Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to source a logo?

Options
  • 15-11-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

I've been asked by a friend in the trade to create a new website for his company. He's got no logo for his business though, and while I'm fine designing sites, logo skills I don't have.

The logo will need to be modular, he'll have 3 sites, one selling car parts, one for Mini servicing/sales, and one for car tuning, so if you can imagine, the same logo with maybe some sort of picture next to it to depict the specific part of the business.

Could someone give me an estimate on what the going rate is for pricing? Is crowdsourcing a viable way to do this, or is that frowned upon? Pretty green with this, normally I'd just go with whatever logo the business already has, so I'd appreciate any advice. If I've asked any questions which would upset the digital design community, apologies in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You could use a stock site like logoyes.com for something simple & basic. Not great, but may be better than doing it yourself.

Also, some of the vector stuff on istockphoto too might be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

You could PM me? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

To be honest, the answer to your question can only be given based on what you want to achieve with this logo. Ninety nine times out of a hundred, crowdsourcing will result in a poor logo which is designed with little or no knowledge of the client's needs/competitors/history etc. The majority of designs featured on sites like 99designs are rip-offs of other logos. Also, you get little creativity within these 'competitions'. The people will see which the competition holder likes, via feedback on the site, and then make logos based around which has got the highest feedback. You might say, "well that good isn't it?". I'd say not. It limits exploration and creativity. You're giving people an easy route to an end goal. Essentially, with corwdsourcing, the competition holder guides the 'designers' in creating a logo they want. In a regular design process, the designer tells the client what they need and what would best provide them with the most effective solution.

I hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 HungryChicken

If you'd like to provide more information on the business, the three sites and the website design, I'll do up some proposal draft logos for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Thanks for the input and advice guys, in the end, I spent 3 hours with CorelDRAW and a stack of Youtube tutorials today, and came up with something nice. Customer's happy anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 terrence109

Thanks for the posting ...I am looking for this...

Advertisement