Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Blue

• 15-11-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Researching this breed at the minute with the view to possibly getting a pup.

Has anyone here got one or had one in the past ? Any (helpful)advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

A friend of mine has one. Fair bit of grooming involved. Plus you have to remove hair from inside their ears and they dont like it. And they are very strong willed. You have to be the boss. High energy dogs.

That said, they are very very loyal. Quite protective and good with kids too. Great watch dogs. I would like one myself to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Fantastic dogs:D

we had one years ago and there is nothing our guy would not do for his family. energetic happy dog brilliant with old and young. Ours was very easy to train and I would say high intelligence too. very protective of the whole family. ( I am used to GSD's and our KB was not far behind them with smarts)
    grooming we had no issues with and had no problems with hair in ears or with anything else health wise really. we did cut off his coat in the summer as it was very long but apart from that the biggest issue was the smell in winter after he had been out in the fields.;)
    It was also a job to keep him out of water as he loved it....sun or snow he would fling himself off the bank into the water.
    I have heard that the KB's in Ireland now are agressive but not sure how true that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I had a Kerry Blue cross who had a lot of behavioural problems - chiefly dominance and aggression to other dogs. Was told by a vet that the Kerry Blue streak was to blame. I think you may need to be a strong, dominant owner and start training early. Plus side - intelligent and loyal, and great fun, never a boring moment.

Advertisement