm not advocating living in filth or dirt but I'm firmly convinced that the over-sterilisation of our homes in this day and age is a huge contributing factor to the lack of strong immune systems in more recent generations and the inability to fight off simple infections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Yeah I guess I was just wondering if you can train them not to do it, Ihad a feeling the answer would be no!

Tbh the time I spent with them really put me off having a cat of my own. I think it was just because there were 4 of them, we were surrounded! I'd say one would be managable enough

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

It's near impossible to stop them jumping up. In the past I have used a small water pistol to squirt them and that did work for a while, but they became used to it and the novelty wore off. They still sneak up on the counter from time to time, I just make sure it's well cleaned afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Just wondering really..

Was house sitting 4 cats last week. Don't have much experience with them myself, have only had one and it was years ago. Anyways it was fine, but something that really bothered me was that the cats kept jumping up onto the kitchen counters while we were cooking.

Im definitely not a clean freak when it comes to animals, my dogs are allowed where ever they want in the house and on the furniture, but on the counters? It really grossed me out, it seems so unhygenic and their hair was everywhere.

Is this the done thing with cats? Do all cat owners let their cats on the kitchen work tops? Its just the work tops that grosses me out, don't mind the couches or anything. Just curious!

I can't answer for everyone else, but mine are certainly not allowed on kitchen tops.
    There are only two areas in the house that are off-limits to them, kitchen tops and table tops.

They're free to go everywhere else, but not near where we prepare and eat our food.

MaryK666 wrote: »
    I think that all cat owners know that, no matter how much we love them and how hard we try to stop them, our cats will do more-or-less whatever they want :rolleyes:
    If youre thinking of getting a pet and are worried about it being near your work surfaces/kitchen table/cooking facilities or anywhere else, then don't get a cat!
    We have three cats and two kittens at the moment. The kittens get into everything and we have to be extraordinarily careful with the boiling of any water and all cooking so that they don't get burned/scalded.
    Our older neutered male cat is the real boss of the house and sits on the draining board to 'supervise' all cooking and washing up. He also likes to 'taste' all food prepared to make sure it's nice enough for us to eat. Sometimes, when dinner is over, he'll get up on the table to check that we've been good and cleared our plates.
    My older girls, on the other hand, have realised that the human servants must do ALL work in the house and just spend their time relaxing like ladies of leisure.

I keep my kitchen very clean but I'm not anally retentive about it. The cats walk on stuff, we clean it and then we prepare food on it. We're not likely, at this stage, to catch anything that's likely to kill us.
    I'm not advocating living in filth or dirt but I'm firmly convinced that the over-sterilisation of our homes in this day and age is a huge contributing factor to the lack of strong immune systems in more recent generations and the inability to fight off simple infections.

To some extent yes. But I could not live as you do either. And we do not over sterilise. Simply the cats are not allowed near food or preparation of food. Basic hygiene.

Nor are the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

I think that all cat owners know that, no matter how much we love them and how hard we try to stop them, our cats will do more-or-less whatever they want rolleyes.gif

were the same pretty much are cat doesnt take no to well and she hates the floor because of the dogs she has an area in the kitchen on a counter knowone uses where she eats drinks thats on a sheet aswell just incasde we decieded to use it but she doesnt tend to walk whereever she wants on the counters/table! we clean them before we prepare are food ect but were not overly fussy weve done it the same way as long as ive remebered and it really doesnt effect us!

and to point out where she eats her food is well away from where we prepare or eat but she wont eat it done on the floor cause of dogs!

• Advertisement

MaryK666 wrote: »

It would be interesting to know if there has ever been a study done to see if pet owning homes were less/more likely to get sick from simple infections, especially homes where pets are allowed into areas where food is prepared and eaten.

Both cat and dog are allowed in the kitchen, dog spends most of his time in the kitchen and the cat does jump up on work surfaces. I rarely ever get sick, only the odd cold maybe once a year even when Im around other sick people I rarely ever pick up anything from them. :confused: It would be interesting to know if my lack of illness has anything to do with close contact with pets.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know if there has ever been a study done to see if pet owning homes were less/more likely to get sick from simple infections, especially homes where pets are allowed into areas where food is prepared and eaten.

Both cat and dog are allowed in the kitchen, dog spends most of his time in the kitchen and the cat does jump up on work surfaces. I rarely ever get sick, only the odd cold maybe once a year even when Im around other sick people I rarely ever pick up anything from them. :confused: It would be interesting to know if my lack of illness has anything to do with close contact with pets.

So you think that maybe we should allow cats and dogs to share our dishes and sit on our food to stay healthy? YUKK!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Graces7 wrote: »
    So you think that maybe we should allow cats and dogs to share our dishes and sit on our food to stay healthy? YUKK!

i dont think there saying share plates but have a bit of leeway and not be cleaning every area your animal has touched!
    Both cat and dog are allowed in the kitchen, dog spends most of his time in the kitchen and the cat does jump up on work surfaces. I rarely ever get sick, only the odd cold maybe once a year even when Im around other sick people I rarely ever pick up anything from them. confused.gif It would be interesting to know if my lack of illness has anything to do with close contact with pets.

i have to agree my cat and dogs are allowed any where and we are very rarely sick wouldnt pick up illness from friends when there sick ect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I can't keep my cats off my counters, even if I tried to train them I am at work for eight hours a day so they would inevitably just sit there when I was out anyway!

I clean my counter tops about six times a day, before and after preparing food and at other times after I have seen them up there.

I imagine my counter tops are actually cleaner than most people's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The few times my cats jumped up on the counter tops he's gotten a firm "NO and Down" from me. Its a food prep area and as much as its hard to control bacteria they carry around, the kitchen counter top is a bit too close for comfort for me. Not bothered about anywhere else though and sure god knows what he gets up to when im not there.

anniehoo wrote: »
    The few times my cats jumped up on the counter tops he's gotten a firm "NO and Down" from me. Its a food prep area and as much as its hard to control bacteria they carry around, the kitchen counter top is a bit too close for comfort for me. Not bothered about anywhere else though and sure god knows what he gets up to when im not there.

This is what I feel about it. A bit too close for comfort is spot on. I am definitely NOT anal about cleaning at all, like I said my dogs are allowed everywhere, in the kitchen etc and on the couches and beds. But near food is just really gross.

If my dogs had the ability to jump on counter tops I still wouldn't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Anyone who has kittens / cats and thinks their pets don't go up on the counters when they are not around really are fooling themselves!

We have two kitties, 8 and 9 months old. Wont go near the kitchen tops when we are around but they certainly have a disco when we are out.. paw prints are a give away and for some reason they have a fascination with the sink. Bumper pack of Dettol wipes always on hand, counters sprayed and wiped down before we prepare any food and again after.

Seems to work fine, no-one ill yet. We are hoping that they may loose interest as they get older... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Right there with Plek trum! Ours stay downstairs - or at least they do when we're at home, most of the time. Doors are always closed upstairs....I don't want everything covered in cat hair.

They're good about not being on the counter while we're in the room, but I've no doubt they hop up when we're not. I know one in particular likes perching on the window above the sink to watch the garden.....but kitchen and table tops are out of bounds while we're at home. And I should take out shares in Dettol at this stage....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Zapperzy wrote: »

+1... it would be fairly interesting to see a comparison! Haven't heard anything about pet owners health vs non pet owners, but i know that studies have shown that people who have had worms as children are way less likely to become asthmatic. Kind of interesting!

I do hate how ad exec's these days seem to be trying to panic mothers into using their products by showing fake 'closeups' of countertops teeming with bacteria... guess what people - everything is teeming with bacteria!! That's, literally, life. And all the panicky cleaning probably is making people's immune systems crappier.

But as a lot of people here have said... I still wouldn't be mad about the idea of any animals climbing on my kitchen countertops :p

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Ours only ever jump on the little bit by the sink where they can see through the back door. But they do sit on the kitchen table from time to time - generally right after I've washed it! They get told 'no' and taken down from it.

I wouldn't have them sitting on the counter while I'm preparing food though - they sit on the floor and miaow til they've at least gotten a sniff of everything!

• Advertisement

Its not the fear of picking up germs or diseases, if I was afraid of that then I wouldnt be kissing and cuddling my doggies as much as I do ;)

I just find it a bit gross, hair everywhere and thecounter tops were filthy. Could be down to the owners though more then the cats! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Any cats (6) we have had over the years were never allowed on work surfaces in the kitchen and none ever jumped up except the cat we have now she has done it 3 times in 6 months she knows she is not allowed up there and only did it when we tried to take her off wet food and put her on dry food, now that we have put her back on wet food she doesn't jump up on to the kitchen work surfaces/table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

I found my cat on the fridge once, she must of jumped up from the kitchen counter. I woke her up and told her NO, theres no evidence she's beent there again (hair etc).
    She hardly goes near the kitchen now in fact one day I was running late and fed her but left her food in her bowl on the counter beside the fridge and it was there untouched when I got home.
    I got her from the DSPCA and I think whoever had her before me must of been able to train her in the basic no instruction because she really knows what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Absolutely you can teach a cat not to climb on kitchen surfaces, my 9 year old cat is trained where she can and cannot go in the house the same as the dogs. I recently got a new couch in the kitchen and she has since been taught not to get on it also (she has her own bed in the kitchen). I would be horrified if I found her on a kitchen surface!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

pity they wouldn't peel the spuds when they are up on the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I don't find it a problem. My cats know very well they shouldn't be up there, you can tell by the guilty face if one is caught:) But they hardly ever try cos I'm really careful not to leave any food out, so there's nothing of interest for them. It doesn't worry me though, I'd always clean the counter before preparing food anyway. If it did bother me I'd leave the kitchen door shut....simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,616 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Previously when we had just one cat at a time it was possible to train them not to go on counters, but they were a few years old before they were in any way reliable, and I wouldn't trust them if there were 'interesting' food out. Now we have two young cats they are much less biddable, but they do know they are not allowed on counters and tables, as you can tell by the speed they get down if they are caught.

I have a fairly laid back approach to housework, though I do keep the kitchen clean (if not tidy;)) and am very fussy about hand washing, and I do not recall any case when the whole family got a 'tummy bug' and only very rarely when an individual got one.

Graces7 wrote: »

Eh not at all what I was saying, I was just wondering was there any link between strong immune systems and pets in areas where food is prepared. I never mentioned sharing plates or sitting on food. :confused: I don't exactly let my cat or dog eat from the same plate as me. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Have a cat 9 years and can count on one hand the number of times she was on the counters. She knows well she is not allowed. Saying that she is not left in the kitchen on her own.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I've got a year and a half old, a year old and a twelve week old and I'd say, yes you can teach them not to do things. My guys will jump as high as the kitchen chairs and no higher, they know they're not allowed on the table or the countertops. They're not allowed in the kitchen when we're not around though, although that's more to do with the fact that we have ferrets in the kitchen and dont want the cats taunting them while we're out.

Advertisement