Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help in Cork with my build

Options
  • 15-11-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Right folks, Im asking this hear because im sure the people in this forum have a lot more experience in

OK, so my computer has been acting up majorly in the passed few weeks/months.

At the end of the summer It would not boot. All the fans, lights would come on, the GPU fans would spin and the HDD would spin but no bios/post screen and no beeps. I had to fiddle around with some ram sticks or plug outsome cables and plug them back in before the computer would finally boot up.
    This has been going on for ages. Then came yesterday. I was in the middle of a relatively heavy 3D application and the computer crashed. No BSOD no warnings just gone. Turned it back on and started the same application and once again after 30mins of playing it, it shuts off without warning.
    This would indicate its the PSU, however now when i boot the PC it goes back to the stage that it was at in August, No POST or beeps or bios screen. All the lights, fans are working, HDD spins but it just doesnt start.

What i need now is to be able to test the items in my computer. None of my friends have sufficient systems to be able to test my stuff.
    I need to test the CPU (LGA775), RAM (DDR2 PC6400 800mhz) and the PSU.

Does anyone know how much the Cork COmputer clinic would charge to test my stuff, once i know what part is faulty i will just buy a new part. Im thinking it might be the Mobo or PSU (Hoping its not the CPU).

Can anyone help me? Im driven mad by it at this stage :(

Specs
    Gigabyte N680-SLI-DQ6
    Q6700 Quad
    8800GTX SLi
    Corsair XMS2 6400 4gb (DDR2)
    PSU is a Forton Source Epsilon 1010w

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

not too sure at all about prices of PC clinics but this sounds like either a PSU problem or a perhaps some of your Capacitor's have blown or leaked, one you can look for with a torch or light to see if any of the Capacitor's are leaking or swollen (if it is then it will just degrade more and a new motherboard is needed)

The other problem is if its the PSU all you need to test this is to borrow or try another computer and sit it next to your own none booting PC and disconnect the power supply from one mother board and connect it to the one you know works! (like a jump-start of a car battery)

Capacitor's
    10092010004.jpg

Jumpstart
    10092010007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

nvus wrote: »
    not too sure at all about prices of PC clinics but this sounds like either a PSU problem or a perhaps some of your Capacitor's have blown or leaked, one you can look for with a torch or light to see if any of the Capacitor's are leaking or swollen (if it is then it will just degrade more and a new motherboard is needed)

The other problem is if its the PSU all you need to test this is to borrow or try another computer and sit it next to your own none booting PC and disconnect the power supply from one mother board and connect it to the one you know works! (like a jump-start of a car battery)

The capacitors appear to be ok. I dont have another PSU to test with. None of my friends have desktops which i can test the PSU with. Thats the problem. I called a few places to see what they could do for me. One place said all they could do was a software check. Which isnt much use considering the computer cant be booted up :rolleyes:

Cork Computer clinic said they can test hardware and it would be €40 which seems a bit steep for just plugging a PSU in. Although it looks as if i will have to resort to that. Which is annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

40 bucks is almost half your budget for getting a new PSU! So I'd ask around if I was you for a PSU you can test 1st. its not hard at all you just need to unplug the PSU from the other mother boards (2 places 4pin 24pin) and plug them into yours, no need at all for heavy rewiring.

still 40€ for this seems about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I'll have a look see if I can find that PSU I have that should power up your beast. Sad to hear its back to giving trouble, pity you didn't RMA it way back when it first went kaboom.

MC

I'll have a look see if I can find that PSU I have that should power up your beast. Sad to hear its back to giving trouble, pity you didn't RMA it way back when it first went kaboom.

MC

How ya doing :pac:
    I know, It behaved itself for a few weeks working like a charm but all of a sudden it went kaput again. Im kicking myself for not RMA'ing it when i got it first from Komplett. Ah well that life i suppose.

There might not be any need for the PSU though MC, I suckered into dropping it into a shop today. I called up the lads @ CorkComputers and they have it at the moment. Lads seemed fairly sound. I hope they dont charge me through the roof though. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

NO prob keep us posted on what they think it might be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 johnallen

Could be cpu over heating, make sure the cpu cooler is properly fitted to the motherboard / redo the thermal paste if you can.

Use Real temp from here: link to monitor cpu temp.

johnallen wrote: »
    Could be cpu over heating, make sure the cpu cooler is properly fitted to the motherboard / redo the thermal paste if you can.

Use Real temp from here: link to monitor cpu temp.

But if the CPU cooled down shouldnt it start then? I removed the CPU and looked at it and it seemed ok.

EDIT: I was measuring temps before the "Crash" and CPU temps never went above 40-50C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Hogzy wrote: »
    But if the CPU cooled down shouldnt it start then? I removed the CPU and looked at it and it seemed ok.

EDIT: I was measuring temps before the "Crash" and CPU temps never went above 40-50C

You did clean it off and re-apply TIM didnt you ?

40 quid would buy you a PSU which if you took one of those 8800's out it would run no problems, plus you'd have a spare if anything ever went wrong

Deano12345 wrote: »
    You did clean it off and re-apply TIM didnt you ?

40 quid would buy you a PSU which if you took one of those 8800's out it would run no problems, plus you'd have a spare if anything ever went wrong

When you say "TIM" i presume you mean thermal paste... If so yes i reapplied it.
    If it is the PSU, what i will probably do is sell the 8800's and buy a GTX460. It will be depressing selling them as they have been fantastic performers over the years and i know ill struggle to get €100 for them. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement