Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours either side have UPC broadband but only tv is available to me?

Options
  • 15-11-2010 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

i live in a student apartment complex in galway city. the broadband provided is very poor and my apt wants to get our own broadband. however no landline is available. i found out about upc broadband, which is offered at high speeds without a landline needed.the broadband will be divided between 5 people so it wil be the 30mb option. i checked availability on their website and it was not offered to my complex, however the housing estates about 100 feet either side of me can recieve it. im not an expert on how it works but i was thinking that getting the broadband box delivered to a location that could receive it and just putting it in our apartment as the broadband coverage is probably general as a land line is not needed. can anyone offer advice on this problem??

ps. i have also CALLED upc and they tell me its not available in my area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

UPC is cable. If there isn't a cable junction close to your apartment you wont get it.

As far as the neighbouring estates are concerned if they are new developments they may have been cabled while being built.

Another scenario could be if the student apartment block is new it may not have existed when UPC were installing cables in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

FSL wrote: »
    UPC is cable. If there isn't a cable junction close to your apartment you wont get it.

As far as the neighbouring estates are concerned if they are new developments they may have been cabled while being built.

Another scenario could be if the student apartment block is new it may not have existed when UPC were installing cables in the area.
    I don't think any of those scenarios would explain why only TV is available... Is it possible that the apartment block is fed by MMDS, or that broadband is being deliberetely excluded at the request of the apartment complex owners? If it's purpose-built student accommodation they may insist on internet access through the official provider only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is it possible that the apartment block is fed by MMDS, or that broadband is being deliberetely excluded at the request of the apartment complex owners?

That's usually the case. A management company might have an exclusive deal with the other company, or some other reason to exclude UPC. It happens all over the place, and I don't think there's anything you can do about it. I would have thought this would be anti competitive, but it appears to be perfectly acceptable and legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

True enough jor el, but my point is specifically that TV from UPC may be available but UPC were instructed not to broadband-enable the complex itself. I'm not sure how plausible this is or not. Given the title of the the thread, it seems like UPC will offer him/her TV at least.

OP:
    If it was possible to get a quick lend of another UPC customer's modem, you can plug it into the TV cable to see if a DOCSIS signal does show up on the cable. If it does work, you could have a friend order UPC, you pay the bill and you take the modem over to your flat and use it there. But I assume this would breach UPC's terms and conditions and they will not support you if you do have technical difficulties with the connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The complex might have a built in headend, do you students have set top boxes with NTL or UPC logos or do you plug a TV into an aerial socket the wall.....and how many channels do you get ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buggabites

we get about 15 channels through an aerial cable in the wall. i think it was marketed as ntl channels in the brochure. any other suggestions of broadband providers? the speed im currently running at is: ping.94ms upload of 0.44 mb/s and a download of.....wait for it..... 0.22 mb/s. thats at 1am. around 10pm is when its busiest. yesssss :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Seems like an analogue block feed not a proper UPC service at all. The first thing is to upgrade the feed to your apartment to an UPC Digital Service with decoder box in apartment. Yes you may have to pay for the extra channels.

If you cannot get that you certainly cannot get broadband.

Advertisement