Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XBOX 360S system update issue and another story that's not quite as good

• 15-11-2010 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Hello.

Just wondered if anyone's had a similar issue. I currently have no internet connection at home (waiting until I move to a UPC enabled area in January until I commit to a contract if you were wondering).

I sourced details to update my 360S 250GB manually using a USB stick. Following the instructions posted here. However my 360S will read the USB stick and recognize it, but when I power off/on it won't detect an update is on the stick and thus I cannot get it to update. I haven't tried the CD/DVD method yet, will do so tonight.

Has anyone else had issues manually updating their XBOX 360 dashboard?

The main reason I want to update it is because I bought Outrun 2 for the original XBOX to play on my 360S. I checked the BC list and Outrun 2 works fine apparently. My 360S reads the disc, displaying the title fine on the Dashboard. However when I load the game it states the disc is unreadable. I tried cleaning it but still it's unreadable. The disc has a few minor scratches but nothing I'd suggest as being serious enough to warrant the disc unreadable. Hence I figured a system update might help in adding whatever is needed to recognise the disc.

Any ideas? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

might be worth checking that the USB drive is FAT32 formatted?

edit: oh wait this is about backwards compatibility? i didnt think that was anything to do with the dashboard :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    might be worth checking that the USB drive is FAT32 formatted?

Yep done that too. Tried various USB media too and all the available USB ports on the 360S.

edit: Also forgot to mention, my 360S was shop-bought brand new, only had it a couple of months. So it's not been 'modified' in any way and was bought as a 250GB not a 4GB with an HDD added later.

and you moved the contents of the unzipped file onto the drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I might be a million miles off here, but you're looking at the US version of xbox.com - perhaps try changing your locality to Ireland then downloading that file again...

http://support.xbox.com/en-ie/pages/xbox-360/how-to/update-xbox-360/system-updates.aspx - the file it links to there has a totally different file name to the one on your page...

tman wrote: »
    I might be a million miles off here, but you're looking at the US version of xbox.com - perhaps try changing your locality to Ireland then downloading that file again...

http://support.xbox.com/en-ie/pages/xbox-360/how-to/update-xbox-360/system-updates.aspx - the file it links to there has a totally different file name to the one on your page...

Great find, nice one! It certainly looks like it could resolve the issue. I'll try this tonight. Thanks a million!

I wonder if it will solve the Outrun 2 issue though? Would the 360S already have past compatibility updates already installed on it? If so, I guess it means my disc is wrecked. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope, you need to download a compatibility update for each game before it will run. Also the BC list is a load of BS, some games on itjust plain won't run. My experience with Outrun 2006 is that the game runs fine for 30 minutes then the sound starts to go and then it crashes after about 45 minutes playing it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope, you need to download a compatibility update for each game before it will run. Also the BC list is a load of BS, some games on itjust plain won't run. My experience with Outrun 2006 is that the game runs fine for 30 minutes then the sound starts to go and then it crashes after about 45 minutes playing it.

I bought Outrun 2 and Outrun 2006 (though 2006 hasn't arrived yet). Not promising to hear that 2006 crashes. Looks OK on the YouTube videos of both games though?

I read somewhere that updates are prompted at disc boot? If that's true then I guess the Outrun 2 disc is actually wrecked as I get no prompt just a Disc Unreadable message. :(

Theres talk of a XBLA version coming isnt there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You were viewing the old UpdateSteps page, sure the Dashboard version you downloaded from that page is 2.0.9199 - you're already on that if you own a Slim :p

The right version you need is 12611, which is on the page linked above by the other poster.

Cheers everyone. Must have been fate creating this thread today as when I got home tonight Outrun 2006 was waiting for me on the mat.

The update on USB worked first time and 2006 worked straight away. My copy of Outrun 2 still doesn't work though so its definitely a wrecked disc.

Glad to have had a nostalgia trip tonight though. Thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement