Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help!!!

• 15-11-2010 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

My boyfriend is very into kayaking on his days off and I'd love to get him something for Christmas for kayaking. I would like to get something like an accessory. Something that's not at all necessary for kayaking but is very cool to have. An example would be like a little camera that attaches to the helmet so you can video tape everything. Only I don't want to get the camera because his friend that he goes with has one. Could anyone suggest anything? I guess my budget is hopefully under 100e but I would spend over that and combine it as his birthday present too if it was worth it. Thank you in advance for all your help!

KT :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

What about a really cool helmet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

A decent sized pelicase, waterproof phone pouch, drybags, a kissu, a day's coaching with a professional kayaking coach, a couple of kayaking dvds, if the mate has a waterproof still camera, then maybe a Go Pro Hero, or vice versa, an Olympus Stylus camera. Roof rack for the car? Pogies for the cold.

What kind of kayaking?
    If it's sea kayaking, maybe a waterproof set of maps? (not just any though, find out from someone where'd be good maps to buy, as in, maps of somewhere nice to go paddling). Couple of locking biners, towline, throwbag, slings, pulleys

You could put together a kit of a couple of things, if you can't decide on one bug thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hi,

Wet-Paint (JK?) is pretty much bang on the money with what he says.

Adrian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Wet paint has some good ideas, except about the Olympus. Don't get that its rubbish. Pentex or Sony do much better waterproof compacts.

Another cool option would be the syno(sp?) Waterproof HD camcorders. It's the bright yellow one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Ken.

The camera your referring to is an Sanyo VPC- Wh1 they are only okay I have one but most importunity remember we are taklking sub €100. Your unlikely to get much in the way of a quality camera for that price.

Adrian

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

I have an Olympus and so do some of my mates and we use them constantly on the water, mine is over 3 years old and has gone through everything thrown at it and can take excellent pics as well as decent video with sound. Every photo in our galleries have been take on the Olympus.

But yea good camera sub €100 hard to find!!!!

You would get 4 or 5 decent DVD's for under 100 maybe more if you ebay it!!!

If he has a dry suit or good dry gear a Full set of snazzy thermals would be a great present in my eyes. Lots of choice here

Hope this helps
    Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Same, Paddy. The only complaint about the Olympus is that it doesn't hold its charge if left for a long time between uses, the shots it takes are great.
    Ken, all the ones I took in africa were on it, and they worked out great, although that could have been the light there too.

Advertisement